Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost for Mel's Mix Toplef10Compost for Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost for Mel's Mix I22gcj10Compost for Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost for Mel's Mix Toplef10Compost for Mel's Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost for Mel's Mix I22gcj10Compost for Mel's Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost for Mel's Mix

+7
donnainzone5
ralitaco
RoOsTeR
CitizenKate
MrBooker
yolos
wombocombo626
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Compost for Mel's Mix Empty Compost for Mel's Mix

Post  wombocombo626 2/25/2017, 1:18 am

Hi, I live in the Los angeles area, the san gabriel valley area to be specific. I am currently getting the things needed for mel's mix and I was able to find some course vermiculite and peat moss today. However, I am now looking for the 5 types of compost needed. I asked the guy at he place where I got my vermiculite and peat moss if they had different types of compost, but he told me he only had one so I didn't get any from there. I was looking at the home depot site and they have this and this steer manure. Would those work? I am also a bit confused about the steer manure. Is that considered compost? Anyone know of any other places to get compost around the east los angeles area? Thanks!
wombocombo626
wombocombo626

Back to top Go down

Compost for Mel's Mix Empty Re: Compost for Mel's Mix

Post  yolos 2/25/2017, 2:25 am

I don't know about the Natures Care compost.  But I bought Steer Compost before (not this brand) and it was the worst compost I have ever bought.  I don't know if you have a Lowe's nearby, but they usually have better compost than Home Depot.  Here are two examples:

The Black Kow is my favorite:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Black-Kow-50-lb-Organic-Manure/304733

Another one is Mushroom Compost:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Black-Velvet-40-lb-Organic-Compost/3082893

The local Lowe's has a few other types but they are not listed in the online site.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/25/2017, 3:50 am

What ever you buy, check the ingredients.  You want just compost, not sand, peat moss, perlite or other fillers.

Nature's Care compost: read in ingredients.  If it has uncomposted wood, screen with 1/4" hardware cloth/metal mesh.  See manure compost below.
Veggie-based compost:  Ecoscraps Compost, or Whole Foods veggie-based compost.
Manure compost:  Again, read the label.  I have found that there are a lot of uncomposted wood chips in them, so I screen with 1/4" hardware cloth/mesh screen.  Also have found rocks and bottle caps!  Just screen.
City/County green-waste compost: a crap shoot
Mushroom compost:  no more than 1/5 of the blended compost

More expensive and used in smaller volume:  kelp meal, crab meal, worm castings

Photos of small and large screens. In the beginning, I used wood chips in my homemade compost (never again) and had to sift it out! I still sift chicken or steer manure if I have to use it when I run out of my compost. I have used some City green waste compost,but again, I sifted it.
Compost for Mel's Mix Compos33
Compost for Mel's Mix Compos32

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/25/2017, 5:11 am

yolos wrote:I don't know about the Natures Care compost.  But I bought Steer Compost before (not this brand) and it was the worst compost I have ever bought.  I don't know if you have a Lowe's nearby, but they usually have better compost than Home Depot.  Here are two examples:

The Black Kow is my favorite:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Black-Kow-50-lb-Organic-Manure/304733

Another one is Mushroom Compost:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Black-Velvet-40-lb-Organic-Compost/3082893

The local Lowe's has a few other types but they are not listed in the online site.
I have never been able to find Mushroom compost at my local Lowe's. I just checked online and they have 188 bags of it this year. I'll be there when they open this morning. Thanks Yolos.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/25/2017, 10:04 am

Around here, the local nurseries and garden centers carry a wider variety and better brands of compost products. The cow manure compost I got was pretty much pure composted cow manure, and had a nice fine texture. They also carry a brand called Purple Cow, which I've used on occasion - along with a lot of other stuff, of course - and my plants have done very well in mixes that included it. It's a bit pricey, though, which is why I don't use more of it.

We're also very fortunate to have a university that has herds of cattle and horses, and are all too happy to give away their composted manure, so that's becoming my main source of manure compost. You can't get any more "pure" than that! If you don't have the aggie-U thing going on in your town, check your local craigslist.org to see if any local ranchers are offering cow or horse manure to the public.

The "cow manure" compost I got at Menards was labeled as "containing" cow manure and "organic" compost, whatever that means. Of course, you don't get to know how much of each, but when I opened the bag, I found a bunch of sticks and other matter that was not fully composted. I would say it was mostly the "other". I was not impressed.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/25/2017, 11:03 am

CitizenKate wrote:Around here, the local nurseries and garden centers carry a wider variety and better brands of compost products.  The cow manure compost I got was pretty much pure composted cow manure, and had a nice fine texture.  They also carry a brand called Purple Cow, which I've used on occasion - along with a lot of other stuff, of course - and my plants have done very well in mixes that included it.  It's a bit pricey, though, which is why I don't use more of it.

