Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 Toplef10Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 I22gcj10Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 Toplef10Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 I22gcj10Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Really frustrating gardening summer-2014

+12
RJPugh
CapeCoddess
Windmere
GardenGroupie
yolos
llama momma
Marc Iverson
sanderson
martha
walshevak
southern gardener
Judy McConnell
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 Empty Really frustrating gardening summer-2014

Post  Judy McConnell 8/16/2014, 11:16 am

Too many diseases on the tomatoes - just a few fruit from them.  Since my were leaf diseases, now I see new leaves and blossoms so maybe a few more fruit will form.
Because I've had leaf fungi in the past, I tried growing in 5 gal buckets, a MM bed, and literally just threw the last two seedlings in garden soil - very interesting these have done the best with no signs of diseased leaves, but late in ripening fruit.

Tried a pole bean - Scarlet runner - lots of blossoms, few beans.  However the experiment proved that pole beans would grow in my beds.  Will try Dragon Tongue, etc. next season (from your recommendations).

A zucchini plant and 2 cucumbers (no luck in the past) did produce a fruit or two but again nothing great or outstanding.

Bush beans did OK and the swiss chard is really happy, so there are pluses.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 Empty Re: Really frustrating gardening summer-2014

Post  southern gardener 8/16/2014, 12:08 pm

sorry Judy Sad  That's soooo frustrating!! There's something "to" real soil. Seems like the healthy plants can fend off things too. Hope next time goes better for you! We LOVE our Dragon Tongue Beans!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 Empty Re: Really frustrating gardening summer-2014

Post  walshevak 8/16/2014, 12:18 pm

+1  very frustrating gardening summer this year. Was late getting started  The store bought tomatoes got something early and only the later cherry volunteers are surviving and one maybe heirloom in the compost pile.  Swiss chard,one of the easiest things to grow was a washout. Pumpkins grew great vines and bloomed for over three months but never formed fruit.  Then the vines just turned brown.  Cuke vines turned brown early. Only a few cukes.  Squash produced 1 or 2 fruits per plant then went the way of the cuke vines.  Collards didn't thrive.  Kale which usually survives my summers is struggling.  Beans covered in aphids and very few beans on beautiful vines.  I have a second planting that may make a crop.   Garlic was small. 

Successes - sugar baby watermelons, slightly bigger than softballs, but sweet and got about 10 on 4 vines.  Same with cantaloupe. 
succession plantings of lettuce in the shade of a tree.
banana peppers
yellow cayenne peppers
red, orange and purple bell peppers
short stubby carrots
the few onions I planted

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 8/16/2014, 12:32 pm

Hugs, Kay.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/16/2014, 2:04 pm

bear hug 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/16/2014, 10:30 pm

Sorry you had problems, Judy, Kay, and others.  

I know the feeling.  I planted late, but only because my early plantings were all stunted or killed off by disease.  It's a sorta desperate game of catch-up, as far as desperation goes in gardening.  Thank God I'm not a farmer!  I'd really be in trouble ...

Hope you all do better next year, or in the cooler fall season, and have at least a few small victories to tide you over until the next round of good luck.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/17/2014, 12:24 am

So lets see where we're all from- Virginia, North Carolina, Oregon, and I'm in Ohio and I agree.

2014 is going into my garden notebook as The Big Ol' Stinkeroo   
 I give up!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/17/2014, 5:30 am

Add California. Curly leaf disease - so far about 6 tomatoes. Spider mites on beans.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/17/2014, 9:55 am

Pumpkins - SVB + pickle worms + squash bugs
Pink Eye Purple Hull Peas - aphids
Eggplant- those tiny beetles (can't remember their names)
Sweet Potatoes - chipmunks
Squash - powdery mildew
Zucchini - powdery mildew
Royal Burgundy Beans - some kind of caterpillar
Tomatoes - Early Blight
Watermelon - Downy mildew
Cantaloupe - pickle worms (or equivalent)
Beans - Japanese Beetles
Cucumbers - Pickle worms and downy mildew

This is all very typical of growing here in this garden and environment and climate.  But some of my tomatoes have survived longer than any past summer so I am learning.  I put tulle over my squash and Zucchini bed so no SVB on them (I am leaning).  Next year more consistent and early spraying with copper fungicide and no more unruly pumpkins that hide the SVB and squash bug eggs on their long vines and big leaves.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 8/17/2014, 11:12 am

I've been wondering where the Japanese beetles are as I had seen perhaps two after the deluge of Colorado potato beetles had their way with my lettuce, arugula, and kale. About 25 feet from my garden area is a small round meadow where my husband filled with wild flower - lots of goldenrod. I was looking at the dozens of different kinds of bees (orange?) all over the flowers (on a few of the goldenrod, I saw three different kinds of bees. 

