Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss Toplef10help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss I22gcj10help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss Toplef10help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss I22gcj10help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Can I sew row cover material?
by ktomchik Today at 8:05 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Garden Bells! Hoe! Hoe! Hoe!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:22 am

» My NWA garden
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:04 am

» vermiculite vs. perlite
by PVPind 5/31/2024, 3:33 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/31/2024, 1:28 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 5/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by DuluthLori 5/30/2024, 3:12 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/29/2024, 3:08 pm

» Dealing with Critters in Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/28/2024, 10:32 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/28/2024, 8:56 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/28/2024, 8:53 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by lisawallace88 5/28/2024, 8:07 am

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by donnainzone5 5/27/2024, 8:04 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 5/27/2024, 7:15 pm

» Anyone know about growing plumeria ?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/27/2024, 1:54 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson 5/27/2024, 1:47 pm

» Memorial Day
by sanderson 5/27/2024, 1:00 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/26/2024, 1:23 pm

» Tomatoes not having growth
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 11:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2024, 5:35 pm

» Spring Flowers
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 10:47 am

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/23/2024, 8:15 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss

+4
johnfromfl
SirTravers
Garden_State
gailgardens
8 posters

Go down

help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss Empty help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss

Post  gailgardens 5/25/2010, 8:40 am

I'm a first-time gardener. I filled a 4x4 bed last night and forgot to moisten the "non-soil" part of mix. Read in Mel's book that this was important in terms of the vermiculite being able to hold moisture for the life of the garden (not just bc it's dry and dusty to work with).

Consult - should I lightly moisten it now? by spraying and turning it over many times (have spray mist nozzle on hose or a spray bottle). Haven't planted anything yet, but need to plant soon. Thanks, Gail

P.s. It might rain later today.

Last edited by gailgardens on 5/25/2010, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
gailgardens

Back to top Go down

help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss Empty Re: help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss

Post  Garden_State 5/25/2010, 8:45 am

Hi - I did not moisten the mix prior to loading into the beds. Did not want it to be so heavy while lugging across the yard in buckets. Once I filled the bed it watered lberally until water was coming out of the bottom of the bed. This packed down the mix some and I added some more mix to fill out the bed. Have not had any issues with long term moisture holding power.
Garden_State
Garden_State

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss Empty Re: help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss

Post  SirTravers 5/25/2010, 9:02 am

I have to agree with Garden_State. I live out here in NM where the wind can be rough. I had to work fast to mix up everything so it didn't all blow away so I waited until I filled the bed and then watered the mix and stirred it around after I had it loaded into the garden box. To me it just made more sense to pour in the dry mix than try to shovel it in which would have taken much longer.
Your waterhose and an adjustable spray nozzle sprinkler handle are your best friends in this case. Just set the spray to a medium wide fan and just walk back and forth while soaking your mix. You'll be suprised how much soaks in before you see any water run out the bottom of the box.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfromfl 5/25/2010, 9:10 am

I didn't get the mix too wet either before I put it into the frame. (water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon) It needed a lot of water to look moist. I filled the frame with partially wet mix then water a few days before seeding. I then check the moisture by digging into the mix. When it looked moist enough, I seeded my frames.

Because of the high evaporation rate and the heat of my area here in Florida, I water my garden twice a day. Mel is right about the water saving that the SFG does. I use to water a regular garden for 45 minutes. It now takes me at the most 5 minutes to make sure the plants don't wilt. I have 4 frames and soon to have more.
johnfromfl
johnfromfl

Male Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/25/2010, 9:20 am

Ditto what everyone else had said. I'll just add that peat moss is difficult to rehydrate, so spray light to medium. Stir and repeat. You'll be surprised at how much water it will take. And then, I've learned not to let the squares dry out. Mel states to just water the plants, but I found out if the empty squares dry out they are difficult to rehydrate.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  SirTravers 5/25/2010, 9:54 am

belfrybat wrote:I found out if the empty squares dry out they are difficult to rehydrate.
Agreed! I water my boxes 3 times a day just to keep things moist and spongy because this desert air dehydrates everything.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/25/2010, 10:15 am

glad you\'re here to the forum.

Water heavily; go have a cup of coffee. Stir the mix top to bottom; water heavily; go have a cup of coffee. Repeat. You might as well get used to not working hard in your sfg! happy dance

When the mix is dry, you can start watering the top and in 10 seconds see water running out the bottom. It takes a lot of water and time to get everything saturated. Be sure to scoop to the bottom to make sure that it is all saturated.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/26/2010, 2:35 am

You were supposed to wet it first? Haha!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 5/26/2010, 3:23 am

Mother Nature helped me out...my son and I mixed everything dry (way easier when it doesn't weigh much!)...and that night began a soaking rain that hung around for three days.

No water bills, no hose...and it was all good and moist at the end of the three days.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

help - forgot to lightly moisten vermiculite/peat moss Empty re: moistening non-soil mix

Post  gailgardens 5/27/2010, 9:36 pm

Thanks for all who coached/commented on moistening my mix after I got it in the beds. It's helpful to know I need to water more than Mel's advice implies. It gets very hot - although usually very humid - here outside Washington, DC in the summers. Plus this first bed of mine is not a "pure" Mel's mix - has some garden soil bc I had already started it before I read his book (for that reason also, it will probably need more
water).
gailgardens

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfromfl 5/27/2010, 9:51 pm

Gail.....just remember to keep the garden mix moist. Not too wet that you drown your plants or too dry that they die. Mel's book is for Mel's area. Like what you read in our posts, we are all different climates and you should adjust for your area as to watering etc.

Good luck with your gardening. It's well worth the minimal work and the wait for an abundant harvest.
johnfromfl
johnfromfl

Male Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down