Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Powdery Mildew already striking Toplef10Powdery Mildew already striking 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Powdery Mildew already striking I22gcj10Powdery Mildew already striking 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Powdery Mildew already striking Toplef10Powdery Mildew already striking 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Powdery Mildew already striking I22gcj10Powdery Mildew already striking 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Powdery Mildew already striking

+5
CapeCoddess
has55
sanderson
yolos
No_Such_Reality
9 posters

Go down

Powdery Mildew already striking Empty Powdery Mildew already striking

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/20/2018, 10:15 pm

Middle of May and i spent quite a bit of time sniping leaves off the two squashes because of PM.

I dont recall it hitting this early before.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Powdery Mildew already striking Empty Re: Powdery Mildew already striking

Post  yolos 5/20/2018, 10:21 pm

Yea, it struck my English Peas.  I don't think it is much earlier than normal.  It always strike these particular peas just as they are maturing.  I tried a concoction of Baking soda and water to try to kill it.  It worked on some of the peas but on the worst ones it did not work.  I made it a little too strong and it left brown spots on a lot of the leaves but the brown spots are better than the powdery mildew.  I cut down one group of peas today (almost completely harvested) that were the worst.  The first one that I snipped raised a cloud of white powdery stuff.  So I then wet all the pea plants that I was cutting down to keep from the white powdery stuff blowing all over the garden.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/21/2018, 2:29 am

Has anyone tried a non-fat milk solution for PM? I have used it with success when the PM is just starting.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/21/2018, 10:05 am

My experience with most of the solutions is they delay if the weather cooperates. Ill give it a try though .Whats the non fat milk mix?
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/21/2018, 11:09 am

No_Such_Reality wrote:My experience with most of the solutions is they delay if the weather cooperates. Ill give it a try though .Whats the non fat milk mix?
I would also like to know.  I went to the store and purchased non-fat milk then came home and looked on the internet for the exact ingredients.  One recipe said 1 part milk to 9 parts water.  Another said 1 part milk to 1 part water.  That is why I used the baking soda recipe.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/22/2018, 2:59 am

I started with 1:9 (10%). Then I changed to 1:1 (50%). Probably will try 1:3 (25%) this year.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/22/2018, 12:44 pm

from dirt doctor when I had powedery mildew on my comfrey ealier this spring.
Spray the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water or mix the peroxide into your Garret Juice spray. 

from his website:
Crape Myrtle Powdery Mildew
Powdery mildew attacks crepe myrtles and other plants especially during humid weather. The control is to apply horticultural cornmeal to the root zone at 2 lbs. per 100 sq ft and spray the foliage with Garrett Juice plus either potassium bicarbonate or cornmeal juice. Cornmeal juice is made by soaking a pound of cornmeal in 5 gallons of water. Put the cornmeal in a nylon bag made from old panty hose or whatever to keep the larger particles from getting in the water. This cornmeal juice can be used alone or mixed with compost tea or Garrett Juice.  

Potassium bicarbonate Fungicide

Mix 4 teaspoons (about 1 rounded tablespoon) of potassium bicarbonate into one gallon of water. Spray lightly on foliage of plants afflicted with black spot, powdery mildew, brown patch and other fungal diseases.  Potassium bicarbonate is a good substitute for baking soda. There are commercial EPA registered as well as generic products available.

Baking Soda Fungicide
Mix 4 teaspoons (about 1 rounded tablespoon) of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of horticultural oil into one gallon of water. Spray lightly on foliage of plants afflicted with black spot, powdery mildew, brown patch and other fungal diseases. Avoid over-using or pouring on the soil. Potassium bicarbonate is a good substitute for baking soda. Citrus oil and molasses can be used instead of horticultural oil.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/22/2018, 4:32 pm

I use powdered milk, but I don't measure it, just dump some in with the water until it looks like watery milk.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/23/2018, 1:50 am

CapeCoddess wrote:I use powdered milk, but I don't measure it, just dump some in with the water until it looks like watery milk.
I forgot about non-fat powdered milk! I have some and will try it, hopefully tomorrow.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/25/2018, 10:09 am

sanderson wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:I use powdered milk, but I don't measure it, just dump some in with the water until it looks like watery milk.
I forgot about non-fat powdered milk!  I have some and will try it, hopefully tomorrow.
That’s a great idea...so much cheaper.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/3/2018, 11:33 pm

WARNING - Reaction to Powdery Mildew sends me to the ER.

