Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
High heat tolerant tomatoes Toplef10High heat tolerant tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

High heat tolerant tomatoes I22gcj10High heat tolerant tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
High heat tolerant tomatoes Toplef10High heat tolerant tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

High heat tolerant tomatoes I22gcj10High heat tolerant tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

High heat tolerant tomatoes

+11
Scorpio Rising
at2wooden
johnsonjlj
Rahab222
walshevak
tagyourit
Marc Iverson
FamilyGardening
sanderson
Goosegirl
Yardslave
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

High heat tolerant tomatoes Empty High heat tolerant tomatoes

Post  Yardslave 1/30/2014, 4:28 pm

Hi all,

Well, it's about time to start some tomato seedlings, but I don't want to repeat last Summer's tomato roast in my garden. I'm in Zone 14 & Temperatures went well above 100 degrees in late July and early August. Before that, as the temperature passed 90 degrees the plants stopped flowering. All the fruit that set began to show light sun-scorch markings on them and didn't even ripen. The only plants that seemed to be OK were the Sweet 100's. Early Girl produced well until the temp passed 90 then it stopped producing. All the plants had sun-scalded portions on their vines. It didn't seem to be a watering issue, as I kept the ground moist. Does anyone have any suggestions for more heat-tolerant Tomatoes? I'd really like to have some slicers and paste tomatoes started and in by April.
-----
Dave

Last edited by Yardslave on 1/30/2014, 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

High heat tolerant tomatoes Empty Re: High heat tolerant tomatoes

Post  Goosegirl 1/30/2014, 6:34 pm

Yardslave wrote:Hi all,

Well, it's about time to start some tomato seedlings, but I don't want to repeat last Summer's tomato roast in my garden. I'm in Zone 14 & Temperatures went well above 100 degrees in late July and early August. Before that, as the temperature passed 90 degrees the plants stopped flowering. All the fruit that set began to show light sun-scorch markings on them and didn't even ripen. The only plants that seemed to be OK were the Sweet 100's. Early Girl produced well until the temp passed 90 then it stopped producing. All the plants had sun-scalded portions on their vines. It didn't seem to be a watering issue, as I kept the ground moist. Does anyone have any suggestions for more heat-tolerant Tomatoes? I'd really like to have some slicers and paste tomatoes started and in by April.
-----
Dave

Here's a link to TomatoFest's Hot/Humid Collection. Each one can be ordered individually as well, if you don't want to buy the $20 collection. However, they do have a $15 minimum order. But then again, with over 600 organic heirloom varities to choose from, I personally find it hard to limit myself to just what I can grow each year! rofl 

http://store.tomatofest.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hot&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/30/2014, 7:40 pm

Thanks for the link. The Tomatofest site is almost an overload of choices: however, I only wanted 2 packs of seeds that were under $6 and with water prices climbing and a drought declaration, I'm downsizing and don't want a ton of seeds... just need 3 or 4 plants in my garden. The ironic thing is that I live in Gary Ibsen's neighborhood, but can't do an order pick-up. It's all mail order as far as I know. Anyone else have any ideas?
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/30/2014, 7:53 pm

I took a look at the link.  You could write down the names and then look online at Bakers (an outlet in Petaluma) and other catalogs and order your choices there.

There are a few of us around Fresno and we get heat waves.  You can gently lay old sheer curtains, doubled tulle bridal material, commercially made sun screening plant covers during the worst of the heat.  2013 was my first year SFG and I had great luck with Romas.  My Early girl over-wintered in the mini green house.  Plus I bought Arkansas Travelers, Brandywines, Beefsteak, little Yellow Pear, Amish Paste, San Marzano, etc. for this year.

I'm in Zone 8B-9A so you must be using another climate rating.  Do you use SFG?  I'm so stoked because 2013 was the first year in my life I didn't have split tomatoes. And with 1-2" of wood chips, the water usage was way low.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/30/2014, 9:25 pm

here is the link to our forum seed trading, maybe you could find something there Smile

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/c5-seed-traders-corner

hope this helps
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/30/2014, 10:54 pm

Yardslave wrote:Thanks for the link. The Tomatofest site is almost an overload of choices: however, I only wanted 2 packs of seeds that were under $6 and with water prices climbing and a drought declaration, I'm downsizing and don't want a ton of seeds... just need 3 or 4 plants in my garden. The ironic thing is that I live in Gary Ibsen's neighborhood, but can't do an order pick-up. It's all mail order as far as I know. Anyone else have any ideas?