What else did I see? Japanese beetles - a lot of them. Just hoping the flowers in the meadow keep them busy.
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/17/2014, 11:59 am

Yolos - yikes! Keep the faith.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/17/2014, 12:49 pm

sanderson wrote:Yolos - yikes!  Keep the faith.

It is like this every year.  I am learning to keep things alive until I get a decent harvest.  This year I filled my freezer with beans, edamame, peas, zucchini, squash, tomato sauce, some eggplant, tried a frozen cucumber and gave a lot of stuff away.  So I will eventually figure out the best varieties, fungicides, insecticides (all as natural as possible) as well as row covers to keep the garden going throughout the summer.  Taking it easy now and waiting for after Sept 1 to clean it up and start fall plantings.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/17/2014, 2:51 pm

we've had an amazing year. Next year tho, will try only PM resistant varieties if we can. Our cucumbers are still producing like crazy, even tho the vines look terrible. Our pumpkin plants are growing down the hill!! yesssssss!! might actually get some this year! Can you guys chime in on stuff that you've grown that you love and is PM resistant?  thanks!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/17/2014, 9:29 pm

yolos wrote:Pumpkins - SVB + pickle worms + squash bugs
Pink Eye Purple Hull Peas - aphids
Eggplant- those tiny beetles (can't remember their names)
Sweet Potatoes - chipmunks
Squash - powdery mildew
Zucchini - powdery mildew
Royal Burgundy Beans - some kind of caterpillar
Tomatoes - Early Blight
Watermelon - Downy mildew
Cantaloupe - pickle worms (or equivalent)
Beans - Japanese Beetles
Cucumbers - Pickle worms and downy mildew

This is all very typical of growing here in this garden and environment and climate.  But some of my tomatoes have survived longer than any past summer so I am learning.  I put tulle over my squash and Zucchini bed so no SVB on them (I am leaning).  Next year more consistent and early spraying with copper fungicide and no more unruly pumpkins that hide the SVB and squash bug eggs on their long vines and big leaves.
Ah yolos... I do feel you pain.  They are called flea beetles by the way, and I know them well.  My Asian eggplants fared badly (I got three sad little eggplants), but my favorite Black Beauty is strong and I try to pay it some attention from time to time.  If all goes well (and the existing fruit fully ripen), I will have gotten nine eggplants from the dear thing.

My first experience with zucchini resulted in my introduction to that borer creature.  I am going to try to uproot that tomorrow and plant something else there.  If that borer thing is in the soil...  does that mean there are certain things I can't plant there?  I'd like to plant to fennel in its place.  ---  Oh, and it wasn't a complete bust because I got something like five zucchini that we grilled.  They were amazing!  In light of this...  I'm going to try again next year.

Yolos, last year I had terrible problems with mildew on my cucumbers and I almost did not plant any this year.  However, this year, I learned of the "Eureka" variety.  It is supposed to be disease resistant.  Evidently it is true because I did not have mildew issues with the ones I have.  I produces "pickle" type cucumbers.  I did not know that pickle cucumbers can actually have little thorns on them.  Eggplant too for that matter.  I learned this the hard way (ha ha).

Of course, my tomatoes are also done due to blight.  The exception is my daughter's yellow pear tomato.  She rescued it.  It was a "stump" because it fell as a young plant and the stem snapped off clear to the bottom.  It is succumbing to blight, but it is so heavy with fruit that it fell over (along with its supporting tomato cage).  Overall, I have to say that, despite blight, I am pleased with this year's tomatoes.

Peppers did well.  I was happy about that.  Kentucky Wonder beans were planted late.. and they seem to be ok.

Of the things you mentioned above, what I mentioned is all planted this year.

I learned a lot this year.  I think the most important thing I learned is that BT Thuricide is an organic gardener's best friend.  I realize that some may not be comfortable using it... but I had dramatic results.  I will never be without it again.  I wish used it my first year.

Keep up the fight yolos!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 Empty New beginning - fall

Post  Judy McConnell 8/20/2014, 10:56 am

Sorry that others had a poor summer harvest, too.  The 2 healthy tomato plants have begun producing so I was able to can 4 pints of tomatoes this morning Very Happy  not the usual amount but they will be good in soups, etc.

Local farm/garden store had kale seedlings and they seem cabbage butterfly larvae free - a CLOSE eye will be kept on these babies, with a tulle covering when the plants get into their permanent site this evening. 