I was out today (Sunday) pulling my pea vines that were covered in powdery mildew.  While I was pulling the vines out, I noticed a soreness in one eye.  About 2 hours later my left eye no longer had any white showing.  It was blood red.  I panicked a little and went to the ER because I have a heart condition and have had a stroke previously.  I did not know if the red was a result of burst blood vessels. 

The doctor said I had some reaction to the powdery mildew.  Could have been an allergic reaction or bacterial.  While I was pulling the vines, the weather was hot and humid and I was sweating.  I must have rubbed my eye with powdery mildew all over my hand.  He said next time to wear gloves.  I just might also wear goggles to keep me from rubbing my eyes with a powdery mildew covered glove.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2018, 12:33 am

Yikes!!!  What a Face Are you feeling better?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow 6/4/2018, 10:51 am

How scary! Thanks so much for the alert - I am allergic to pretty much everything, will be sure to heed your warning.

I hope you're doing better. How did the doctor treat it? Any drops or ointment or anything?
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/4/2018, 12:50 pm

The ER Doctor gave me eye drops and a prescription for more eye drops.  The white of the eye was 100% red last night and now it is about 75% red so the medicine is helping.  I am supposed to make an appt with an ophthalmologist for tomorrow to check it out.  He kept using the term allergent but the paperwork says bacterial conjunctivitis.  "Acute conjunctivitis of left eye, unspecified acute conjunctivitis type".   My prescriptions were acetaminophen-codeine (I am just using regular Tylenol) and Gentamicin (Garamycin).
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/6/2018, 12:00 pm

yolos wrote:WARNING - Reaction to Powdery Mildew sends me to the ER.

I was out today (Sunday) pulling my pea vines that were covered in powdery mildew.  While I was pulling the vines out, I noticed a soreness in one eye.  About 2 hours later my left eye no longer had any white showing.  It was blood red.  I panicked a little and went to the ER because I have a heart condition and have had a stroke previously.  I did not know if the red was a result of burst blood vessels. 

The doctor said I had some reaction to the powdery mildew.  Could have been an allergic reaction or bacterial.  While I was pulling the vines, the weather was hot and humid and I was sweating.  I must have rubbed my eye with powdery mildew all over my hand.  He said next time to wear gloves.  I just might also wear goggles to keep me from rubbing my eyes with a powdery mildew covered glove.

yolos wrote:The ER Doctor gave me eye drops and a prescription for more eye drops.  The white of the eye was 100% red last night and now it is about 75% red so the medicine is helping.  I am supposed to make an appt with an ophthalmologist for tomorrow to check it out.  He kept using the term allergent but the paperwork says bacterial conjunctivitis.  "Acute conjunctivitis of left eye, unspecified acute conjunctivitis type".   My prescriptions were acetaminophen-codeine (I am just using regular Tylenol) and Gentamicin (Garamycin).

Went to the ophthalmologist this morning.  Nope, it was just a burst blood vessel.  I asked him why it burst.  He said they do not know but it had nothing to do with the powdery mildew or my blood thinners.  Stop using the eye drops the ER doctor prescribed and just wait about 10 days and it will be all cleared up.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/6/2018, 12:19 pm

Yolos wrote:Went to the ophthalmologist this morning.  Nope, it was just a burst blood vessel.  I asked him why it burst.  He said they do not know but it had nothing to do with the powdery mildew or my blood thinners.  Stop using the eye drops the ER doctor prescribed and just wait about 10 days and it will be all cleared up.

That's good news. Avoiding powdery mildew for the rest of your life could have been a real challenge.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter 6/6/2018, 8:50 pm

First, I'm glad that your eye will be OK and that it wasn't an allergic reaction.  Second, thank you for sharing your experience.  I'm kind of a newbie and didn't realize it was powdery mildew on my English peas.  I have asthma so, after reading about your experience, I'll know to wet the leaves before pulling the plants.  Hope you recover quickly!

Karen
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down