Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Toplef10May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 I22gcj10May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Toplef10May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 I22gcj10May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

+3
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
PNG_Grandma
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Empty Re: May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  countrynaturals 5/7/2017, 4:13 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Zukes are up!  cheers
YIKES! I can't even plant them yet this year.  Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Empty Re: May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  countrynaturals 5/7/2017, 4:19 pm

countrynaturals wrote:CHIVES!  cheers Remember Charlie Brown and the football? Every year I buy a new pack of chives seeds, plant them carefully, and wait. Every year, nothing happens. Sad Every year I go to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, & Shopko and try to buy a chives plant. Every year they have noneSad Today I had to go with son-in-law to drop off his car at the shop. RIGHT NEXT DOOR WAS MY FAVORITE NURSERY.  Shocked I had forgotten all about them, but who could pass up a sign like that?  Rolling Eyes I am now the proud owner of a $2.99 4" pot of CHIVES!  sunny I should never be chivesless again.  flower

May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Chives10
I transplanted that little pot. It survived the winter, came back with enthusiasm, already been harvested once and needs another haircut already. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/17/2017, 11:46 am

Last night was our "final 40." All night time temps in the 50s+ for the rest of the season (I hope). Today is the big day to plant out all the babies I've been taking out every day and bringing in every night. I will be planting in the BTE: pattypan squash, straight neck squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash, 2 kinds of cucumber, & honeydew melon. Tomorrow I'll hit Walmart again for anything new. I lost all of my cantaloupes to spider mites, so I replanted seeds this morning, but that means no melons until August, so I will be looking for plants. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/17/2017, 4:34 pm

Very Happy We will be 95*F in a couple days. What are you planting in the SFG?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/18/2017, 12:06 am

sanderson wrote:Very Happy  We will be 95*F in a couple days.  What are you planting in the SFG?
I planted 11 Swiss chard plants and surrounded them with rings I cut from old plant 6-pack containers to protect them. My sfg is overrun with slugs and rolly pollies. I WILL NEVER COMPOST IN PLACE AGAIN. Nothing but dried leaves will go in there as mulch from now on and I am cutting off all lower leaves that might touch the ground. My baby peas, daikons, and corn salad are all gone. Sad Mad I'm also fighting cabbage worms, but that's another story. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/18/2017, 4:02 am

Sluggo Plus?? I know I sound like a broken record but it works.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/18/2017, 12:00 pm

sanderson wrote:Sluggo Plus??  I know I sound like a broken record but it works.

If it's just slugs maybe plain Sluggo.  Sluggo plus contains spinosad.  Spinosad wipes out bee colonies really fast.  Granted with the pelleted format it may be a non issue however some studies show even spinosad residue can lead to colony collapse.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/18/2017, 4:00 pm

You have a point.  If it's just the slug family, don't need Spinosad.  In CN's case, the roly polies are probably eating the tender terminal ends, so the Plus would take care of them, also.  I use SP judiciously. I never spray Spinosad. If I use Neem oil, it's in the late warm evening so it can dry by morning.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2017, 10:07 am

sanderson wrote:Sluggo Plus??  I know I sound like a broken record but it works.
Nope! I will win this battle naturally or remove the dirt for the chickens to "cleanse" and start over. May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 671790

Putting a ring around my new chard didn't work completely . . .
May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Chard10

. . . but I'm making progress with the grapefruit peels. Here they are protecting my baby kale. Luckily I have lots of rinds so I can change them out as needed. 
May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Kale-s11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/19/2017, 11:46 am

I'm so glad you posted that photo of the rinds.  I couldn't figure out how to do it.  Have you tried all citrus rinds?  If so, are there any that don't work?  I have LOTS of oranges.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2017, 1:44 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I'm so glad you posted that photo of the rinds.  I couldn't figure out how to do it.  Have you tried all citrus rinds?  If so, are there any that don't work?  I have LOTS of oranges.
I only tried grapefruit and cantaloupe. Next week I'll try lemons. watermelon should work, too.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2017, 1:47 pm

Today I planted 25 asparagus beans in used Jiffy Pellets. They will go into the sfg, but only after I get rid of the slugs and rollies, or I create a big enough rind barrier. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/6/2020, 12:00 am

Country Naturals wrote:

Just finished my final seed-planting until fall. Some of these are too late, but failed the first time, so I'm trying again, anyway. Nothing to lose. idk

Here's what I planted:

onions
peppers
flowers
beans
peas
melons
gourds
kale
dill
cucumbers
artichokes
turnips
May: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 43549

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2