Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Toplef10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots I22gcj10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Toplef10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots I22gcj10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots

+19
Judy McConnell
trolleydriver
OhioGardener
plantoid
yolos
MrBooker
BeetlesPerSqFt
GWN
AtlantaMarie
kauairosina
rabbithutch
audrey.jeanne.roberts
mollyhespra
Goosegirl
llama momma
sceleste54
donnainzone5
southern gardener
sanderson
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Empty Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots

Post  sanderson 1/23/2014, 2:28 pm

Well, I'm holed up inside of the house today.  Just wanted to caution folks to use sun screen and even 50 SPF clothing.  First thing in the morning, I love to run outside with my coffee to look at the SFG.

I've had a couple pre-cancerous spots burned off this past year, one on my hand and one above my upper lip.  Yesterday I had a whole-face preemptive treatment.  Being of sturdy stock, I declined the pain meds at the beginning of the treatment.  As we left, I told DH that they should offer the pill at the end of the treatment.

This morning I went out the shady side of the house but the neighbor's window reflected the sun and, zoowie!  Ouch!   Shocked   I searched on-line for face masks (HSA may be watching me now) and I found good items under Bass fishing!  50 SPF Arm sleeves, neck and face "tubes", gloves, etc.  It makes sense because in bass fishing you are also exposed to sun reflected off the water.

I write this wistfully looking out the shaded window.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Empty Re: Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots

Post  southern gardener 1/23/2014, 2:32 pm

My dermo told me to use sunscreen with Zinc in it. He told me to go home and throw out all my sunscreen even it was 50 spf if it doesn't contain Zinc, that it does no good against the rays that cause melanoma. It was hard to throw all that out, but I've learned first hand Sad My kids bought me a bunch of the clothes and hats too that block rays. It's no fun, but nothing to mess with either........
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Empty Re: Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots

Post  donnainzone5 1/23/2014, 4:11 pm

Also be sure that your sunscreen protects against both UV A and UV B rays.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/23/2014, 4:49 pm

I see the dermo tomorrow and will ask for approved list.  I've ben using Neutragena products so I hope they are on the list.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/23/2014, 5:18 pm

good idea. They actually gave me the Neutrogena products the last time I was in. BUT, then I got the yucky news, and he said to be SURE whatever I use has the Zinc in it, so that's what I'm doing. So irritating to have to cover up and sunscreen etc when I LOVE being outside!, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2014, 8:01 pm

Only a SFG-er would . . .
Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Me_1-210
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 1/25/2014, 8:45 pm

Hhahahahahahah !!  Love it Sanderson !!  Thats what I need... I had a melanoma taken off last month, top of the shoulder where I've had many many sunburns..
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/25/2014, 9:07 pm

Sanderson I bust out laughing at the picture. Be nice if somebody could figure out a large and cheap shade contraption for our protection while we're in the garden!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/25/2014, 9:24 pm

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Z ?

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/25/2014, 9:33 pm

My cousin said I look like "The Invisible Man" when he wanted to be seen. I had to go out in public Thursday and wore a hat and bandana during the drive. Inside the restaurant, I took them off and no one would look me in the eye. I got an idea of what it must be like to be "different."

I was thinking a Burka! Except I've read that they are hard to see out. A burn mask with bee hood? Saudi head and face cover with a little string between the eyes?

Seriously, I've been looking on line for special clothing. Problem is that it is so hot here in the summer that I wear a little sun dress or summer pjs and go barefoot in the back yard.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/25/2014, 9:38 pm

that picture-umm, I'd rather wear a paste of thick zinc  Laughing
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 1/27/2014, 10:18 pm

How about this one?

SPF 50 but they don't mention breathe-a-bility.  It might get pretty hot under there...
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/27/2014, 11:41 pm

I lost my first husband to Melanoma skin cancer when he was only 44 years old. Having been on the cancer ward floor and seeing young children, teens and young adults fighting for their lives - I say a hearty "AMEN" to this post.

Now... getting myself to do something to protect myself - that's a lot tougher. I just don't think about it and I should!!! I want to find a wide brimmed, very light weight hat for next summer. I will look for sun protection with zinc. Thanks for that information.

Also, watch closely any moles. They are very vulnerable to the sun and to melanoma. Here's what you watch for:

A = Asymetrical, most moles are round, oval or equal on both sides, asymetrical shapes and especially ones larger than the size of a pencil eraser are more susceptible to damage and cancer.

B = Border. Your moles should have a clean, crisp border. If they look like they're leaking color out of the edge of the mole or have a jagged or red inflamed looking border they could be trouble.

C = Color. Any color change, lighter or darker, not just darker. Moles with more than one color are more vulnerable as well.

