Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018

+2
sanderson
Kelejan
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Empty CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018

Post  Kelejan 6/1/2018, 7:03 am

Another three weeks and we will reach the Longest Day. Sad

It seems I have hardly started my gardening this year but I do know that compared with last year I am ahead.

Here British Columbia generally the rainfall has been less that two mil, the driest on record.  Luckily I do know that although it has been dry here in B.C, Southern Interior, we have had some good downpours that have soaked the ground.

Naturally, our local "Sunfest" celebration will start out with a 60% rain forecast just in time for all the vendors to set up their stalls in our Downtown Park for today's afternoon start, but tomorrow for the actual Parade it shows a blazing sun. The Sunday session that mostly occurs in our local Pass Creek Park outside our city is alas doomed to rain. Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday is for the community but Sunday is more for the small  children.

With the lack of rain in May, it does not look good for the Fire Season once more.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018

Post  Kelejan 6/1/2018, 7:38 am

Yesterday I also managed to clear the 4 x 4 strawberry bed that had been overwhelmed with greenery. I discovered I still had a complete beds of plants just beginning to make the small strawberries.  It always amazes me that these tiny green berries turn into large luscious strawberries in a couple of days.  Looking forward to my first homegrown strawberries of the season.  They taste so much better than the store-bought ones, just like everything else we grow ourselves.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018

Post  sanderson 6/2/2018, 1:14 am

Strawberries!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/3/2018, 2:54 am

glad you\'re here to Ali (Ali's Garden) who lives in GTA Ontario.  For our non-Canadian readers GTA stand for  "Greater Toronto Area", an amalgamation of several cities in that area that makes it the largest city in Canada. rock on
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/3/2018, 11:08 pm

Kelejan wrote:Yesterday I also managed to clear the 4 x 4 strawberry bed that had been overwhelmed with greenery. I discovered I still had a complete beds of plants just beginning to make the small strawberries.  It always amazes me that these tiny green berries turn into large luscious strawberries in a couple of days.  Looking forward to my first homegrown strawberries of the season.  They taste so much better than the store-bought ones, just like everything else we grow ourselves.
I have my first ever strawberry bed, KJ.  I had built a 3x7’ bed, thinking it would be good as far as reaching in to harvest.  Planted the whole thing with tomatoes last year. (Yeah, too many, different story) and the straw that I used as mulch?  Full of grass seed!

Long story, I converted the bed to a strawberry bed.  I have 3 or 4 types in there.  Can’t wait to have them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/5/2018, 5:15 pm

As the sun is shining today and is likely to be rain-free for a while, I managed to get out the bags of grass clippings I received from my friend and spread them on my lawn to dry. I will go out several times and turn them over like hay then stow them away until the fall when I can add them to my collection of fall leaves or add to my compost when required.

I had left it too long due to some rain we had, and I must say it ponged somewhat.  Luckily for my neighbours, the wind was blowing away from them so I am hopeful I can get the grass dry before the wind changes direction.

When cutting my own lawn I leave the mulched clippings there and in the four years since I started that the grass has improved enormously and it saves fertilizer and having to rake up the clippings and dispose of them and also cuts down the watering to nothing.  I also cut my grass long as it survives the hot summers very well, only going golden if the summer is very dry like last year. 

I am wondering how  other people who water their lawns (plus the roadside) nearly every day, will find the amount of their water rates this year as it is the first year of metered water.  I know myself that I only use a quarter of the average household and that I will not get any reduction in cost but I do know that I can water my veggies as much as is needed without incurring any extra cost.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/9/2018, 2:48 pm

It seems that the Canadian Regional thread is not doing very well.

Of the six postings, 4 were mine, and the other two were from California and Ohio.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/9/2018, 4:21 pm

Canadian friends - support your Regional Forum!! Kelejan does an outstanding job of writing newsy posts and I love to read them. :canada:

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 6/11/2018, 7:00 am

Waiting for the final frost so I can actually put plants in the ground/outside.

I'm also waiting on my foot not to be in so much pain that I can go out and fully clean out my gardens in preparation for things to go in the ground.

I'm thinking about making a tarped screen to go on top of my SFGs so when the season is over I don't have to worry so much about misc seeds getting into my mix.

I couldn't help but buy a few plants already (onions, horseradish and chocolate tomatoes).

In addition I somehow have a cuke from LAST year that physically appears to be fine.  Now it's lighter than it should be so I figured it dried from the inside out, but I'll probably cut it open and harvest those seeds if they are in decent shape.  Talk about shelf life!
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/12/2018, 12:12 am

I'm thinking that a porous material would be better, like a sheet, 2 layers of bridal tulle, light weight Agribon-type material. That way the material will stay moist and the seeds would be excluded. ???

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/12/2018, 7:15 pm

Kelejan wrote:It seems that the Canadian Regional thread is not doing very well.

Of the six postings, 4 were mine, and the other two were from California and Ohio.
Our region goes through this too periodically, Kelejan.  I think people in our northern climes get busy in their gardens and forget to keep us posted!  They will come home.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/12/2018, 7:16 pm

SwampTroll wrote:Waiting for the final frost so I can actually put plants in the ground/outside.

I'm also waiting on my foot not to be in so much pain that I can go out and fully clean out my gardens in preparation for things to go in the ground.

