Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Toplef10 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas I22gcj10 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Toplef10 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas I22gcj10 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

5 posters

Go down

June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  PNG_Grandma 6/2/2013, 2:05 pm

Hi, and sorry for no posts since March. Both my parents were in and out of hospitals for the past few months. We said goodbye to Dad a few weeks ago. I'm back and hopefully will keep posting each month.
Here is what you might plant in June...

Luffa (also Loofah, plant sponge) Plant in garden.
Harvest from October

Marrow Plant in garden.
Harvest from October

Okra (also Ladyfinger, gumbo) Plant in garden.
Harvest from November.

Peas Plant in garden.
Harvest from October.

Sweet corn (also maize) Plant in garden.
Harvest from October

Sweet Potato/Kumara Plant in garden.
Harvest from November.

Let's get growing!!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty Re: June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  sanderson 6/2/2013, 2:21 pm

PNG Grandma, I'm in Fresno

Not too late for sweet potatoes? I love them. Are they grown the same way as potatoes? That is: Cut eye sections, dry for a day, plant on top of 2" MM, then cover with 2" MM. Add MM as they grow every few inches. Use a food grade white 5-gallon bucket with bottom holes?

I'm excited and hopeful. Please let me know. Thanks, Sanderson
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty Re: June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  PNG_Grandma 6/2/2013, 2:42 pm

sanderson wrote:I'm in Fresno
Not too late for sweet potatoes? Are they grown the same way as potatoes? Thanks, Sanderson
Hi Sanderson,
I just checked on the USDA maps and they show Fresno in zone 9b, the same as for our Modesto area. However, the PlantMaps for Professional Landscapers says we're both in 9a!

I use a combination of zones 8a and 9b to cover the "Northern CA and Central Valley" areas ... both zones have similar if not exactly the same planting schedules. I would think you could plant the same things, just be sure to watch your watering and shading... if the plants seem to be struggling then a bit of shade in the hottest part of the day might help, and a bit more water may keep them going.

Here in our Modesto area we have those lovely Delta breezes almost every evening bringing the moisture from the Stockton area so we can grow just about anything... with some special attention to a few plants by keeping them in more of a micro-climate.

As for planting sweet potatoes... this is from Gardenate:

"Plant shoots or cuttings (Slips). Best planted at soil temperatures between 63°F and 95°F. Best in Separate bed.
Frost tender Sweet Potatoes require a long warm growing season. Plant in free draining loose soil . Fertilize before planting but no more when the plants are growing as it will encourage vine growth. They will go for miles and you will get no tubers. If they do start spreading, lift the vines off the ground to prevent them rooting.
Mound up the soil about 20cm (8 in) before planting Let the plants die down, (leaves die or turn yellow) before harvesting the tubers. Dry them in the sun for a few days, then store in a cool dry place for up to five months."

Hope this helps!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/2/2013, 3:01 pm

Grandma, Thanks for the sweet potato info. Sanderson
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 6/2/2013, 3:07 pm

Good luck with your sweet potatoes!
One of our Apollo Gardeners harvested a huge amount of sweet potatoes last year in her 4 x 8 garden box. We were all amazed at the size, and the taste... she shared with many of us!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/2/2013, 4:30 pm

My sweet potato just broke the surface, so thanks for the info. Last year I started them in a 5 x 10 bed and they started taking it over so I ended up pulling them up to plant other things. This year I created a bed out of our back hillside just for potatoes. We'll see :-)

Sorry to hear about your dad and mom. Life takes priority at times like these - we all understand.
audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/1/2014, 10:03 pm

Bump. June sort of sneaked up on me.

PNG_Grandma wrote:
Luffa (also Loofah, plant sponge) Plant in garden.
Harvest from October

Marrow Plant in garden.
Harvest from October

Okra (also Ladyfinger, gumbo) Plant in garden.
Harvest from November.

Peas Plant in garden.
Harvest from October.

Sweet corn (also maize) Plant in garden.
Harvest from October

Sweet Potato/Kumara Plant in garden.
Harvest from November.

Let's get growing!!
happy hi
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/31/2015, 3:36 am

Weather temps are already hot. Fresno - high 90's, Yuba City - 80s & 90's, Elk Groove - 80s, Palm Desert - 104*F today What a Face and San Mateo around 70s. Water, mulch and shade cover are the key works.

Luffa (Loofah, plant sponge) Plant in garden. Harvest from October

Marrow Plant in garden. Harvest from October

Okra. Plant in garden. Harvest from November.

Peas. Plant in garden. Harvest from October.

Sweet corn. Plant in garden. Harvest from October

Sweet Potato. Plant in garden. Harvest from November.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/31/2015, 8:53 am

sanderson wrote:Weather temps are already hot.  Fresno - high 90's, Yuba City - 80s & 90's, Elk Groove - 80s, Palm Desert - 104*F today What a Face and San Mateo around 70s.  Water, mulch and shade cover are the key works.

