Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Toplef10When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings I22gcj10When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Toplef10When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings I22gcj10When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings

+3
landarch
sanderson
Babygr33nthumb
7 posters

Go down

When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Empty When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings

Post  Babygr33nthumb 7/11/2014, 2:08 am

So I am glad I hung in there with my SFG -- (wouldn't have done it without the encouragement from you all. Smile So now I have some cucumber babies that seem to take off overnight with our hot days and storms and my intermittent watering.
So I wanted to know when should I harvest the two large ones I have that look like this:

When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings 33aaw6f The seed packet didn't give a DTM time so I looked it up online and it said 57 days. I am trying to get an understanding of when to pick.

Also, for those that are growing watermelons,if someone could tell me how many of these I should snip out: When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings 3444e2r I know I shouldn't pull it because it would disturb the roots.

Thanks
Babygr33nthumb
Babygr33nthumb

Back to top Go down

When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Empty Re: When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings

Post  sanderson 7/11/2014, 2:18 am

I'm happy for you with your cucumbers. I'll let others address when to pick them. I don't know what type they are and what they should look like at maturity. As far as the watermelons, what size is their box? Are you going to trellis or let them fall over the edges and ramble around on the ground?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Empty Re: When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings

Post  landarch 7/11/2014, 11:53 am

I tend to pick pickling cucumbers on the small side just because they seem to get too big the next time I go check them...I think they turn a bit yellow and fat once they get aged and past the point of tasting good. 

With slicing cucumbers, I tend to let them get as big as the package says they should....for example, Chelsea Prize 12-15", Straight Eight 8", Marketmore 8-9".
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Babygr33nthumb 7/11/2014, 12:58 pm

I'm sorry I should have added the needed info -- They are "Boston Pickling" cucumbers started 5/3. I wasn't sure when to pick them because I was hoping they would get a little greener. Do I need to fertilize more?

Also, I want to trellis the watermelons. - They are the smaller kind, "Sugar Baby" and are planted in a 2x2x12 box. Do I need to keep mounding them as they grow?

Babygr33nthumb
Babygr33nthumb

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/11/2014, 1:25 pm

I am also growing sugar baby watermelons.  No, as far as I know you do not need to keep hilling them.

Here is my watermelon trellis.  The legs are 8 foot T posts. .  I also installed a 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch board on the very top and one on the bottom about 6 inches above the ground.  I attached nylon netting to the top and bottom boards and to the T posts with zip ties.  The top and bottom boards give the trellis stability and also allow you to attach a makeshift sling to hold the watermelon if you think you need it.  There are about 5 good size fruits and about 5 the size of baseballs on the trellis now.
When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Waterm11
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Babygr33nthumb 7/14/2014, 12:18 am

Very nice Yolos!! Was that expensive to make? I am gardening on a limited budget. It sounds like from what you wrote that it holds the weight well?
It also looks like you have more than one plant. So should I snip two out of my 2x2 and trellis the other two?
Babygr33nthumb
Babygr33nthumb

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/14/2014, 10:08 pm

Babygr33nthumb wrote:Very nice Yolos!! Was that expensive to make? I am gardening on a limited budget. It sounds like from what you wrote that it holds the weight well?
It also looks like you have more than one plant. So should I snip two out of my 2x2 and trellis the other two?

In the following picture, my watermelons are at the bottom of the picture followed by a row of cantaloupes and then pumpkins.  That is a 4 foot wide bed.  I have three groups of watermelons with 1 foot between each group.  Each group contains two plants.  I was going to wait until they got established to determine the most vigorous plant and thin down to one plant per group.  But, I can never make myself do any thinning so I just let them all grow.
When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Waterm12

The trellis is made from 7 or 8 foot T posts.  You can check on line at Lowes or Home Depot or Tractor supply to find the cost of each.  The nylon net runs anywhere from 4 to 6 dollars depending on where you buy it.  The top and bottom of the trellis is approx. a 1 x 1 or 3/4 x 3/4 piece of wood four feet long.  I got the wood free from work so I don't know what they cost.  Some people just use twine or wire across the top and bottom but I use wood cause it is free and makes the trellis sturdier and you can tie slings from the top if needed.  Then I used zip ties to attach the netting to the sides, top and bottom.  But you could use wire or twine to secure the netting.  Or you can look at Camprn's thread "Trellis" and make your own netting.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/26/2018, 6:57 pm

Does anyone else use this guide for when a watermelon is ready to harvest?

TreeHugger: "Examine the vine: The leaves and vine itself should still be green and healthy-looking, but on a ripe watermelon, the tendril closest to the fruit will tend to be brown and dried. If the tendril is still green, the watermelon is probably still ripening. If the whole vine and leaves are getting brown, the watermelons probably won't get any riper, and it might be best to harvest them before they go bad."

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/27/2018, 6:31 am

Look also at the bottom of the melon.  If there's a lighter YELLOW spot, it's ready for harvest.  White means it's still developing.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/27/2018, 4:44 pm

sanderson wrote:Does anyone else use this guide for when a watermelon is ready to harvest?

TreeHugger: "Examine the vine: The leaves and vine itself should still be green and healthy-looking, but on a ripe watermelon, the tendril closest to the fruit will tend to be brown and dried. If the tendril is still green, the watermelon is probably still ripening. If the whole vine and leaves are getting brown, the watermelons probably won't get any riper, and it might be best to harvest them before they go bad."
Yes the tendril closest to the fruit method is what I use mostly but I always have trouble and actually stopped growing them.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/27/2018, 7:00 pm

I use the tendril cue as well, and also check color and overall plant health matters as well.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 4/11/2019, 1:23 pm

I use the tendril method as well.  I have the mini melons and grow them on trellises, so I don’t think there is any yellow spot
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/12/2019, 3:36 am

Toledo, What variety do you grow on the trellis? I can't get a Sugar Baby plant to grow big enough to vine up. Third try this year so I'm sure it will be a charm. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/9/2023, 6:07 pm

Sugar Baby watermelons!  The first one I picked that I thought was ripe was mostly white.
These are a tad over ripe but juicy and sweet.
 When to harvest? / Watermelon seedlings Waterm12

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down