We're also very fortunate to have a university that has herds of cattle and horses, and are all too happy to give away their composted manure, so that's becoming my main source of manure compost.  You can't get any more "pure" than that!  If you don't have the aggie-U thing going on in your town, check your local craigslist.org to see if any local ranchers are offering cow or horse manure to the public.

The "cow manure" compost I got at Menards was labeled as "containing" cow manure and "organic" compost, whatever that means.  Of course, you don't get to know how much of each, but when I opened the bag, I found a bunch of sticks and other matter that was not fully composted.  I would say it was mostly the "other".  I was not impressed.
CK. We live in a farming community and while riding the countryside a few weeks ago, I found three different places within 5 miles of me giving away horse poop.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/25/2017, 11:14 am

MrBooker wrote:
CitizenKate wrote:Around here, the local nurseries and garden centers carry a wider variety and better brands of compost products.  The cow manure compost I got was pretty much pure composted cow manure, and had a nice fine texture.  They also carry a brand called Purple Cow, which I've used on occasion - along with a lot of other stuff, of course - and my plants have done very well in mixes that included it.  It's a bit pricey, though, which is why I don't use more of it.

We're also very fortunate to have a university that has herds of cattle and horses, and are all too happy to give away their composted manure, so that's becoming my main source of manure compost.  You can't get any more "pure" than that!  If you don't have the aggie-U thing going on in your town, check your local craigslist.org to see if any local ranchers are offering cow or horse manure to the public.

The "cow manure" compost I got at Menards was labeled as "containing" cow manure and "organic" compost, whatever that means.  Of course, you don't get to know how much of each, but when I opened the bag, I found a bunch of sticks and other matter that was not fully composted.  I would say it was mostly the "other".  I was not impressed.
CK. We live in a farming community and while riding the countryside a few weeks ago, I found three different places within 5 miles of me giving away horse poop.

If using horse manure, make sure and hot compost. Horses pass weed and grass seed that will grow in your sfg beds.

Compost for Mel's Mix Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 2/25/2017, 11:23 am

WomboCombo, finding the 5 sources of compost was the hardest thing for me too. (Maybe we need a compost database like the one for vermiculite  Very Happy )

I used Black Kow, Mushroom & Black Hen from Lowe's in my first beds. I have been able to find some others and have started making my own, although not lately. A local company sold leaf compost but it ended up being a lot of twigs, rocks, cigarette butts, etc.
With that said, I agree with Sanderson, you should screen your compost regardless of where you get it. I was shocked at how many rocks and trash were in mine. Of course the key to successfully screening is to use a dry material.

There are lots of threads on compost so do a search and read, read, read.
If you can't find 5 sources, don't fret, just use what you can and be on the lookout throughout the season. Remember, the peat moss and vermiculite will remain fairly constant. The compost will breakdown and need to be replenished every time you pull a plant and re-plant, so if you only found 3 to start, but a month later you find another, you can add that into the mix for your backfilling.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/25/2017, 11:45 am

I think that Nature's Care is a Miracle Gro product.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/25/2017, 12:04 pm

I just went to Lowe's and bought 8 bags of mushroom compost and 2 bags of stay green.
My Lowe's has never had mushroom compost until this year. At least, that I could find.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  wombocombo626 2/25/2017, 12:29 pm

I checked the Lowe's website and they don't seem to have any of the black cow or mushroom compost anywhere around my area. I will probably visit some of the local nurseries around my area and see if have different types of compost.

Also I am a bit confused about compost. When I asked the gentleman who sold me the vermiculite yesterday if they carried compost he told me he does and he only has one type and he showed me. I asked what type of compost it was and he seemed kind of confused so I asked if there was cow manure in it he told me I would have to add it in myself. Now I am wondering what type of compost he might have been carrying.
wombocombo626
wombocombo626

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/25/2017, 1:28 pm

Best way to ensure you're getting quality compost...compost your own Very Happy

Compost for Mel's Mix Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/25/2017, 4:10 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:I think that Nature's Care is a Miracle Gro product.
Yes, but I think they are trying to get their share of "Organic."

Don't forget Home Depot. I looked on Craig's List for East LA (?) listings. The first got my heart beating!

