Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: April 2014

+9
Goosegirl
donnainzone5
walshevak
AtlantaMarie
boffer
Marc Iverson
sanderson
FamilyGardening
gwennifer
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: April 2014

Post  FamilyGardening 4/11/2014, 12:12 am

cheers  Congrats Marc!!  cheers 

so happy for you  happy dance and so glad you are willing to share your experience  study  with us!!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/11/2014, 6:42 pm

Thanks, FamilyGardening!

Yesterday I went to clip some miner's lettuce that volunteered in what had been my small hoop house last winter. They overwintered fine. But last week, there was a big hole in the cloth. Nothing seemed touched, that I could see. Yesterday, though, it was obvious what the critters had come for. My miner's lettuce had been neatly beheaded. Apparently the rabbits or squirrels or whatever like miner's lettuce as much as I do and are pretty insistent about eating it. I guess I'll need a protective cover whenever I want to grow it.

The brussels sprouts look healthy, but they're not doing much. Some of the onions are starting to bulb just a little bit. My daikon radishes bolted and have a lot of white flowers with violet tinges on the inner petals. Pretty enough to be ornamentals. I'm going to leave them be and see if I like the pods as much as another grower here who let her bolted diakons be and then loved the pods. If nothing else, the flowers are some nice bee food early in the season. Strawberries look fine. It's quite dry here lately, so I went and watered everything. I'm hoping my lobelias start doing something, and my veronicas.

I've moved a lot of seedlings outside that I may have to take indoors again, as nights are getting cool again in this upcoming week.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/13/2014, 1:56 am

Spent the day shoveling soil at a department store. Fred Myers department store has an annual "Fuschia Saturday." Customers bring their own pots, buy plants at FM, and bring them back to tables set up by the master gardeners in the parking lot to be potted with some nice Black Gold compost. The master gardeners donate their time, and I believe that in return the organization gets some sort of donation from Freddy's.

We used I think 7 ... or was it 10? pallets of compost, in single huge bags somewhere between four and five feet tall and wide, I'd guess, plus a number of regular bags.

Most of the MG's aren't young, so getting all that soil into 5-gallon buckets and other big holding bins on top of the long row of tables fell mostly to me and a fellow younger than me who's just starting to get a hint of gray in his beard, though others did help a lot, sometimes for hours. I think everyone's back was probably pretty fried by the end of the day. The event went from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., and often the pace was pretty quick.

Hard but fun day out in the sun. I bet my face hurts tomorrow. Got some more volunteer hours whittled away from the 70 I need to complete.

Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 4/14/2014, 11:21 pm

Harvested these for dinner tonight.  They were planted last fall.
PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Parsni10
The parsnip tops had died during the winter months but they have all grown back so I decided to dig two up.  I was surprised as to how big they were. They fed three and were delicious. I am in the process of removing the overwintered items (leeks and onions mostly) to make room for summer crops.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/15/2014, 1:22 am

Nice! Reminds me, I need to get the parsnips in.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/15/2014, 9:01 pm

After seeing the raves for Marvel of Four Seasons lettuce here, I had to buy a packet. Seeded a few today and a few toy choi also. Got a four-pack of Juliet yellow tomatoes the other day and repotted them today into one-gallon pots, along with a beefmaster and four Better Bush, which was one of my strongest performers last year. Also planted some more peas. Delighted to see the peas I planted last week have come up and are between an inch and two inches tall. Some spinach has sprouted, but I need to get more planted pronto if I am going to have any reasonable crop of them. Lobelias are just sitting there doing nothing, no blooms yet. A couple of blooms opening on the pansies. The veronica seems stuck, too. Healthy looking, but not getting any bigger. Elephant garlic are still the stars of the show. Everything survived our 40 degree night and looks none the worse for wear from it.

Some of my jiffy-pellet seedlings are slowly growing, but I guess there's not a lot of nutrition available for them, so few are growing very much or quickly. And about half didn't germinate at all. Last year I had very poor germination rates with them too.

Yesterday I built a 1x6 foot planter box for the kids at the elementary school. I'll take it down to the school tomorrow and plant it with tomatoes, maybe let some of the kids help if there's time. I'll put in a sungold, a beefmaster, a Juliet, and I think a sweet 100 or sweet million, whatever one of the other MG's brings tomorrow. So two full-size and two cherries.

Made inquiries at a local restaurant for leftover buckets, and got a maybe, but I have to check with my boss kind of thing. We'll see.

Tore up a lot of weed-encrusted turf from our gutters today. Very tough work. No matter what we do, there's always more.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/21/2014, 12:36 am

Nice parsnips happycamper!!

Marc sounds like you have been busy!

veggies are popping up and transplants are showing some growth in our familygardens!

SFG box1

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0852

French breakfast radishes

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0859

spinach is growing true leaves

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0860

SFG box 2

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0853

celery coming along nicely

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0861

SFG bed 3 herbs

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0854

so far in the herbs, the dill and borage are coming up!

