Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
pressure treated wood Toplef10pressure treated wood 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

pressure treated wood I22gcj10pressure treated wood 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
pressure treated wood Toplef10pressure treated wood 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

pressure treated wood I22gcj10pressure treated wood 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

pressure treated wood

+5
sanderson
boffer
yolos
Pepper
Frenchbean
9 posters

Go down

pressure treated wood Empty pressure treated wood

Post  Frenchbean 5/19/2013, 6:13 am

I have bought a 4ft x 4ft raised bed on legs (I have back problems). The wood has been pressure treated. What does this mean? and do I need to paint it with anything. I think not. Im sorry if this sounds a stupid question, but I am a single parent and feel Im among friends to guide me Embarassed
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

pressure treated wood Empty Re: pressure treated wood

Post  Pepper 5/19/2013, 7:39 am

The SFG method does everything possible to maintain an "ORGANIC" rating; because it is best for the environment and the pollinators of the world. That being said I have pressure treated wood for my bed frames sacrificing my "organic" rating. The old treating methods used arsenic to ward off the critters; that poison would leach into the soil and harm you to. The copper biased material they use today some say will still harm you; the manufacturer says it won't.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/19/2013, 10:50 am

Since Frenchbean is in England, the rules about pressure treating may be different "over the pond". You really need plantoid to help with this question.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2013, 11:08 am

Good point, yolos. I can't even say for certain that they call it 'pressure treated'. Sometimes plantoid's posts become interesting vocabulary lessons!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/20/2013, 7:03 am

Thanks for the correction. I guess I showed my American centric ideology. Never thought of the improvements in 'pressure treated' not being a global change.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2013, 2:06 pm

The great thing about SFG is you can protect your MM and veggies from contamination of the existing environment.

If you have ANY concerns about the wood, line the inside of the frame with food grade plastic. Cut open Mylar bags or "zip lock" baggies, probably even the "cling" wrap that comes on a roll would work. Of course, some of us are "cling" wrap challenged!

Any concern about the existing ground? Build the frame a little higher, place a little clean fill, then line with weed screen, and fill the rest with 6" of MM.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 5/20/2013, 2:20 pm

sanderson wrote:The great thing about SFG is you can protect your MM and veggies from contamination of the existing environment.

If you have ANY concerns about the wood, line the inside of the frame with food grade plastic. Cut open Mylar bags or "zip lock" baggies, probably even the "cling" wrap that comes on a roll would work. Of course, some of us are "cling" wrap challenged!

Any concern about the existing ground? Build the frame a little higher, place a little clean fill, then line with weed screen, and fill the rest with 6" of MM.

In my experience, the clear plastic deteriorates rather quickly when exposed to the elements. I have had best luck w/ 6mil black plastic...though I have not researched the potential contaminants of the plastic I have used. Embarassed
Also, the type of wood can make a big difference...most say untreated cedar wood will last a good 5+yrs. After almost 3yrs, my untreated pine is looking like it will need to be replaced soon.

I know it goes against SFG best practices, but I do like the look of the treated/painted gardens better and hubby has mentioned that my boxes are starting to become an eye sore because they have begun to show signs of deterioration in color. I'm considering painting the outside with a low toxicity paint and hoping the plastic lining will prevent it from leaching into my MM.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  B00kemdano 5/20/2013, 2:38 pm

I have tabletop (TT) beds. I used treated for the legs only. The box itself is untreated pine. It might not last as long as some other wood, but it was readily available when I built my tables.

You may notice in my pic that I have two smaller boxes that are resting on stacks of brick. You could use bricks or blocks for legs, too. Whatever is handy!

I built mine on TT because I thought that, being on a concrete patio, things might get too hot in the summertime. Also, it's at the perfect height for my two little kids to see what's going on in the garden.

pressure treated wood 20may210
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

pressure treated wood Empty treated wood

Post  Frenchbean 5/20/2013, 3:00 pm

BOOKemdano: Thank you for your picture of your lovely garden. I rather like the box covering your cabbages. Please could you tell me how you made it. good idea
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2013, 3:07 pm

I thought I posted another reply but it looks like it didn't work. So here goes.

As a retired health inspector and lead-based paint in construction inspector, I plan to paint my new boxes with exterior water-based latex paint for homes. The larger boxes are made of 2" x 4" pine and the skinny boxes (one foot deep) are made of 1" x 8" cedar fencing. So happens that my paint is exterior water-based Behr from Home Depot. Of course, I will have to do it in between watering so the wood is dry. Medium blue-green. I'm painting the ancient redwood tables and benches, even the cat's outdoor condo! [sitting on lavendar benches]

pressure treated wood 100_6011

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

pressure treated wood Empty Treated wood

Post  Frenchbean 5/20/2013, 3:13 pm

Sanderson loving the lilac and the pale blue. I wish here in England, we had a home depot. I think I would be in there all the time Very Happy cheers
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/20/2013, 3:42 pm

FB
Our pressure treated means ...The wood being put in a sealed chamber and the air pressure reduced ,this boils out the water under vacuum ,after a few hours of being in this state the tank is flooded using the vacuum to draw in the wood preservative which the vacuum in the wood cells also drawns in quite deep to a depth of an inch or so (25 mm ) on all surfaces . It is then pumped out till a slight vacuum occcurs again leaving the least amount of treatment in the wood then the tank is vented to atmospheric pressure leaving the wood almost dry .

