Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND Toplef10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND I22gcj10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND Toplef10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND I22gcj10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND

+11
CapeCoddess
yolos
MrBooker
sanderson
donnainzone5
BeetlesPerSqFt
AtlantaMarie
Scorpio Rising
camprn
countrynaturals
Robbomb116
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND Empty SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND

Post  Robbomb116 8/12/2016, 3:40 pm

Hello everyone. Brand new gardener and I'm going to try to build my boxes this weekend.  If I get them ready, is there any chance I could grow a few squares of radishes and spinach yet this fall? I'm in nd and on the border between zone 3 and 4. I would be willing to build a pvc hoop house structure with clear plastic to offer some frost protection if necessary.  Thanks!
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND Empty Re: SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND

Post  countrynaturals 8/12/2016, 5:49 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:Hello everyone. Brand new gardener and I'm going to try to build my boxes this weekend.  If I get them ready, is there any chance I could grow a few squares of radishes and spinach yet this fall? I'm in nd and on the border between zone 3 and 4. I would be willing to build a pvc hoop house structure with clear plastic to offer some frost protection if necessary.  Thanks!
happy hi glad you\'re here & good luck. I don't know the answer, but I have my fingers crossed for you. I'm in Redding, CA, so my problem is that it's still too hot for radishes, so I have to wait until we get out of the triple digits. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along, soon, and let you know if you can still plant in your area. Smile
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND Empty Re: SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND

Post  camprn 8/12/2016, 5:58 pm

No, not too late.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/12/2016, 6:27 pm

Just check the days to maturity on the radishes!  Some of them take longer than 28-30 days!  You are good to go!  

Welcome!  Introduce yourself when you get you stuff planted!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/13/2016, 8:00 am

Hi Robbomb. Welcome from Atlanta, GA! Glad you've joined us...

Shouldn't be too late - spinach is a winter-type plant.

Radish - I'm not sure & will bow to Camp's wisdom & knowledge.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 8/13/2016, 9:15 am

I'm glad everyone thinks I've got time yet! Was itching to go 2 months ago,  but had more important things going on (line getting married).  I might evend give some baby bok choy and Swiss chard a try this fall.  Overall my expectations are still pretty low for this fall, mother nature can be so finicky here in North Dakota.  Fargo ND was even voted by the weather channel as having the worst weather in America haha.

Probably just going to have to keep a close watch on any potential  early hard freezes and have some protection ready.

Thanks again for the optimism and welcome! 

Atlanta Marie - I honestly don't think there is much of a thing of a winter vegetable in my area without a serious greenhouse haha. Not much can stand down to -30 degrees and 60 mph winds! But don't worry, we'll still manage to hit 111 in the summer a couple times!
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/13/2016, 9:44 am

I agree with camprn, but I'll be loquacious about it:

I'm finding a first frost date for Bismark of 9/24, so 42 days. That's right around the maturity date on my spinach seed packets, so go for it! A plastic cover will help if you have wind (and can secure it well enough against said same.) Wind exacerbates the effects of cold. If you use a cover make sure
- the plants aren't touching the plastic
and
- you don't forget to water (last year I 'learned' that rain/snow won't go though plastic Embarassed )
Also, I've read that snow can collapse plastic covers. I'd guess you'd have it down before heavy snow, but I don't have a good idea of when that usually happens in ND. lots o

My Miyashike daikon radish lists 50 days - longer than your typical spring radish, like Scorpio indicates. But like spinach, they are cold tolerant. I left some of my daikons in the garden last year to see what would happen to them in the cold. They survived the first freeze (we didn't have a preceding first frost last year) on October 18th and recovered to do more growing. They were still ok on the 4th of November, but by the first of January the tops of the tops of the radish roots were damaged from the repeating freezing and thawing. So you should be fine getting them to maturity, but you can't leave them all winter. I also learned that once there isn't much else in the garden, cabbage butterfly caterpillars will start eating radish leaves, and the first freeze won't necessarily kill them!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/13/2016, 10:38 am

Robbomb116 wrote:Atlanta Marie - I honestly don't think there is much of a thing of a winter vegetable in my area without a serious greenhouse haha. Not much can stand down to -30 degrees and 60 mph winds! But don't worry, we'll still manage to hit 111 in the summer a couple times!
YIKES! I'm sorry I read that. I think I'll go out in the back yard and kiss our 105 degree hardpack-rock-filled "dirt."  Shocked affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/13/2016, 11:44 am

My Mel-style hoop house survived 2' of snow in early 2013. 