South Pasadena, San Gabriel - whole shebang plus worm bin! https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/6012165474.html

Fully composted chicken manure: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/6018321145.html

Horse manure with wood shavings. Maybe screen out the remaining wood shavings. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/grd/6019107190.html

Worming castings, Orange County: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/grd/6008333324.html

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/26/2017, 1:10 am

MrBooker wrote:
Ha! Who knew such a thing could be so thrilling? cheers
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/26/2017, 6:16 am

sanderson wrote:

Don't forget Home Depot.  I looked on Craig's List for East LA (?) listings.  The first got my heart beating!

South Pasadena, San Gabriel - whole shebang plus worm bin!  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/6012165474.html

Fully composted chicken manure:  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/6018321145.html

Horse manure with wood shavings.  Maybe screen out the remaining wood shavings.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/grd/6019107190.html

Worming castings, Orange County:  https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/grd/6008333324.html
I found this "Rabbit poop" on Craigslist. This guy lives 50 miles from me. I'm planning on going down their on Wed and get a few 50 lb bags.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/5988937385.html
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 2/26/2017, 5:16 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
MrBooker wrote:
Ha!  Who knew such a thing could be so thrilling?  cheers
+1
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 2/26/2017, 5:18 pm

One thing I ran into with the mushroom compost was that mushrooms started popping up in my beds. You may want to be careful with the amount you use in your mix.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/26/2017, 5:54 pm

ralitaco wrote:One thing I ran into with the mushroom compost was that mushrooms started popping up in my beds. You may want to be careful with the amount you use in your mix.
I HOPE I see mushrooms in my garden. I'll eet'em up....  Very Happy
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/26/2017, 7:42 pm

MrBooker wrote:
ralitaco wrote:One thing I ran into with the mushroom compost was that mushrooms started popping up in my beds. You may want to be careful with the amount you use in your mix.
I HOPE I see mushrooms in my garden. I'll eet'em up....  Very Happy
They may not be edible mushrooms. Don't eat them without being very sure what kind they are.

I've used mushroom compost in equal proportions with the other types of compost. I get a few little mushrooms coming up, but they haven't caused any problems that I can tell.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/26/2017, 7:44 pm

sanderson wrote:I looked on Craig's List for East LA (?) listings.  The first got my heart beating!

South Pasadena, San Gabriel - whole shebang plus worm bin!  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/6012165474.html

Fully composted chicken manure:  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/6018321145.html

Horse manure with wood shavings.  Maybe screen out the remaining wood shavings.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/grd/6019107190.html

Worming castings, Orange County:  https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/grd/6008333324.html
Yeah, huh? cheers
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  wombocombo626 2/26/2017, 8:27 pm

So I visited the nursery today and I was able to get some EB stone chicken and steer manure and also a bag of worm castings. While I was at the nursery I also saw boxes of bloodmeal, bone meal, bat guano, and lobster meal. Do those count as compost or are they more of a fertilizer?

While I had the 3 bags of compost in my car, I noticed a faint manure smell. Does that mean it is not fully composted? Would it be safe to use in my mix?

I also have a friend that has bunnies and they use this in their cage. Would I be able to put that stuff directly in my mix or would I need to furthur compost it before it is safe to put in my mix?
wombocombo626
wombocombo626

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/27/2017, 3:55 am

The bunny litter is recycled newspaper - a wood product. It needs composting.

Blood meal, bone meal, bat guano, and lobster meal are more like fertilizers to be used if needed. However, I do add crab meal and kelp meal to my beds for trace minerals. About a teaspoon per square. After 3 years, I had my Mel's Mix tested and it was low in trace minerals.

I find bagged chicken or steer manures to still have mild manure odors. But, nothing like the raw, straight from the source smell!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  wombocombo626 2/27/2017, 4:18 am

I guess it wouldn't hurt to add a teaspoon to each of my square too.

I went to move the bags of manure earlier and the bags were quite warm even with the cold temperatures outside.
wombocombo626
wombocombo626

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/27/2017, 8:05 am

sanderson wrote:

Don't forget Home Depot.  I looked on Craig's List for East LA (?) listings.  The first got my heart beating!

Thanks for this thought! Scored some free rabbit manure off CL, but it was a bit of a drive. I may do a web search for rabbitries that are closer to me...
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasingAnnie 4/27/2017, 12:11 am

I've had terrible luck with Nature's Care. It was donated by Miracle Gro to our community garden, so it's difficult to complain about something that's free... but we have not been happy gardeners.
ChasingAnnie
ChasingAnnie

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next