Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England Jan 2018 Toplef10New England Jan 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England Jan 2018 I22gcj10New England Jan 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England Jan 2018 Toplef10New England Jan 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England Jan 2018 I22gcj10New England Jan 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England Jan 2018

+4
hammock gal
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
quiltbea
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New England Jan 2018 Empty New England Jan 2018

Post  quiltbea 1/1/2018, 9:50 am

Hey guys, its the New Year.  Wishing you a wonderful one.
New England Jan 2018 New_ye10
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

New England Jan 2018 Empty Re: New England Jan 2018

Post  quiltbea 1/2/2018, 7:38 am

I've already rec'd a few seed catalogs and you know it makes me crazy since I don't have a garden any longer. I've been drooling over some of the seeds I'd love to start this year.
Have a good time my friends, getting your seeds started in the next month or so.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/2/2018, 3:25 pm

Awww....thanks, QB!

Heads up, New England...
Job Lot has 2018 Burpee seeds for 60% off for insiders today and tomorrow. If you're not an insider, you can sign on at check out. All the deals you get as an insider are worth it.
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/3/2018, 7:43 pm

I am a few weeks behind you guys...but we are buried in snow and freezing temps so just catalog dreaming at the present!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 1/4/2018, 10:51 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Awww....thanks, QB!

Heads up, New England...
Job Lot has 2018 Burpee seeds for 60% off for insiders today and tomorrow.  If you're not an insider, you can sign on at check out.  All the deals you get as an insider are worth it.
What a Face

Hey neighbor! Thinking of you today with the wind howling and the snow flying. I know you're supposed to get the worst of it out there on the Cape, and I'm hoping you're safe and sound...and warm. I've got the snowblower gassed up, and the kerosene heater ready to go in case we lose power. They say if that happens, not to expect it back any time soon, because they can't safely have the guys out in the bucket trucks in this wind. Ahh, New England winters!  lots o lots o lots o
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 1/4/2018, 3:36 pm

We're not supposed to get it as bad as you two, and Maine is likely to get throttled. I am going to wait another hour before I snow blow, hopefully it will only leave a inch or so, just in case we get any sleet or freezing rain before the big chill sets in. Please stay safe and stay off the roads, and keep the fires burning.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 1/4/2018, 5:04 pm

bigdogrock wrote:We're not supposed to get it as bad as you two, and Maine is likely to get throttled. I am going to wait another hour before I snow blow, hopefully it will only leave a inch or so, just in case we get any sleet or freezing rain before the big chill sets in. Please stay safe and stay off the roads, and keep the fires burning.

Glad you're not going to get hammered. Be sure to bundle up before you go out there. I just finished one pass of the snowblower. I like to get to the pile the snow plow leaves at the end of the driveway as soon as possible before it freezes solid and I can't move it. There was about fourteen inches or so in the driveway, but it's impossible to tell if that much has fallen, or if it's just been blown there, because the wind is so wicked. I snowblow with a hat pulled down to my eyebrows, a scarf tied around my face, up to my eyes, and my hood over all of that, and I still had so much snow blowing into my eyes that it made things really difficult. I'm inside now, drinking some hot chai, and trying to decide if I should make the next pass later, when the snow stops, or wait til morning. Brrrrrr!!!!! I shouldn't complain too much, I remember the years before I had a snow blower and I used to be out there for hours, shoveling away. I'm getting too old for this! Maybe I should hitch the chihuahua and the cat up to the snowblower, and let them pull me around. LOL                                                                            New England Jan 2018 90640
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 1/4/2018, 8:32 pm

Looks like the snow has stopped. We accumulated 13" (33cm) and the wind is picking up, we have three foot snow drifts (a little under a meter), and the temperature is 15°F (9.4°C).
 Yup, gonna be a chilly one tonight.
Now if we can make it through without losing power I will be extremely happy.

GBea, please post something so we know you are OK.

