Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG not giving the results I expected Toplef10SFG not giving the results I expected 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG not giving the results I expected I22gcj10SFG not giving the results I expected 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG not giving the results I expected Toplef10SFG not giving the results I expected 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG not giving the results I expected I22gcj10SFG not giving the results I expected 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG not giving the results I expected

+4
plantoid
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
emkuwata
8 posters

Go down

SFG not giving the results I expected Empty SFG not giving the results I expected

Post  emkuwata 11/22/2016, 9:34 pm

I was looking forward to tender greens and tomatoes this year with my new SFG.  Instead, I got tough greens and hard skinned tomatoes.  The arugula growing straight out of our clay ground is giving me more tender greens and the in-ground tomatoes are still going strong in November.  What can I do to get more tender greens?  I'd like to start lettuce, mizuna, and arugula soon.
emkuwata
emkuwata

Back to top Go down

SFG not giving the results I expected Empty Re: SFG not giving the results I expected

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/22/2016, 10:50 pm

Hi emkuwata! Welcome to the forum! (I see this is your first post.) glad you\'re here

I'd never heard of this problem before, but I found this article:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/tough-thick-tomato-skins.htm
(All my tomatoes this year were thin-skinned varieties -- prone to cracking.)

Of the causes given, my guess for your problem, based on your contrasting with in-clay, is under-watering. In my experience my MM needs much more frequent watering than my moderate clay-content dirt. Mulching can help, but it's not a complete substitute for frequent watering. During the summer (I'm in central Pennsylvania) I was watering my tomatoes daily, and I suspect they might have done better with a little more water than that.

Relevantly, I was over-watering my eggplants for the first half of my growing season this year because I was watering the same amount as I had been last year (my first year growing them) -- but last year they were in MM, and this year they were in the dirt section of my garden.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

SFG not giving the results I expected Empty Re: SFG not giving the results I expected

Post  trolleydriver 11/23/2016, 8:16 am

Welcome to the forum emkuwata from Ottawa, Canada. 
SFG not giving the results I expected WelcomeGroup
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/23/2016, 8:02 pm

Hi emkuwata ,

Welcome to the site .
Do you have a copy of the book shown in my strap lines ?
If so have you made your beds as per the suggestions given in it ?

FIL (father-in-law) used to live just out of Niagara Falls he introduced me to Mel's way of doing square foot gardening in the early 1990's ,  but in those days it was in  enriched mother earth soil beds.

After a lot more research and analytical thinking Mel  reasoned there was a better way .

Now they are a soil less growth medium that we make ourselves  ( as per the book ) .  They are in my opinion far better than mother earth beds for the vast majority of crops .

FIL's sq ft beds never made the change over for he died before he could do it  ( 81 yrs or so old )  But his beds were nigh on pure home made composted plant matter in any case.

It's the high fibre content of the home made compost that retains a lot of water & nutrients that feeds the plants for good crops .

He used to water his beds as the sun went down to give the water chance to soak deep down .

One of the years  we visited them  the spring cold was minus 44 oC and when we went the high summer crept to just over plus 44 oC ..
Yet he had some amazing crops even in that heat .

Don't give up on your ANSFG  beds , use this winter to read all the important threads that our Mods have thoughtfully indexed .

They are found on the home page , in the bobbly light peach drop down that is shown on the left hand edge of the home page  screen .

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/24/2016, 3:27 am

Emkuwata, Welcome to the Forum from Fresno, CA! glad you\'re here I'm sorry your SFG did not turn out the results expected. We will be happy to help "diagnose" what may have been the problem if you can describe your journey so far. Exactly how did you make the Mel's Mix (what ratios, what composts, did you fluff the peat moss before measuring?) is a good place to start. Very Happy

PS You are not alone in having a less-than-stellar first year. Embarassed I made the MM wrong and spent that first summer trying to correct it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/24/2016, 8:22 am

Hi Emkuwata. Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

I also made the MM incorrectly and have had to fix it... So more details will help us help you figure out what's going on.

Glad you're here!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/24/2016, 8:33 am

One thing that some of us get wrong when make the MM is the ratio of peat, compost, vermiculite. Here are some thoughts:

- Make sure the peat moss is fluffed up before using it.
- Measure all three components by volume ... I use a 5 gallon bucket as my "measuring cup".
- Use 5 different types (e.g., cow manure, shrimp, etc.) of compost not 5 different makes of manure.
- Some store bought compost has a considerable amount of peat moss included. Try to find out how much peat moss is in the compost and then use less pure peat moss in the MM.

Just some simple thoughts.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/25/2016, 9:31 pm

Hi Emkuwata!  

Have you read Mel Bartholmews book,  All New Square Foot Gardening?  It will help fix a lot of problems, but cultivar choice and siting is key, and every situation is different!  

Where are your beds located?  What is your climate?  What cultivars did you grow?  We would love to help you!  

This method is the easiest, most productive, intensive growing method ever!  

Tell us more!,,
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

Hi Emkumata!

Welcome to SFG and the SoCal regional forum!  I'm sorry you're having problems and yet, thrilled you're growing tomatoes in ground!

I'm down in Orange County closer to Disneyland so my weather is a bit warmer than yours.    If you're in Venice proper or anywhere over there closer to the beach you're in Sunset zone 24.  The infamous Sunset zone 24 rumored to be the no-tomatoes or melons zone because of the maritime influence.  For me, that was completely right.

I've been blundering my way through my raised bed SFGs now for six years.  I've made plenty of mistakes and learned a lot from them.

How can I help?  

For your tomato problems, typically three things drive toughness either together or separately sun scald, too little water, too high heat.  (That almost sounds like our summer weather description doesn't it. ;-)

I still struggle keeping my raised bed properly watered.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down