I usually only order from TomatoFest every other year or so, because the packets keep me going for a few seasons (I start heavily and give away my extra seedlings if I have enough survive).  Hopefully this year I will be successful in saving seed from my crop instead of letting everything cross like in years past - altho' the crossed volunteers saved my tomato crop one season when I scorched all my purebred starts.   Embarassed Since I am not a tomato connoisseur, the crossed mutts were just fine by me - and made some of the best sauce I have ever tasted!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/31/2014, 1:14 am

Yardslave wrote:Thanks for the link. The Tomatofest site is almost an overload of choices: however, I only wanted 2 packs of seeds that were under $6 and with water prices climbing and a drought declaration, I'm downsizing and don't want a ton of seeds... just need 3 or 4 plants in my garden. The ironic thing is that I live in Gary Ibsen's neighborhood, but can't do an order pick-up. It's all mail order as far as I know. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yardslave, Do you want to try any of these seeds? Arkansas traveler? the little Yellow Pear?

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t17027-2014-seed-list#184196
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/31/2014, 2:22 am

Sounds like the summer we had last year -- virtually no water at all and many weeks of 100+ temps, others in the high 90s. Blossoms failing to bear fruit, some sun scorching.

As a sort of off the wall idea, I wonder if you might have good luck going for tomatoes known to have especially big leaves and/or bush tomatoes and/or letting your tomatoes develop more than one stem and/or feeding them extra nitrogen to ensure more leafy shade on your fruits?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit 1/31/2014, 10:07 am

The Arkansas Traveler is good with heat.
tagyourit
tagyourit

Female Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/31/2014, 12:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I worry about some of the descriptions that don't quite live up to what the plant turns out to be. I tried Green Zebra last and it wasn't as large as it was described in the catalog, and I'm fed up with marble sized fruit that is OK for salads, but I really prefer a tomato that I can top a burger with this summer. It's frustrating to spend all that time and effort and come away with a plant that has fruit fit for a charm bracelet!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/31/2014, 4:09 pm

They're a great resource for making a chutney or a salsa, though!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/31/2014, 9:37 pm

tagyourit wrote:The Arkansas Traveler is good with heat.
Yep, they came in a hot climate collection I ordered.  Decent size.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

High heat tolerant tomatoes Empty Heat Tolerant Tomatoe

Post  Rahab222 2/1/2014, 1:47 am

Try 4th of July tomatoes.  I'm on the Texas Gulf Coast and we have heat over 100 degrees on a regular basis in the summer.  4th of July tomatoes do well in the heat, because as their name indicates, they are among the earliest producers.  These are about the size of a small orange.  They also do well in the fall garden because of the short period of time it takes for them to produce before the cold sets in, which tomatoes don't like.
Rahab222
Rahab222

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 2/1/2014, 4:28 am

I live in Florida where we have brutally hot summers and found last summer for the Homestead variety. I even remember my parents growing it in our garden as a kid. It was developed back in the 50's by the University of Florida just to withstand the heat of the Florida summers. The Homesteads I planted last year did far better than most of the varieties I planted last year. I'm starting my seeds tomorrow and you can bet that there will be several Homesteads in my garden plans.
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  at2wooden 2/1/2014, 3:13 pm

I just put in Roma and a beefsteak for spring planting.
I'll try planting Homestead 24 and Money Maker in May and another crop in Sept.
at2wooden
at2wooden

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/1/2014, 3:37 pm

My Romas did great in the heat. They slowed down during the 100+ heat wave and then resumed their production.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

High heat tolerant tomatoes Empty Bump!

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/23/2017, 7:45 pm

For you, Brian!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/24/2017, 10:59 am

Hubby can't have tomatoes anymore (Barrett's Esophagus) so they're off my grow list from now on. Since they were my most frustrating crop, I am actually more relieved than disappointed.

