Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BOOKs on growing herbs. Toplef10BOOKs on growing herbs. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BOOKs on growing herbs. I22gcj10BOOKs on growing herbs. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BOOKs on growing herbs. Toplef10BOOKs on growing herbs. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BOOKs on growing herbs. I22gcj10BOOKs on growing herbs. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

BOOKs on growing herbs.

+4
camprn
herblover
sanderson
jimmy cee
8 posters

Go down

BOOKs on growing herbs. Empty BOOKs on growing herbs.

Post  jimmy cee 12/28/2013, 11:53 am

I'm looking for some good books on growing herbs, I've read a few, however there is always a little more info in another book.
I picked 1 up recently at a Barnes & Noble.  Did not even look at the pages till I got home, then found the type was so small I couldn't read it...( bad me ).
I am dedicating a 5 X 5 bed this year to nothing but herbs so I really would like to study about them before starting some seeds.
I am going to see what Amazon's got to offer, just thought maybe some one here has some info on a good technical read.
I just love going to bed with a gardening book of some kind...
[b]OOOhhh my how the years have changed me.....

I picked up this book yesterday, need some more
BOOKs on growing herbs. Herb_b11

Last edited by jimmy cee on 12/28/2013, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change)
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

BOOKs on growing herbs. Empty Re: BOOKs on growing herbs.

Post  sanderson 12/28/2013, 12:20 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
I am dedicating a 5 X 5 bed this year to nothing but herbs so I really would like to study about them before starting some seeds.

5' x 5' ???  Totally jealous!!!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 12/28/2013, 2:26 pm

I don't have any specific book suggestions but am a veteran herb grower.  Have you grown herbs before?  I will toss out some suggestions for you.  Anything in the mint family (mints, lemon balm), oregano and dill spread widely and freely to the point of being almost impossible to contain.  I would put them in dedicated planters or beds with deep dividers.  Chives, garlic chives, savories, basils, and thyme are pretty compact; basils will get tall and thymes will spread but are easy to contain.  Sage should be put in the ground; in a happy place it will grow into a substantial bush.  Rosemary can be a perennial or annual depending on where you live.  In my zone 5a I treat it as an annual.  Parsley is another that will not spread. 
Basils and parsley are definitely annuals unless you live in a place where it does not get near freezing; the others are all perennials.  Hope this helps you get started.  Growing herbs is addictive and fun.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/28/2013, 2:52 pm

Jimmy, you may find something useful in this thread.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

BOOKs on growing herbs. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/14/2019, 7:22 am

I am reading a book right now by Sal Gilbertie and Larry Sheehan, Herb Gardening at its Best. The book was written in 1978 and got mine from Thrift Books which can be an inexpensive way to pick up gardening books but I think he may have written another on herbs more recently but this is the best book on herbs I have read and Sal Gilbertie walks you through growing 15 different basic herbs, 5 groups of similar growing habits so as to be able to grow most others as the book covers many more. 

I didn't know it at the time but I got to sit in on a presentation given by Sal Gilbertie at last year's Ct. Small Fruit and vegetable Growers Conference and now feel very lucky that I did, what a wealth of hands on, I am doing it knowledge, experience and know how this gentleman possesses. I highly recommend this book and Herb Gardening from the Ground Up which is the 2012 revised edition for anyone that wants a better understanding of growing herbs. He does have a mix very similar to Mel's for outdoor beds which I thought was interesting and also explains why he prefers perlite over vermiculite which I also thought worth making note of. I have been very lucky as to whom I have learned from and those that I got to meet, a very lucky gardener am I indeed.

I am so enthused as I read Herb Gardening at its Best that I will be beginning gardening with herbs in February and am also looking forward to starting a couple of 4'x4' herb gardening beds this year. This book was written for USDA Zone 6 and from experience of growing herbs in my state that I don't have to do a conversion of a couple of weeks either way from the calendar in the book. I don't know if other here know how rare that is but it is my first time, a very lucky gardener am I indeed.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2019, 6:43 pm

"Herb Gardening at Its Best" and "Herb Gardening from the Ground Up."

