Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 Toplef10Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 I22gcj10Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 Toplef10Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 I22gcj10Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines

+7
plantoid
sfg4uKim
kalantasgardens
junequilt
Chopper
timwardell
jamesmusslewhite
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 Empty Re: Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines

Post  jamesmusslewhite 8/6/2014, 12:07 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 61949 Hi kalantasgardens and welcome to the Forum.  

I just read in another post today that it is common to use carbonized rice hulls as a substitute for vermiculite or perlite in the Philippines to lighten the soil.  Is that something you have access to?

My neighbor comes from Dao.

The reason carbonized rice hulls work so well is that rice contains one of the highest concentrations of silica to be found in the plant world. In the area were my farm is is primarily rice fields or either coconut land. Rice hull is readily available and free for the asking. Also it is very easy to get coconut husk and shells which yields a very high quality charcoal. These two items are outstanding additives to the soils as well as in the compost piles. We strictly practice organics on our farm and carbonized rice hull and charcoal are very beneficial organic sources of nutrients.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Male Posts : 34

http://www.jamesmusslewhite.freeservers.com

Back to top Go down

Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 Empty Re: Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines

Post  walshevak 8/8/2014, 11:15 am

Hi James,

Last year I was noodling around the internet and found a blog site that you wrote.  It had pictures of you creating compost on your rooftop.  Silly me forgot to bookmark the site.  Can you post a link?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 8/8/2014, 9:39 pm

walshevak wrote:Hi James,

Last year I was noodling around the internet and found a blog site that you wrote.  It had pictures of you creating compost on your rooftop.  Silly me forgot to bookmark the site.  Can you post a link?

Kay
Yes that was a project I did to show just how easy it was to make an effective and inexpensive compost pile anywhere, even on a rooftop, which I posted in the Farm and Garden section of an expat forum site that am a Moderator and I also posted it on a Facebook Farm & Gardening group called "Philippine Farm and Garden - horticulture, aquaculture, and mariculture" on August 5, 2013. I started the Facebook group early last year to discuss this wide range of farm and fish topics as they relate to the Philippines and surrounding tropical countries.

The following links are to the forum article you referenced and to my Facebook photo album were I originally loaded the photos of the compost projects used in that article. Any member of this forum are more than welcome to view the photos and videos on my Facebook page as many relate to my farm here on Dinagat Island.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/topic/62147-rooftop-organic-compost-pile-simple-to-do-anyplace-anywhere-anytime/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4700239583809&set=a.4700238663786.2158782.1228755709&type=1&theater
(click photos with mouse and it advances to next photo- information is below photos)

I may add the article to this forum as other members may find it of interest even if they do not have access to rice hulls, as they can be easily substituted the rice hulls with grass clippings, chipped vegetation or uncomposted mulches.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 8/8/2014, 10:15 pm

walshevak wrote:Hi James,

Kay
I came across this handy little chart on the "yes" and "no" items that can either aid or hinder your compost piles so I will post it so you too can have it.

Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 1496669_225714240958567_660908225_n
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 6/29/2016, 8:01 pm

Well I certainly have not posted in a while as it has been a busy time. The projects are doing well and progressing nicely. I finally tackled a boat project of tearing down an old 34 foot calamari boat to the solid hull board and completely rebuilding the boat.
Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 13537577_10207347701950641_7000759109893798858_n
And I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. It will certainly make it much easier going to the farm and the city as well as to the small island where I will be building a lobster hatchery. We moved here to the little island three weeks ago and are busy getting settled in and trying to get everything organized. I hope to start working on establishing a vegetable/herb gardens on the grounds along with a couple of raised bed rain houses which will allow me to raise vegetables during the heavy rainy seasons.
Square Foot/ meter Gardening in the Philippines - Page 2 13533254_10207336335906497_7788204653957156852_n
So as I start work on the gardens here on the island I post photos here on the thread to share with members of the forum.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/29/2016, 8:42 pm

Hi James!  Glad you are back, looks like lots of great ground to work with space wise!  I am in Ohio, and this is my 2nd year SFGing, although I did the original version back in the day...

Can't wait to see what ou get happening!  So you have to shelter the plants from too much rain?  I would have tried that a year ago, lol

happy hi

PS: Nice boat! And I love lobster!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 6/29/2016, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Boat)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2016, 1:00 am

Yes, keep us updated!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/30/2016, 8:08 am

Hi James. Welcome back!

The boat looks great! And I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with all of that space....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 6/30/2016, 11:07 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Hi James!  Glad you are back, looks like lots of great ground to work with space wise!  I am in Ohio, and this is my 2nd year SFGing, although I did the original version back in the day...

Can't wait to see what ou get happening!  So you have to shelter the plants from too much rain?  I would have tried that a year ago, lol

happy hi

PS:  Nice boat!  And I love lobster!
We average over 144 inches of annual rain a year and it can rain from late December straight through early May some years so rain houses with raised beds are needed if you want a successful third yearly crop.

I will be starting on designing the gardens over the next couple of weeks. They will be raised beds lined with hollow blocks and incorporated into the general landscaping. At first I will simply be using a few temporary raised beds lined with coconut lumber so I can quickly get some crops in the ground but I will be continually upgrading the beds as I collect all the needed materials. I will be posting photos as it progresses. So much to do. For a lazy man I always seem to pile my plate high...  Very Happy
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 6/30/2016, 11:10 am

sanderson wrote:Yes, keep us updated!
I certainly will as I have a lot of projects to be completed over the months to come.
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesmusslewhite 6/30/2016, 11:11 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi James.  Welcome back!

The boat looks great!  And I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with all of that space....

That's easy. Gardens, gardens and more gardens... Very Happy
jamesmusslewhite
jamesmusslewhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2