May your fall gardens outshine the summer ones.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/20/2014, 11:21 am

southern gardener wrote:Can you guys chime in on stuff that you've grown that you love and is PM resistant?  thanks!!
Cucumbers - I'm having good luck with Marketmore and Burpee Burpless.  Not prolific, mind you, but that may be due to the cool summer we're having. 

Zucchini - Dunja is supposed to be PM resistant and I'll try that next year.  Quiltbea is growing it this year and having good luck.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/20/2014, 11:52 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
southern gardener wrote:Can you guys chime in on stuff that you've grown that you love and is PM resistant?  thanks!!
Cucumbers - I'm having good luck with Marketmore and Burpee Burpless.  Not prolific, mind you, but that may be due to the cool summer we're having. 

Zucchini - Dunja is supposed to be PM resistant and I'll try that next year.  Quiltbea is growing it this year and having good luck.

CC
Thank you. Our Marketmore were a big bust with the PM...wondering if there are diff types? The BEST we've grown are the Armenian and Persian. Persians are amazing, long, straight green, NO pm. We get several each week, and no bitterness. The armenian's are covered in PM, but still give lots of cucs! TY again!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/21/2014, 8:39 am

CapeCoddess wrote:

CC
Southern Gardener, Eureka cucumber seeds served me well this year.  Eureka is not completely PM resistant, but the amount it gets is negligible.   I've gotten lots of good cucumbers and they sweet and crunchy.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  RJPugh 10/8/2014, 12:08 pm

This year was my first SFG, and empirically it did not do well.  I planted late (very long story), so a blistering heat wave in June and July appears to have stunted or even killed many of my plants at a crucial point in their growth cycle.  None of my leafy vegetables grew, the peppers and cucumbers never thrived, while the radishes and carrots never got beyond sprout size.  I even tried a few corn, and they didn’t do well either.

What did do well, though, were green bush beans, snow peas, strawberries, and Roma tomatoes.  I didn’t have enough plants to have an effective crop of beans and peas, but they did grow and produce normally, so at least I know they worked and I have a lot of ideas for improving next year's crop.  The strawberries went dormant during the heat wave, but in late August they started producing berries again (that's actually quite normal).  The tomatoes were slow getting started, but once they got going they were very consistent, and are still producing.  I have a bunch of them in the freezer, and plan to make a big batch of sauce after the last ones come in.

Despite the disappointing yield, I’m not deterred.  I did learn a lot, and I have a lot of ideas for next year. I won't be doing a fall crop because one of things I learned was that my location wasn't the best, and the box I used wasn't very good.  So I'll be spending the fall and winter setting up a better pair of boxes at a more suitable point on my land.

RJPugh (Culpeper, Virginia)
RJPugh
RJPugh

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/8/2014, 12:42 pm

RJPugh, I'm glad you are not deterred and are looking forward to next year. The first season seems to be a big learning curve for a lot of us. Congrats on the beans, peas, strawberries and Roma successes. Really frustrating gardening summer-2014 3170584802 Have fun making your changes this fall and winter. You'll be ready to hit the road running in the spring.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/8/2014, 1:47 pm

RJPugh, keep your chin up. And re fall gardening, unless your site is absolutely terrible, you can probably still grow something in pots if you like.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Cherbear 10/9/2014, 12:35 pm

The only things that grew well for me this summer were tomatoes, basil and garlic. And raspberries, but they are not SFG. The pole beans did so-so. The beets never grew much and I planted the sweet potatoes way too late. Peppers hardly grew at all. The jalapeno stopped producing and the fruit is still small. Anyone have any suggestions what the problem might be? I have been topdressing with home  made compost, but my garden ended up being taken over by lamb's lettuce.
Cherbear
Cherbear

Female Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/10/2014, 1:02 am

Cherbear, Being in lower latitude, my peppers get plenty of sun light hours and warmth. Did you start yours from seedlings, move them to a green house? A little more information on how you started them and what their summer journey was like might help trouble shoot. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cherbear 10/10/2014, 1:11 pm

I started the peppers in the house, and only got one plant from the many I planted. It went right in the garden as I don't have a green house. I think I planted it in July. Embarassed
Cherbear
Cherbear

Female Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/10/2014, 1:30 pm

In the house under lights? Starting seedlings early inside is art itself. Last winter (2013-2014) was my first time. I lost all of my tomatoes, some tomatillos and eggplants, and something else (?) to curly leaf disease that is transmitted by leaf hoppers. Somewhere between the house and the green house for hardening, they were attacked. I never saw a hopper.

Do you think they got some type of disease, soggy feet, small insects? Gosh, I wish I could help figure out what went wrong and how to tweak things for you to have peppers.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next