Thank you for the titles. As you stated, the first one is for your zone. But, folks could adjust from their Zones.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/29/2019, 9:58 am

Urban Farmer has a handy online Herb Growing Guide - Herb Growing Guide

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4551

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/30/2019, 10:10 am

Ohio Gardener, Thanks for the link. I don't mean to put you on the spot and so am asking everyone the difference between rich and fertile soil as the chart at the Urban Farmer uses both terms in describing the soil needed. I wonder now if there is a definitive gardener's dictionary and if there is, it better not be in Latin.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/30/2019, 10:34 am

In my 60+ years farming/gardening, I haven't seen such a dictionary. And, to complicate it, terms/definitions differ from one part of the country to another. Having done organic farming/gardening in Alaska, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, Illinois, and Ohio, I can attest to the differences in terms to refer to the same function or activity.

That said, I think the best description of rich vs fertile was something I heard in a presentation one time. Don't remember the presenter, but it may have been Jeff Lowenfels while discussing microbes. The statement describing the relationship of rich and fertile was this: "Soils that are rich in important plant nutrients will be fertile, as long as those nutrients are soluble or can become soluble."

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/30/2019, 11:24 am

OhioGardener wrote:Having done organic farming/gardening in Alaska, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, Illinois, and Ohio,
YIKES! Did you have to start from scratch every time? affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/30/2019, 11:56 am

countrynaturals wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Having done organic farming/gardening in Alaska, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, Illinois, and Ohio,

Yep, I did.  The worst ground I ever dealt with was in central Georgia - hard red clay that was gummy when it was wet, and stuck to everything, and hard as a brick when it was dry. I dumped tons of organic material in the new garden space before I could even begin working the dirt into soil. By the third year, our garden was the envy of the neighborhood - neighbors couldn't believe that soil could actually produce great vegetables, and loved the sweet tasting free vegetables they got from us.

The best soil I ever dealt with was our small farm in southern Illinois.  In a previous life it had been a hog farm, and the soil was full of years worth of decomposed hog manure. I could plant a dead stick in that soil and it would grow! LOL  The beef cattle I raised loved the lush pasture, too!

Fairbanks, Alaska, was the most fun. Grew cabbage that was a foot in diameter. Root crops, though, were all tops with no root. Only spent 3 gardening seasons there, though, so didn't get to do too much.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/30/2019, 1:05 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:

Yep, I did.  The worst ground I ever dealt with was in central Georgia - hard red clay that was gummy when it was wet, and stuck to everything, and hard as a brick when it was dry. I dumped tons of organic material in the new garden space before I could even begin working the dirt into soil. By the third year, our garden was the envy of the neighborhood - neighbors couldn't believe that soil could actually produce great vegetables, and loved the sweet tasting free vegetables they got from us.

The best soil I ever dealt with was our small farm in southern Illinois.  In a previous life it had been a hog farm, and the soil was full of years worth of decomposed hog manure. I could plant a dead stick in that soil and it would grow! LOL  The beef cattle I raised loved the lush pasture, too!

Fairbanks, Alaska, was the most fun. Grew cabbage that was a foot in diameter. Root crops, though, were all tops with no root. Only spent 3 gardening seasons there, though, so didn't get to do too much.
All I can say is . . . golly gee whiz No wonder you know so much about so much. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/30/2019, 1:28 pm

countrynaturals wrote:No wonder you know so much about so much. I love you

Comes from living so long....but, knowing it and remembering it are two different things! Mad

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/30/2019, 4:51 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:

Yep, here in Georgia it is terrible.  At my old home I eventually had half decent soil.  When I moved to our new house, I did old style row gardening.  The red clay was so bad my son in law (big strong tuff guy) gave up on my garden after about a month.  I said forget it and started using raised beds.  That is the only thing that kept me gardening.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down