I'm thinking about making a tarped screen to go on top of my SFGs so when the season is over I don't have to worry so much about misc seeds getting into my mix.

I couldn't help but buy a few plants already (onions, horseradish and chocolate tomatoes).

In addition I somehow have a cuke from LAST year that physically appears to be fine.  Now it's lighter than it should be so I figured it dried from the inside out, but I'll probably cut it open and harvest those seeds if they are in decent shape.  Talk about shelf life!
ST, is the cuke completely dried?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/13/2018, 12:05 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Kelejan wrote:It seems that the Canadian Regional thread is not doing very well.

Our region goes through this too periodically, Kelejan.  I think people in our northern climes get busy in their gardens and forget to keep us posted!  They will come home.

I hope so, Scorpio.  It gets lonely.  Thanks for your encouragement. BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/13/2018, 12:15 am

SwampTroll wrote:Waiting for the final frost so I can actually put plants in the ground/outside.

Swamp Troll:  yesterday I was given a special tomato cutting that had roots growing from the stalk, and I left it outside last night and the temp dropped to 4C.  It looked dead, but as I was in a hurry to get out I rushed back inside and popped it into a cup of water.  When i came back about three hours later it looked just as dead. I resisted putting into the coffee composter on my counter top and I am so glad I did as looking at it just now about eight hours later, it is now looking very perky although it has lost the roots it had made.  So I will see if it can have another go to produce roots and then I will take great care of it as I do not want to have to explain to the new friend I made that I did not look after her little tom.  Apparently her friend had bought this potted tomato plant that cost her $15. It got a little damaged and her friend was going to throw the pieces away when Mabel, my new friend asked if she could have them and then in the following days produced three rooted cuttings.

The exciting adventures of a little tomato cutting of no known Very Happy  heritage.

Last edited by Kelejan on 6/13/2018, 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/13/2018, 12:23 am

I love making compost.  Last week I took three bags (four spadefuls in each) to our women's centre for their three 6x3 raised beds.

Today I was asked by one of the ladies "How much do you charge for your compost"?
I was flattered, but I do know my own compost is so much better than the municipal compost given out free two bags twice per year.

Anyway, I don't think I will ever sell my compost as it is too precious for all the time and effort in making it.  But I do give some away to friends etc., and tomorrow I will take a bag to give to this lady, for nothing, just because she recognises the quality and I know she will appreciate it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/13/2018, 3:19 am

My compost - truly black gold.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/13/2018, 9:51 am

sanderson wrote:My compost - truly black gold.
+1

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Backyard-composting
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/13/2018, 2:17 pm

Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/15/2018, 8:11 am

Swamp Troll: I missed the bit about your foot.  I hope is is better now.

Update on my special little tomato cutting that nearly died.  It has grown some more roots and yesterday I planted it in soil and this morning it is doing fine.  A great tribute to the need to survive.  I will be able to look my friend Mabel in the eye today  and tell her that her special tomato is doing fine.   I may even tell her how I nearly killed it.

Later on I will be off to a Peony Show. It is Provincial Show and we are privileged to host it here in Castlegar.  This year, of the peonies I was given last year, one had two white blossoms.  New peonies take a their time in producing their first blooms and I think that is why new plants are so expensive to buy when they reach that stage.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2018, 3:48 pm

Will you be entering your 2 peonies?  If so, good luck.  If not, enjoy the show!

Not this year, but I forgot to download the entry forms. i n any case they were a bit battered when I found them. but they did show promise.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/15/2018, 7:43 pm

Not SFG.

Mrs TD and I spent time today at Niagara Falls.  We got engaged at the Falls 47 years ago.CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Img_2033

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Img_2034CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in June 2018 Img_2035

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/15/2018, 7:58 pm

Love the Falls!  They are just awe inspiring!

Did you do the Maid of the Mist????!!!!!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 6/15/2018, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : maid)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2018, 8:06 pm

Bucket list! Happy engagement anniversary!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/15/2018, 8:11 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Love the Falls!  They are just awe inspiring!

Did you do the Maid of the Mist????!!!!!
In all those years we have never done the Maid of the Mist. It is on the bucket list.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/15/2018, 8:50 pm

sanderson wrote:Will you be entering your 2 peonies?  If so, good luck.  If not, enjoy the show!

Not this year, but I forgot to download the entry forms. i n any case they were a bit battered when I found them. but they did show promise.
Just return from the Peony Show and my friend Diane entered her two lots of flowers that had been in her fridge at the bud stage.  Hoping they open up in time to be judged.

On the way back I asked her to look at my two blooms, so as soon as she saw the better one she said we are going straight back and entering it. So she drove the 4k to the Sandman Inn through all the roadworks that are taking place with long line-ups until October in our one-street town and we entered my one flower.  Then all the way back to my home.

Tomorrow she will pick me up sometime after one pm and we will see if we have any luck.  The hall today was busy with people coming and going and having their flowers placed in this category or that category. Lots of flowers already on display and they sure look beautiful.  Judging will take place tomorrow morning, then it will be open to the public at 1:00pm.. 

Diane is a wonderful friend to me.  Her husband was a long-time customer in my store, and I really got to know herwell after he drowned in the local swimming pool.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next