Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Toplef10January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 I22gcj10January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Toplef10January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 I22gcj10January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

+11
Yardslave
countrynaturals
Mellen
Scorpio Rising
bbroomm
AtlantaMarie
Gardening Barbie
boffer
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
PNG_Grandma
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Empty Re: January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  sanderson 1/3/2017, 2:57 am

Ah, the last month of relaxation - just doodling on the plot plan, figuring out how many seed pots to plant.  The Gardenate suggestions are posted above but I just ignore them for January.

I won't be starting any seeds until Feb, so I will grab husband and go to the coast for a few days before the seeding starts.  We cancelled our Sept-Oct vacation because of Sweetie so it will be nice to get away.  Maybe Santa Barbara?  Or, maybe Palm Springs in the desert?

Good news for CA is that we should get some nice rain this week, on into next week, plus snow in the mountains.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Empty Re: January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  countrynaturals 1/3/2017, 12:34 pm

Enjoy your vacation, Sanderson. I'm going to start seeds in the next few days. Gotta decide what and how many, first. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/3/2017, 1:15 pm

Ah...a new year, and a new batch of seeds to start! I have to rummage around the shop and find my heating mat and grow lights. They've been shuffled around to get at all the holiday decorations- so who knows where they are! Seems like an Easter egg hunt every January. I should never be surprised where they've been placed since last Spring. Also have to sterilize some planting trays and a batch of planting mix so I'll be busy inside while the weather outside is getting wetter as I write.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/3/2017, 1:16 pm

sanderson ... that will be a well deserved vacation. Enjoy!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/3/2017, 7:58 pm

Yes!  Have fun!  You deserve it, sanderson!  

Hmmm, yardslave, I am re-using my 72 cell starter box.  Should I do something special to sanitize it?  I had no problems last year.  But that was out of the box.  I use commercial starter mix for the cells.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/4/2017, 1:28 pm

I wash all last year's gunk off my starting cells with soap and water and rinse them off, then dowse them in a bucket of water with 1/4 cup of bleach and give them a few minutes soaking. Rinse them off again, and they are ready for some soil. The reason for the bleach and water is to prevent any fungus or bacteria that may have hitched a ride on last years dirt that remained from last year's seed starting- like damping off or verticillium wilt.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 1/5/2017, 8:10 pm

I'm southern cali and idling away with basically defunct beds.  Can't get anything started.  Going to have to get a heating mat and set up to start seedlings indoors and transplant.  I always have horrible results with that. 

Still we're in the rain zone so I'm happy. NorCal is supposed to be pounded this weekend.  Don't wash away.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/5/2017, 11:17 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:Still we're in the rain zone so I'm happy. NorCal is supposed to be pounded this weekend.  Don't wash away.
We're building our ark right now. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/6/2017, 2:36 am

The dams are open in this area to release water, to make room for this rain. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/7/2017, 5:26 pm

Flood warnings in my area.....
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2017, 5:48 pm

Any threat to you from the burn areas? Mud slides, run-off?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/7/2017, 6:13 pm

Highway 1 south of Carmel has had multiple rockslides blocking the roadways, but road crews are keeping up- so far. The weather predictions say Saturday and Sunday should be the toughest with more slides and uprooted trees as the ground gets saturated. The weather hasn't cleared enough to assess the impact on the burned areas, but the last time a fire ravaged the area, mud and silt filled one of two reservoirs that we use for drinking water. The two reservoirs to the South are filling slowly, so I would imagine the vegetation is holding the soil back.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/7/2017, 7:33 pm

I took a perverse pleasure in planting seeds in the house, while outside it was wet, cold, snowy, and dark.  Twisted Evil

I planted:

Zinnias - Thumbelina (for the early butterflies)
Sugar Ann Snap Peas
Dwarf Blue Curled Kale
Brussels Sprouts
*Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli

*Sanderson, did yours do any good from last fall? Mine were looking good until snowed on, but still nothing but leaves.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2017, 9:59 pm

CN, Just a hint of broccoli heads but the next two months will tell. Meanwhile, did you see the purple cauliflower I posted? I'm in love! I love you I love you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/8/2017, 10:48 am

sanderson wrote: Meanwhile,  did you see the purple cauliflower I posted?  I'm in love! I love you I love you
I'm in love, too. I already added it to my seed list.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/10/2017, 1:50 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I took a perverse pleasure in planting seeds in the house, while outside it was wet, cold, snowy, and dark.  Twisted Evil

I planted:

Zinnias - Thumbelina (for the early butterflies)
Sugar Ann Snap Peas
Dwarf Blue Curled Kale
Brussels Sprouts
*Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli

*Sanderson, did yours do any good from last fall? Mine were looking good until snowed on, but still nothing but leaves.
MIGOSH! They're all up already and it's only been 3 days. YEE-HAH! cheers (Jiffy Pellets on a heating pad in the house.)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 10:53 am

Yesterday was beautiful -- sunny and mid 60s. I transplanted the sugar snap peas from the Jiffy Pellets into the "Salad Bar." Also, Katie gave me some old seed packets from 2011. There was an unopened packet of sugar snap peas in that bunch. I dumped the whole packet in front of the other peas just to see if any of them will sprout. Time will tell.
January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Peas11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/17/2017, 12:12 pm

Your timing is too perfect... *singsong:* Peas didn't rot, Peas didn't mold, Pea seedlings in a plot, 9 days old.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 1:47 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Your timing is too perfect... *singsong:* Peas didn't rot, Peas didn't mold, Pea seedlings in a plot, 9 days old.
rofl
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2017, 2:05 pm

Razz

I finally started on my summer garden. Wink  Now have 2 SP, each cut in half. January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Sweet_11
January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas - Page 2 Sweet_12

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 2:22 pm

I planted icicle radishes in a container in the "Salad Bar." There are no freezing temps in the 10-day forecast, so fingers crossed we won't have any more of that this year. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/30/2017, 1:15 pm

Yesterday I planted ground cherry seeds in the house. Today I'm going plant lemon balm, bee balm, purple sage, and amaranth seeds inside. We're in for another week of rain, so I won't plant any more in the sfg for a couple of weeks. My icicle radishes never sprouted, so I think they rotted in all the wetness we had last week. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/30/2017, 4:11 pm

I'm still holding off starting seedlings until Valentine's Day. I did however print a new plot plan to start penciling proposed plants. And, the sweet potatoes slips are about 1" high. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/30/2017, 4:58 pm

countrynaturals wrote: My icicle radishes never sprouted, so I think they rotted in all the wetness we had last week. Sad
The planting charts in my ANSFG book (mine is edition 1) say that radishes take 29 days to germinate at 41*F and 11 days at 50*F. If more of the hours of the day during the last week and a half have been below 50*F than above, they made need some more time.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/30/2017, 5:13 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
countrynaturals wrote: My icicle radishes never sprouted, so I think they rotted in all the wetness we had last week. Sad
The planting charts in my ANSFG book (mine is edition 1) say that radishes take 29 days to germinate at 41*F and 11 days at 50*F. If more of the hours of the day during the last week and a half have been below 50*F than above, they made need some more time.
Thanks, Beetles. Our days have definitely been in the high 40s to low 50s, so I will leave them alone for another couple of weeks. We're in for some more serious rain, so I won't be out there much anyway.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next