A good way of finding if it has been pressure treated like this , is that the cell texture of the wood is much lighter than an untreated plank of the same size , it is usually also weighs a lot less than an untreated plank of the same dimensions .

It passes our exacting health and safety requirements for footways and for flower boxes.
It may well also be classed as OK for holding soil for veg but I've not tried to find out more as I don't use it.

Re the paints ..
Look in " Homebase , B &Q , Wickes , Keyline or any big DIY stores or locate a trade only outlet paint shop out the yellow pages etc
You'll be able to get colours mixed in exterior paint or actually buy off the shelf colours .... ( If you can afford them Laughing ) I've not yet found a trade outlet who won't take my money , though some won't let you have a decent discount ( give then your flashing smile )

You might also locate some zany internal acrylic paint colour on " freecycle .co.uk " or " gumtree " etc .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

pressure treated wood Empty Cabbage Cage

Post  B00kemdano 5/20/2013, 7:47 pm

Frenchbean wrote:BOOKemdano: Thank you for your picture of your lovely garden. I rather like the box covering your cabbages. Please could you tell me how you made it. good idea

Thanks! My cabbage and broccolli cage is made from pieces of old baby cribs. Our church's child care center had to buy all new ones because of some silly new standard, and, being a woodworker, I brought them all home. (There's quite a stack out in my shoppe!) Lucky for me, they're all maple!

Anyway, I just crudely screwed some pieces together to form a cube, then stapled some vinyl screen on the inside. The only tricky part was to leave a couple of inches at the bottom. That way, when my MM settles and shrinks a bit throughout the season, I'll still have a barrier between the box and the MM.

pressure treated wood Img_1514

(A month ago)
pressure treated wood Cover10

(today!)
pressure treated wood Img_1515
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 5/23/2013, 11:26 am

I contacted the seller and he says my raised bed on legs :-
The timber we use is pressure treated tanalised timber.
Robust Wooden Raised Bed on legs

for growing vegetables or flowers

ideal for the elderly and those less able to bend to tend to plants

4ft(l) x 4ft(w) x 30inch(h) approx

Timbers are pressure treated for long life and are of smooth finish

post timbers are 95mm in diameter

side timbers are 38mm x 90mm each

bed base consists of pressure treated gravel boards

Im still not sure if its safe for growing vegetables. Now Im scared to use it Rolling Eyes

internal depth of bed is 20cm

Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 5/23/2013, 11:31 am

Bookemdano
"My cabbage and broccolli cage is made from pieces of old baby cribs." Guess what I found on my way home from work........... :scratch: part of a cot cheers So I guess if I don't make a trellis out of it I can make a cage for my cabbages.

How do I copy quotes to my post, study
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/23/2013, 4:53 pm

Frenchbean wrote:...How do I copy quotes to my post, study

If you click the green 'quote' button of the post that you want to quote, it will open a reply text box with the quote in it. If you're quoting a very long post, and will be responding to only a small part of it, you can delete the extraneous content.

I usually use an ellipsis to denote that I deleted content.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/23/2013, 5:30 pm

Frenchbean wrote:Bookemdano
"My cabbage and broccolli cage is made from pieces of old baby cribs." Guess what I found on my way home from work........... :scratch: part of a cot cheers So I guess if I don't make a trellis out of it I can make a cage for my cabbages.

How do I copy quotes to my post, study

FB,
I found this company website giving the following info by putting " is tanalized wood OK for veg beds into google .

Is TANALISED E pressure treated timber safe to use for compost bins and earth retaining structures for organic vegetable beds?

TANALISED E pressure treated timber is suitable for the construction of compost bins and for use as earth retaining structures for organic vegetable beds.
The Soil Association (www.soilassociation.org) states that if the timber used for organic vegetable beds is preservative pre-treated then there are no issues in terms of organic status.
If, however, the wood is treated once the raised bed has been built (brush applied preservative) then this would affect the status of the land.
Please see our Code of Practice and Consumer Information Sheet for more information on the use of TANALISED E pressure treated timber.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

pressure treated wood Empty treated wood

Post  Frenchbean 5/26/2013, 4:27 am

Planetoid thank you, thank you, thank you bounce so its safe Very Happy thank god for that.
I will plant up my first ever SQ Ft garden and post a picky. Please tell me how I get pictures on here Embarassed
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/26/2013, 8:06 am

You will find instructions on posting photos and other helpful forum info here.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f33-forum

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

pressure treated wood WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

pressure treated wood Empty Treated wood

Post  Frenchbean 5/26/2013, 2:49 pm

Camprn thank you Very Happy
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down