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0855

chives

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0856

fennel and curly parsley

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0857

Flat leaf Parsley and cilantro

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0858

Back garden BTE + SFG

cole crops are doing well, lost a few but was able to plant some local garden store transplants and transplant some of our extra onions and celery seedlings in those squares....one of the big advantages of using the SFG method...if you lose a plant you can always replant something else in that square!! love it!

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0922

this is what we look forward too!!

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Dscf0862

happy gardening
rose......who also up loaded a bunch of pic's in the BTE thread too  Very Happy
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/21/2014, 12:48 am

FG Rose,  Very nice.  Very Happy   I've failed twice with spinach.  Boy, those strawberries look very promising.  I love how you have plants in the cement block holes.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/21/2014, 12:58 am

thanks Sanderson!

I just commented on how I love all your pots and containers!!

we still have to fill up most of those little areas in the cement blocks....hoping to add more flowers  Very Happy my hubby and I love the idea of the garden beds being surrounded by flowers and herbs that will flower and feed us and the pollinators  Razz 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/21/2014, 2:01 am

I like your chives growing in the holes in your cinderblocks, FG. I love the idea of dozens of little planting holes like that just popping up fortuitously from the very process of building your bed. Those holes are wonderful bonus rewards for deciding to build things that way.

I gave in to the temptation -- again! -- of buying a seed packet the other day. Okay, TWO seed packets. One was for "pineapple tomatillos" and one for "Perilla Red Shiso." The tomatillos are supposed to be quite small but prolific, yellow, and taste just like pineapple. I had so much fun with tomatillos last year that I can't wait to find out how these ones do. I wonder how they would do in a chutney? The "shiso" is a green supposedly used a lot in Japanese dishes, says the packet. The pic on the front shows lots and lots of purple among deep green leaves; its front says the plant is a "curry-like Asian herb," and the back says that it is milder than green shiso. I tend to like Asian herbs and apparently have no willpower whatsoever, so I decided to try these out. Also, it says it grows well in containers, is a warm season crop, and tolerates shade -- all of which are bang on the money for where I'm probably going to grow it.

Did a lot of repotting seedlings today, amid the usual carrying chainsawed logs up our muddy hills until I'm almost positive I'm about to have a heart attack. I seeded lots of chard and it has come up very well. I'm hoping it will become one of my go-to crops I can rely on.

Pansies are starting to bloom but my lobelias are sitting there doing a bunch of nothing.

So many great spring projects to do, but hauling away all those logs and branches almost every day is just flattening me and defeating my energy. I'm not 20 anymore and can't recover like I used to. Feeling tired all the time lately.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/21/2014, 8:55 am

I hear ya, Marc!  I'm in the same boat.  Thankfully I don't have logs to haul.  Branches from the fruit trees are enough for me!  And we gotta get the grass mowed today...  Rain back in tomorrow.  So hauling it is!

I keep telling myself it will help me lose weight/get back in shape...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/21/2014, 4:26 pm

That it will. But sometimes you don't feel like doing it all at once, right?

Branches are as good as logs, depending where you have to drag them, it seems to me. It's not lifting them with my arms that's tiring, but carrying them up and down hills. That's a full-body effort!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/21/2014, 4:36 pm

Marc you will have to let us know if the pineapple tomatillos really taste like pineapple...cause we love pineapple here in this house and it would be fun to grow some.....  Smile 

AtlantaMarie....I love your avatar!!

hubby is out mowing our laws as I sit and type....rain is do back here too!

happy gardening
rose....who is off to let the chicks have a bit of a free range before the rain starts
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/21/2014, 10:37 pm

Thanks Rose!

And I agree with you - Marc needs to let us both know how pineappley they taste!

Got the grass cut.  And a few branches hauled up the hill to our burn site.  And planted several replacement tomatoes & watermelons for what we lost.  And 11 squares of corn (4/sq).  And mulched all of that plus the 40+ okra I planted yesterday afternoon.  (40+ okra from a 4-cell container!)  Oh, and dumped stuff in the compost pile.

Got a nice sunburn for my effort too, lol.

Love the springtime in GA!  Except for the pollen...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/21/2014, 11:55 pm

We're supposed to get back to almost freezing by Friday. Weather here can be so volatile!

The other day it rained and washed all the ink off my plant tags so now I don't know what a lot of my little seedlings are anymore. LOL Sheesh, I thought ink from a sharpie could take a little rain, but I guess not. I hope I don't wind up planting a bush tomato by a trellis and leaving a determinate out where it has no support. D'oh!

Few days ago I chopped the bottoms off some green onions I bought at the supermarket and stuck them, in small groups, into four-inch (approx.) round pots, and they're growing new tops again very quickly.

Chives already have flowers on them. I guess I'll eat the flowers.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/22/2014, 7:49 am

I ended up buying some popsicle sticks in the craft dept at Wally-world yesterday.  We'll see if they do better than writing on tape/plastic tags.  Trying sharpie again.  But ran into the same thing, Marc.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 4/22/2014, 9:59 am

Marc Iverson wrote:...The other day it rained and washed all the ink off my plant tags so now I don't know what a lot of my little seedlings are anymore.  LOL  Sheesh, I thought ink from a sharpie could take a little rain, but I guess not...