When using plastic, it's best to cut a few slits to allow ventilation.  Also, I learned the hard way to cover with frost cloth first, so the plastic doesn't touch your plants.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/13/2016, 4:23 pm

Hi, Rob.  Congrats on the wedding! hb

This first winter lots o will be a great learning experience.  The neat thing about this Forum is that someone in a Region/Zone will have some experience to share. Try kale also. I cover my winter crops with bridal tulle to keep the white butterfly out of the beds as we have relatively mild winters. Joann's Fabrics with a printable 50% coupon! Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 8/13/2016, 5:41 pm

Maybe I'll get some more use out of the expensive wedding dress after all! Twisted Evil

Repurposing is a good thing right?
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/13/2016, 6:00 pm

lol! Absolutely!   sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/14/2016, 12:32 am

donnainzone5 wrote:My Mel-style hoop house survived 2' of snow in early 2013. 

When using plastic, it's best to cut a few slits to allow ventilation.  Also, I learned the hard way to cover with frost cloth first, so the plastic doesn't touch your plants.
This is good to know, Donna! I think what I was reading about was probably tunnel row covers with wire supports, rather than a Mel-style hoop house with PVC supports.

This may be a silly question, but where does one get big pieces of plastic for hoop houses - and are there particular types of plastic to get or avoid in terms of holding up better outdoors?

Congrats on the wedding, Rob! I had your first post up in a tab to try to remember to reply to it last week, but I've just switched to a new computer and left my pile of browser tabs behind. Regarding recycling the wedding dress... you might want to get some more use out of the marriage first.  Laughing
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 8/14/2016, 7:36 am

Here is a great site for winter gardening. If I'm not mistaken, this lady is in Canada and gardens all winter long.
http://www.motherofahubbard.com/category/winter-vegetable-gardening/

I have my hoop houses up and ready for fall and winter.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/14/2016, 10:11 am

MrBooker wrote:Here is a great site for winter gardening. If I'm not mistaken, this lady is in Canada and gardens all winter long.

No, she is in Eastern Kentucky.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 8/14/2016, 11:02 am

yolos wrote:
MrBooker wrote:Here is a great site for winter gardening. If I'm not mistaken, this lady is in Canada and gardens all winter long.

No, she is in Eastern Kentucky.
Thanks Yolos. I dont know why I thought she was in Canada. I have been studying her site for awhile and have bought all the varieties she recommends for fall and winter planting. Most of which is planted except for the Inchelium Red Garlic Bulbs which wont be shipped til the middle of next month..

I paid $4.00 per bulb at Gurneys and I found some really nice locally grown garlic at a farmers market yesterday for .75 cents per bulb. I bought five...lol

Inchelium Red Garlic
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/14/2016, 11:32 am

MrBooker wrote:

.. I found some really nice locally grown garlic at a farmers market yesterday for .75 cents per bulb. I bought five...lol

Well done! way to go
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 8/14/2016, 11:37 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
MrBooker wrote:

.. I found some really nice locally grown garlic at a farmers market yesterday for .75 cents per bulb. I bought five...lol

Well done! way to go
CC
Yup.. Thats what I thought. I think its still a little warm to plant them although I'm getting itchy. rock on
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/14/2016, 2:02 pm

I know, I used to get the itch to plant things too soon, too. It's taken me 5 years to learn to back off. Laughing You could always plant one or two just to see what happens. I think I probably did that but I don't remember the results. Just write down what you did and what happens on your garden calendar or whatever you use so you don't have to repeat it too many times. I wish I had done that.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/14/2016, 2:18 pm

Keeping a journal . . . priceless.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/14/2016, 10:53 pm

spinach will grow under the snow...and you could always use some type of season extension.  

If you search previous threads, CitizenKate explained a great way to start spinach seeds indoors (my luck turned around by doing what she did).  She even posted pics, but here's a quick rundown.

1.  snip a small piece of the outer seed coating off with a pair of nail clippers.
2.  soak overnight in a damp paper towel in the fridge.
3.  in a day or two (maybe a bit more) you will see which seeds germinate quickly...plant those.  don't waste time on those that are too slow to germinate or never do.

research a good spinach for your area...I like Bloomsdale for cooking (it takes a bunch cause it cooks down to nothing - but tasty)...and I like baby-leaf varieties to add to salads, wraps, sandwiches, etc...I think I've tried Lavewa and Catalina and had decent luck.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 8/15/2016, 8:47 am

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND 20160810

Well, got the 2 4x4 boxes built, but we didn't have enough time to mix the MM and fill them up.  Just gotta do that this coming weekend and should be good to give it a try this fall.  But that does knock another week off my already late to start season... looking more and more like I'll be buying  some tulle, mulching with straw, and possibly even using some clear plastic.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 8/15/2016, 8:48 am

Also I guess I failed at rotating the image haha
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/15/2016, 8:53 am

Robbomb116 wrote:Also I guess I failed at rotating the image haha
It's ok. Vertical gardening is awesome Cool
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/15/2016, 11:17 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Robbomb116 wrote:Also I guess I failed at rotating the image haha
It's ok. Vertical gardening is awesome Cool

lol!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next