D = Diameter, as I mentioned above, larger moles are more dangerous. The size of a pencil eraser or less is more normal. My husband had "Dysplastic Nevus Syndrom" fancy words for large, irregular and lots of moles. We used to call him the "polka dot man" when I played basketball with him at the local recreation center when I was in high school :-)

Remember the acrostic and it will be easier to look at your moles and look for problems.

Cell phones are great for taking pictures of your moles for recording any changes. Have a spouse or friend take pictures where you can't reach and keep them on your phone so that if you see a dermatologist about a change you have reference photos to show them.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/28/2014, 1:37 am

mollyhespra wrote:How about this one?

SPF 50 but they don't mention breathe-a-bility.  It might get pretty hot under there...

I've been looking at Coolibar and other products. Kind of expensive and I was wondering how hot I would get in it. Not to mention breathing. But it would be great for short stints and even that first cup of coffee while making the rounds. Just lift a flap. I tried my field worker's hat with a medical face mask this morning. I cut out the lip area. Worked but got coffee on the mask.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/28/2014, 1:45 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I lost my first husband to Melanoma skin cancer when he was only 44 years old.  Having been on the cancer ward floor and seeing young children, teens and young adults fighting for their lives - I say a hearty "AMEN" to this post.

That's just awful Audrey, I'm so sorry.........It's a VERY scary word to hear you "have it". Please do take care!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/28/2014, 2:48 am

Dear Audrey, I'm so sorry about your first husband. I did a little search on the syndrome and I can see how hard it would be to catch an early melanoma. My step-daddy and his brother both had large areas removed for melanoma.

I have had 2 pre-cancerous spots, one on my hang-out-the-window hand and one above my upper lip. The hand one I first noticed sitting at the dermatologists! Just a little area of skin that didn't move like the rest of the skin. The one on my upper lip was just a rough spot. Neither had color. DH also. So, we both take our visits to the Derm very seriously. And, check each other's backs. At our age, we're getting "age spots" and other fancy decorations! I think of all those early years being a California blond, working on my tan!

I'm happy for you having your DH after losing your first hubby.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 1/29/2014, 10:15 pm

sanderson wrote:
(snip)

... I tried my field worker's hat with a medical face mask this morning.  I cut out the lip area.  Worked but got coffee on the mask.

You could try just making a small slit and using a straw... Wink 

(sorry, couldn't resist)
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/30/2014, 12:42 am

Actually, I did use a straw when it cooled down enough.   Embarassed   Somehow, drinking warm coffee through a straw lacks satisfaction!

I Binged "how to make a niqab and I've rigged up one. I can lift it up and drink my coffee.

Last edited by sanderson on 1/30/2014, 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/13/2014, 2:42 am

Bump.
A reminder to protect yourself.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 6/13/2014, 12:20 pm

+1 for the reminder.

I lost an older brother to melanoma who was only 38 years old and a combat veteran of WWII when he was only 38 years old.  This was in the mid '60s and there were no 5 year survivors of the disease at that time.  Treatment has improved but it can still be deadly.

I see a dermatologist every 6 months and have since my brother died.  I've had suspicious moles removed but they never turned out to be dangerous.  I cannot count the number of pre-cancer skin tags I've had removed over the years.  I'm certain to have a date with the liquid nitrogen bottle when I have my appointment next week.

I'm afraid I'm a shirker when it comes to sunscreen.  It's not that I dislike it so much as I don't remember to put it on.  One would think I should know better.

In addition to the other tips, remember to reapply sunscreen every few hours.  Your skill will absorb some of it and sweat will destroy some of it so you need to reapply.

Great and VERY IMPORTANT thread.  Thank you!
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/13/2014, 2:06 pm

RH,  I'm sorry you lost your brother.  I have to say that medical advances have saved many lives, but it is still a serious cancer

Your reminder is important:

"In addition to the other tips, remember to reapply sunscreen every few hours.  Your skill will absorb some of it and sweat will destroy some of it so you need to reapply."
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/13/2014, 6:17 pm

I use a lot of Melaleuca products and they have a very nice sunscreen with zinc and another  product for after being in the sun, a hydrogel that's very cooling and soothes dryness with botanicals.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots Empty I usually only garden first thing in the

Post  kauairosina 6/13/2014, 7:44 pm

morning and last thing in the afternoon.  Our sun can get pretty intense, as you might imagine.  Good for the plants, not good for me.  However - we do want to expose ourselves enough to get some vitamin D.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/14/2014, 7:28 am

Thanks for this important reminder, Sanderson. 

My neighbor just got back from FL where she was helping her mom thru melanoma surgery.  Lost the tip & a good chunk of her nose.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/14/2014, 8:55 am

Hi Sanderson, I am curious what the pre-emptive treatment was?
I have done the effudex thing on the many many actinic keratosis (pre cancers) on my face. 
But that takes at least 2 weeks to do, curious as to newer options?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next