Peas.  Plant in garden.  Harvest from October.
Peas in these temps.  What kind of peas.  The only peas we can plant now in my climate are southern peas.  I am planting Top Pick Pinkeye Purple Hull Peas today.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/31/2015, 11:34 am

Beats me. Embarassed This is from Gardenate. The only peas I plant are snow peas for winter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/1/2017, 1:58 pm

June and July are not great planting months for Zone 9A in the lower latitudes as temps can get into the 100s.  Keep watering, provide shade and mulch heavily.  Watch for leaf-footed bugs, spider mites, tomato worms, and as the fruits ripen, 4-legged munchers.  Before we know, it will be August and September when we can start working on starting winter plant seedlings.  If you plan on canning this summer, this is also a good time to start searching for a pressure canner.  For the timid, check out Seal-a-Meal type bargains for freezing summer produce for winter.

Planting now in June for the USA - Zone 9a zone
Cowpeas / Black eye peas / Southern peas Plant in garden. Harvest from October.
Okra   Plant in garden. Harvest from October.
Sweet Potato   Plant in garden. Harvest from October.

Planting in July
Collards Start undercover in seed trays and plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from September.
Cowpeas / Black eye peas /  Southern peas   Plant in garden. Harvest from October.

Last edited by sanderson on 6/2/2017, 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Leaf-footed instead of squash bugs.)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2017, 9:19 pm

Ha!  Peas....no, not now for y'all!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/2/2017, 1:06 am

The cow pea / black-eyed pea should be tolerable, but not green peas. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/2/2017, 8:33 am

sanderson wrote:The cow pea / black-eyed pea should be tolerable, but not green peas.  ??
Correct.  Cow Peas like it hot.  Green peas like it cool.  But don't do Black eye peas.  They are probably the worst tasting cow pea.  I just planted my Lady cowpeas, waiting on the onions to all mature and then will plant White Acre cowpeas.  Waiting on the potatoes to mature and then will plant Pinkeye Purple Hull cowpeas.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/2/2017, 10:09 am

Thanks, Yolos.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/2/2018, 2:11 am

We didn't get much of a spring, but summer is now here.  Hopefully, everything is planted with the exception of cow peas, okra, maybe some fast maturing corn, and sweet potato slips in micro-climates with late frost.

I'm bumping this from June 1. 2017.

sanderson wrote:June and July are not great planting months for Zone 9A in the lower latitudes as temps can get into the 100s.  Keep watering, provide shade and mulch heavily.  Watch for leaf-footed bugs, spider mites, tomato worms, and as the fruits ripen, 4-legged munchers.  Before we know, it will be August and September when we can start working on starting winter plant seedlings.  If you plan on canning this summer, this is also a good time to start searching for a pressure canner.  For the timid, check out Seal-a-Meal type bargains for freezing summer produce for winter.

Planting now in June for the USA - Zone 9a zone
Cowpeas / Black eye peas / Southern peas Plant in garden. Harvest from October.
Okra   Plant in garden. Harvest from October.
Sweet Potato   Plant in garden. Harvest from October.

Planting in July
Collards Start undercover in seed trays and plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from September.
Cowpeas / Black eye peas /  Southern peas   Plant in garden. Harvest from October.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/3/2018, 8:40 pm

The soy beans haven't come up. In fact, I can't find any of the seeds. I'm going to plant 8 cotton plants in this bed for fun.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/5/2019, 2:42 am

The only things to plant now are okra and cow peas. For the next 90-100 days, many areas of CA will be HOT, like in the 90s and 100s. Water, shade cloth, water, mulch and water are in order.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/29/2023, 1:30 pm

Well, summer is officially here.  We've had a nice, unusually cool growing season so far, but now the temps are getting into the really hot stage.  Great for water-themed parks, boating on lakes that are blessed with rain and now snow melt from the wet winter, and some of the agriculture crops that thrive in our climate such as canning tomatoes and melons.

June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Drough12

But according to the chart for the Master Gardeners Vegetable Planting Chart for the San Joaquin Valley, we can direct sow beans, corn, cucumbers, melons, okra and pumpkins. https://ucanr.edu/sites/UC_Master_Gardeners/files/84716.pdf

For the Sacramento Valley, it is very similar:
https://ucanr.edu/sites/sacmg/files/117117.pdf#:~:text=SACRAMENTO%20VEGETABLE%20PLANTING%20SCHEDULE%20JAN%20FEB%20MAR%20APR,the%20garden%20Set%20out%20plants%20or%20transplants%20P

For the Bay Area, there are 3 microclimates from foggy to sunny. https://sfbaygardening.com/resources/bay-area-planting-calendar/

Placer County:
https://ucanr.edu/sites/ucmgplacer/files/197684.pdf

We got the shade cloth up yesterday.  Everything is mulched with E-Z Straw with Tack. View from my chair on the covered patio.   June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Shade_36

East looking west.
 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Shade_37

West looking east.
 June: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Shade_38

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down