I did get one idea from that audio seminar last week. The seed saver guy said that seeds will adapt and modify their DNA, so if you save the best seeds from the worst conditions, they should improve in the following years. Since tomato seeds are so easy to save, I think it's worth a try. I have one unknown variety of grape tomato I'm going to try it with, that survived our brutal summer, but I'm done with all the big ones. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/24/2017, 7:20 pm

Interesting, CN!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/25/2017, 3:09 pm

This summer I tried some different varieties.  Black Vernissage, Snow Fairy (repeat) and Sun Gold (repeat) did the best.  Mortgage Lifter actually gave me a couple of nice tomatoes.  The Romas are doing good now that it is Fall, but I don't expect them to color.

Do you want my left over Iraqi seeds of Abu Rawan and Basrawya?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  alicesplace 1/7/2018, 8:24 pm

Hello from Perth Australia. Very hot summers here. I went out one day in early summer and a newly planted rose looked like a bushfire had been through. I was a only out for a few hours. That would have been early December. Now, ea ly Jan it has recovered well and even has a couple of buds. In past years my tomatoes got scorched to death. This year I have changed two things.

1. I'm using mm and

2. I'm using purchased specialty sun shade nets. They are white and very drapery, not stiff like some shades. So far my plants with these two elements at looking good. Certainly every thing under Them is not getting burned. My garden looks like tent city - but hey I have plants. I will post pictures later.

In face I could prob say that these two things have stopped me from giving up on gardening all together.

As a Newbie here I need some help please. How do I save a post I like?
alicesplace
alicesplace

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2018, 10:21 pm

Hi, Alice,  Welcome to the Forum!  glad you\'re here  The only way that I know to save a post is to bookmark the page.  Maybe someone else can chime in. Yes, post photos. We love photos. And Introduce yourself or start your own Australia thread, something like Alice's Place in Australia. Many are snowed in right now and would love so see summer photos. Do you also grow a winter garden?

Mel's Mix, shade cloth and top dressing with mulch can go a long way towards getting through the worst of summer.  Yes, "tent city" is what my back yard looks like for most of the summer.
High heat tolerant tomatoes Shade_11
High heat tolerant tomatoes Shade_12

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/8/2018, 12:28 pm

alicesplace wrote:Hello from Perth Australia.  Very hot summers here. I went out one day in early summer and a newly planted rose looked like a bushfire had been through.  I was a only out for a few hours. That would have been early December. Now, ea ly Jan it has recovered well and even has a couple of buds.  In past years my  tomatoes got scorched to death.  This year I have changed two things.

1. I'm using mm and

2. I'm using purchased specialty sun shade nets.  They are white and very drapery, not stiff like some shades.  So far  my plants  with these two elements at looking good.   Certainly every thing under Them is not getting burned.  My garden looks like tent city - but hey I have plants. I will post pictures later.

In face I could prob say that these two things have stopped me from giving up on gardening all together.

As a Newbie here I need some help please.   How do I save a post I like?
happy hi Alice.  glad you\'re here  from Redding, CA. I understand all too well about hot summers. My garden is on life support from July until October. Sad

About "saving a post" there's something in the "profile" section about "Favourites." I've never messed with it, but I'll go play with it right now and see if it will work...GOT IT!

1) Go to the thread you want to keep.
2) In the upper right corner just above the main box, it says "Actions". Click on that and you'll see "Add to your favourites." Do that, then . . .
3) Go to your "Profile" and click on "Favourites." Voila! Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/8/2018, 4:43 pm

Suz, aren't you clever! I never noticed the Action word. Learn something every day on this Forum.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  alicesplace 1/8/2018, 6:36 pm

Thanks Sue and Sanderson. Actually my name is Roseanne, but that was taken so I chose Alice because I think I'm Alice in Wonderland!

I'm planning on a winter garden this year with my mm in my sfg Just sent away yesterday for seeds so I xcited about receiving them. The company is called the seed collection and they sell organic heirloom etc for $1 per packet. I really applaud,what they are doing.. so far I have 10 sq feet. I am also a rose gardener and have a cottagish garden at the back although it looks more like a building site. I'm working towards it. I'm house sitting at the moment so can't take a pic of my sfg but have some of my roses. How do I upload a photo please.

I would love to start a Perth au thread. There was a certified instructor named Nick Bell from Perth but I thInk he must have died as I can't find anything current on him. There was an article in the newspaper and photos of his beautiful garden. He was about 89"from memory.

Greetings from oz

Roseanne
alicesplace
alicesplace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next