Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson Toplef10New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson I22gcj10New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson Toplef10New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson I22gcj10New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson

+6
llama momma
happycamper
Judy McConnell
sanderson
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
10 posters

Go down

New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson Empty New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson

Post  Marc Iverson 11/8/2014, 4:36 pm

Hi everyone!  I'm the new regional host for the Pacific Northwest Region.

My first act will be to institute a reign of terror such as the world has never ... no, wait, that was my prom.  No, wait, that was Carrie ...

Me, I'll just try to be helpful and encouraging and have an open ear for anyone who needs one.

PNW's regional forum has been a quiet forum.  I hope everyone feels comfortable posting here, and want to encourage everyone to post new topics whenever the mood strikes them.  In any forum.  It doesn't have to be the best topic ever; it enough that it's yours.  Let us know who you are, how you're doing, and what you're thinking.  

The worst that could happen is that you don't get a lot of responses.  But it's you and me and people like us that make a forum an active, interesting place to be.  What goes around tends to come around -- we get more responses to our own topics and posts by building a community between each other and by welcoming strangers ... by responding ourselves to other people and their topics and posts.  It's, like, a virtuous circle, man.  By all means, simply lurk and enjoy if you like.  The price is right!  But your participation will always be welcome.

Now to bore you further, it's forum tradition for new hosts to give a write-up of who they are, at least as relates to gardening and SFG, so here goes.

I got the ANSFG book after reading these forums for a while.  They sold me on the idea of a growing medium that would help me through the summers here in Southern Oregon, where it's commonly held that we get no rain all summer.  Temps can be around 95 to 100 degrees or better for any part or nearly all of the summer.  And the soil is no help, being either decomposed granite or clay.  Almost everybody here grows in raised beds, so ANSFG didn't seem as radical an idea to me as it might to others.  To me, it was mostly about the soil -- and Mel's Mix sounded like perfect soil.  Great water retention, great aeration, high nutrient level -- everything my native soil didn't have all at once!

Unfortunately, where I live, almost everything is in full or partial shade, so most things don't grow well.  Luckily, I've had neighbors offer up some of their unused beds for my use.  What luck!  But the only place I've been able to use real Mel's Mix in is in containers.  And that has worked quite well, wherever I've found enough sun.  Next spring, though, I'll introduce some vermiculite and peat to the rich compost in one of my neighbor's beds and be on my way to a slow conversion to Mel's Mix soil in a great bed that gets full sun.

This is my third year of gardening in the PNW, and my first year using Mel's Mix and SFG/ANSFG-style intensive and successive planting.  A couple of weeks ago I got my Master Gardener's badge, having gone through our county's required 70 hours of instruction and 70 volunteer hours(much more actually, if you want them). I volunteer at a local school garden, helping teach the kids gardening and getting them into fresh food and flowers, and volunteer at numerous other master-gardening events in the community.  Additionally, I volunteer delivering food at Food & Friends, a charity that delivers one square meal a day to needy housebound seniors.  To try to turn the occasional dollar, I help do a little business writing for a hotel development company and a commercial furnishings company, and I'm also getting set up to apprentice to a fiction editor at a publishing house.

Anyway, enough about me -- long live the PNW!  Questions, concerns, problems, let me know.  I'm not here every day, but check in often, and will always try to help.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson Empty Re: New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson

Post  CapeCoddess 11/8/2014, 6:15 pm

Well that's just perfectly wonderful,  Marc.     way to go 
The Pacific Northwest is very fortunate to have you. Congratulations!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson Empty Re: New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson

Post  sanderson 11/8/2014, 9:40 pm

Welcome new RH! Nice write-up New PNW regional host -- Marc Iverson 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 11/9/2014, 6:55 am

Congrats and I enjoyed your write-up.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 11/9/2014, 1:22 pm

Congratulations!  I have enjoyed so many of your posts you will make a great regional host for the Pacific Northwest.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/11/2014, 5:15 am

Thanks, folks!

I may be the host, but you're the ones that matter. I hope you'll all contribute whenever you feel the mood, or just chat and say hello. It's all good in the PNW family.

This region has its challenges, but it really is lovely in its own way. All I have to do is look around, or drive around, in any direction and see the glory of nature. And I don't mean that slightly or ironically. There is glory everywhere I look here. There is no point at which I don't feel grace has touched the land. Nothing can replace our beauty and our luck to be here. I just hope we can appreciate the opportunity that we've been given.

It's no small thing. I've grown up elsewhere. In beautiful places, too. Fantasy places, including Hawaii. I know what beautiful looks like. I don't want to make comparisons and stir up talk about sports teams. But this really is an outstandingly beautiful region. And I say that as someone who grew up in the state most people in the world would probably spontaneously volunteer is the most beautiful. The PNW really is beautiful, and we really are lucky.

Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/11/2014, 8:05 am

It's so nice to see more regional hosts, way to go Marc, you'll be perfect! 
Just remember to give yourself a break to avoid burn out. Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/11/2014, 4:55 pm

Marc, you'll be a great RH!  Glad you've joined us!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/13/2014, 5:10 pm

So glad you are not starting a reign of terror, marc, as I am easily terrified.
Thank goodness for all those who volunteer to be hosts. I for one appreciate you all.
Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 11/13/2014, 5:35 pm

Congrats on your new position Marc.  I always enjoy reading your posts.  I wish you much success!!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 11/14/2014, 6:43 pm

Congrats sunny Marc you will be a great host!!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down