HGal and CapeC, how ya doin'?
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/4/2018, 10:59 pm

Hey guys!  Stay safe, and as warm as modern clothing will allow!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 1/5/2018, 8:01 am

bigdogrock wrote:Looks like the snow has stopped. We accumulated 13" (33cm) and the wind is picking up, we have three foot snow drifts (a little under a meter), and the temperature is 15°F (9.4°C).
 Yup, gonna be a chilly one tonight.
Now if we can make it through without losing power I will be extremely happy.

GBea, please post something so we know you are OK.

HGal and CapeC, how ya doin'?

Sounds like you fared about as well as we did here. I was guessing at 14 inches in the driveway, but it's hard to tell how much we got overall, because there was so much blowing and drifting. After my first round with the snowblower, I decided to wait to finish up until today. This morning the sun is shining, and although it's only 10 degrees, somehow it won't feel as bad as snowblowing in the dark and the howling wind. I'm glad that neither of us lost power, that would have been a whole other kind of awful.

Qbea in southwestern Maine should have fared better than along the coast, with this being a nor'easter. Hopefully, that was true. The Cape caught it really hard, with lots of flooding, so hopefully CCodess is high and dry. Sending good thoughts to them. BIG hug
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 1/5/2018, 6:52 pm

I'm still waitin' for them both to post.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/6/2018, 10:27 am

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.  No probs.  We had lots of snow but no power outages.  Last count was 15" in our back garden.  The river flows pretty fast but except for the center where it flows fastest, it was frozen over.
New England Jan 2018 100_2810

This below is our garden path just after being snow blowed.
New England Jan 2018 100_2811

They had less snow along the coast.  Only about 10" in the big city of Portland with inland getting the brunt of the snowstorm.
Dropping temps this weekend will put us in another deep freeze.  Gosh, those seed catalogs are looking good.
The photos are really slow today to post. Check back later.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/6/2018, 12:51 pm

QuiltBea wrote:The photos are really slow today to post.

I thought it was just me.  Sad 

Doesn't look like you'll be doing much gardening today, QB.  lots o Your deep-freeze for this weekend made the national news. Hope you can stay home and not go out in it. I really feel bad for first responders in these conditions. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/6/2018, 1:10 pm

countrynaturals wrote:

I thought it was just me.  Sad ...
I noticed that starting yesterday. As well I am not seeing the weather stickers at the bottom of posts. I checked the Forumotion (where the forum is hosted) Support page and there are a couple of other forums experiencing slow photo loads.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/6/2018, 2:39 pm

QB, Your place has the nicest views.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/6/2018, 2:40 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:

I thought it was just me.  Sad ...
I noticed that starting yesterday. As well I am not seeing the weather stickers at the bottom of posts. I checked the Forumotion (where the forum is hosted) Support page and there are a couple of other forums experiencing slow photo loads.
Seems to be OK now. Photos pop up quickly and the weather stickers are showing as well. I noticed earlier when I went directly (not through this forum) to the Weather Underground stickers page, none of the stickers were being displayed. They are now so I'm wondering if the problem was caused by Weather Underground.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/6/2018, 4:03 pm

I'm thinking this blasted cold weather is causing some kind of disruption in the computer airwaves or whatever they are called. I've been noticing slow motion on some other forums and even my own email account. My Solitaire game even took lots of time to upload and that's usually a quick thing.
Whatever it is, I'll blame it on the weather.
We'll see a few warmer days this week so that's a plus.
Stay warm everyone. Make your lists of seeds from those new catalogs coming in the mail.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 1/7/2018, 8:35 am

quiltbea wrote:I'm thinking this blasted cold weather is causing some kind of disruption in the computer airwaves or whatever they are called.  I've been noticing slow motion on some other forums and even my own email account.  My Solitaire game even took lots of time to upload and that's usually a quick thing.
Whatever it is, I'll blame it on the weather.
We'll see a few warmer days this week so that's a plus.
Stay warm everyone.  Make your lists of seeds from those new catalogs coming in the mail.  