...Few days ago I chopped the bottoms off some green onions I bought at the supermarket and stuck them, in small groups, into four-inch (approx.) round pots, and they're growing new tops again very quickly...
I've been saving the bottoms of my green onions for replanting, keeping them in a ziploc bag in the fridge until I get around to it. I've noticed they are regrowing even where they are in the crisper drawer.  Laughing 

I bought a grease pen from Territorial Seed Co for marking plant tags. That withstands the rain quite well.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/22/2014, 10:26 am

Marc Iverson wrote:...The other day it rained and washed all the ink off my plant tags so now I don't know what a lot of my little seedlings are anymore...

I used to have that problem.  On the advice of a forum member, I switched to an industrial Sharpie.  No more rain or sun fade on plastic markers.

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/industrial-fine-marker.aspx

An industrial Sharpie; who knew!  Razz
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

PNW: April 2014 - Page 2 Empty Inexpensive Markers

Post  southern gardener 4/22/2014, 11:24 am

We use plastic knives for markers, and a "grease pen" for the wording. You can get the plastic knives at Smart and Final. 100 for $2.99 I think it is. Got the grease pen at an art store. It's the kind that you unravel the tip. 
LOVE this set up. Tried all kinds of stuff before, wood popsicle sticks decompose, regular garden markers got brittle and broke. Permanent markers are just that, permanent so you have to search around for markers if want to re use. The grease pen STAYS on; but will come off with a little rubbing and windex LOVE IT!
The plastic knives have been in use for about 4 seasons?? Still look GREAT, virtually none have broken/snapped, and there's plenty of room to write the name of the plant too. We had a BBQ this weekend, and used the knives for our steaks. So, if someone wanted to get "used ones" I'm sure you can find those too Smile  God Bless!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/22/2014, 11:32 am

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/22/2014, 2:05 pm

boffer wrote:
Marc Iverson wrote:...The other day it rained and washed all the ink off my plant tags so now I don't know what a lot of my little seedlings are anymore...

I used to have that problem.  On the advice of a forum member, I switched to an industrial Sharpie.  No more rain or sun fade on plastic markers.

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/industrial-fine-marker.aspx

An industrial Sharpie; who knew!  Razz

Never heard of that; thanks for the heads-up, boffer.

Southern gardener, your knife-and-grease-pen idea sounds good too.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/22/2014, 7:07 pm

+1!  Gotta try that next time!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/27/2014, 6:21 am

Its the end of april......what is planted and growing in every ones garden so far?

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/27/2014, 11:12 am

Cool season:
artichokes, beets, bok choi, broccoli, cabbages, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chard, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, onions, peas, potatoes, radishes, spinach, turnips

Warm season:
tomatoes, cukes, and squash seedlings are still under lights.  I think I've finally accepted that there's no benefit to transplanting  these veggies early.  Corn and beans will be direct seeded in a couple weeks.

So far, peas are my only problematic veggie this year.   I have them planted in the ground, in a box, and in planters.  They were stagger planted over a month,  and they're all having lousy germination rates.  Yet the same seeds  in planters in the greenhouse are doing great.  All are tried and proven seeds from TSC.  C'est la vie!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/27/2014, 8:18 pm

Boffer our sugar snap peas are off as well.....first year for them trying to bunch all together and not grow even on the trellis......im thinking it is because this is the first time we didn't direct sown but transplanted from seedlings we started.....another sugar snap pea we direct sown in containers had germination issues this year....it the first time for us to try them.....they are seed we bought for fall sowing....they are called sugar daddies and they are a bush type of sugar snap peas....I sure hope we end up having a good harvest from them as they are one of our families favorite  Very Happy 

Our Cool season:

artichokes doing good we thought we lost them in the freeze........ bok choi is doing ok as the slugs are loving them!.....broccoli, cabbages, cauliflower are doing better.... celery is doing great this just maybe a celery year..... lettuce, onions doing good....spinach is spotty.....potatoes look awesome.... radishes surprising doing well as we always seem to have problems with germ over the years.....turnips sprouted and have grown since??....carrots are starting to show up  Very Happy 

we still have lots of green onions and leeks to transplant........

some of our herbs are up....chives, fennel, borage, dill, cilantro, parsley & we transplant a few others that seem to be munched on by something.....may end up buying starts for the ones we lose....

Summer crops

peppers are under the lights and growing slow, we pretty much lost all of our tomato seedlings so we are just going to buy tomato plants this year.....

been thinking about direct sowing winter squash, pumpkins, cucumbers and summer squash.....what do you guys think? do you think they will grow from direct seed here in the PNW and have time to mature to harvest?

will be direct sowing beans and corn.....not sure when though......Im not sitting on the ground to check to see if its warm enough....... rofl will let Boffer take the lead and plant when he does  sunny 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next