The only good thing I can think of resulting from this extended period of wickedly cold weather, is that it will hopefully take care of some of those darn ticks we had such a problem with last year. I heard it blamed on the fact that we had a milder than normal winter last year. I hate the idea of the iguanas freezing and falling out of the trees in Florida, but I have to admit, the idea of the same thing happening to those dastardly ticks, brings a smile to my face, and warms my heart.

But a warm heart doesn't do anything for the rest of me...Canada, close your back door!!! It's -13 this morning. We like it when you leave the door open in summer, but in winter you can keep all the cold air up there to yourselves to freeze all the outdoor hockey rinks and keep the Molson's cold without a cooler. Show us some mercy, eh? New England Jan 2018 3170584802
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/12/2018, 2:46 pm

Oh my goodness...has it been that long since I posted in the NE thread? Sorry guys...I missed the call to post after that storm. Cape got 1" snow, lots of rain. Then it all froze so lots of ice. And I must say that that deep freeze lasted WAY too long!!! But I didn't lose power! What a Face

HG, happy hi ...so good to see you around again! Glad all is well out there with you, QB and Big Dog.

We've had weather over freezing this week and so I just tried to pull some SFG carrots that I'd piled high with pine needles. Not a chance. The first half inch of MM is thawed and that's it...rock solid underneath. Oh well, store bought it is. We get so spoiled with our fresh produce... Wink
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 1/13/2018, 5:50 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Oh my goodness...has it been that long since I posted in the NE thread?  Sorry guys...I missed the call to post after that storm.  Cape got 1" snow, lots of rain.  Then it all froze so lots of ice.   And I must say that that deep freeze lasted WAY too long!!!  But I didn't lose power! What a Face  

HG, happy hi ...so good to see you around again!  Glad all is well out there with you, QB and Big Dog.

We've had weather over freezing this week and so I just tried to pull some SFG carrots that I'd piled high with pine needles.  Not a chance.  The first half inch of MM is thawed and that's it...rock solid underneath.   Oh well, store bought it is.  We get so spoiled with our fresh produce... Wink

Glad to hear you're OK. I know the Cape got hit hard, and I was thinking of you. I'm doing well, but friends, not so much. I've been distracted with best friend's husband passing and best friend dealing with health problems of her own. Hopefully, this will be a better year for all of us! We could sure use it, couldn't we?
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/24/2018, 7:56 am

Just checking in hoping all my gardening buddies are doing well and moving forward thru this nasty winter of snow and ice.
We had icy rain and it made the roads icy and dangerous but I don't have a car any longer so I didn't get out in it, thank goodness.
Took Penny for her early morning walk in the garden but luckily I put my ice cleats back on my boots. It was a glare of ice over a dusting of snow from the nite before. Penny skated a few times, but nothing hurt and I was safe.
Warming up days here lately but nites are still bitter. Makes for tough going on foot.
I hope many of you are starting your seeds for the season. I really miss that step in my gardening. I still get the catalogs and pick and choose a plant here and there and then remember I won't be planting any. Sad state of affairs. Maybe, just maybe, I will get myself a potted tomato or two this year since I gave away all my gardening tools; pots, extra compost, trowel, etc, etc. I see nice pots already started now and then.
Enjoy your seed starting.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2018, 2:44 pm

Ice cleats! I looked them up and they look like a safe way to walk in the snow. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/24/2018, 6:37 pm

QB, I thought you had room for some containers?  Howdy!!!  We are holding on in the freeze as well!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/24/2018, 10:54 pm

Yes, Scorpio, I DO have room for containers but my effort with those last season wasn't good at all.  I had 4 or 5 tomato plants and got very little harvest from any of them.  Even the lettuce pots were a bust.  I couldn't understand it.  I don't know if it was the location or the soil mix, but it wasn't good at all.  I was so fed up with the season that when it was over, I gave away the pots, extra bag of compost, and my garden tools.  It was easier to buy at the local farmer's market.

Last edited by quiltbea on 1/24/2018, 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2018, 11:48 pm

QB, I'm sorry it didn't work. Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator