Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Frequency/amount to water
by lisawallace88 Today at 8:07 am

» Birds of the Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 8:04 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:15 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Anyone know about growing plumeria ?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 1:54 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:47 pm

» Memorial Day
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:00 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/26/2024, 1:23 pm

» Tomatoes not having growth
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 11:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2024, 5:35 pm

» Spring Flowers
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 10:47 am

» Dealing with Critters in Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/24/2024, 12:15 am

» Can I sew row cover material?
by ktomchik 5/23/2024, 9:49 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/23/2024, 8:15 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020

+7
lvanderb
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
hellowe57
sanderson
trolleydriver
Kelejan
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 Empty CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020

Post  Kelejan 4/1/2020, 8:47 am

:canada: Well, here we go on a new quarter year on this thread.  I hope Canadians and others have a good gardening session now that the year seems slide by so quickly.

Yesterday we had a one hour snow-storm and the snow disappeared as quickly as it came.  I only knew that it was an hour as I only woke up the last ten minutes.

It was a soggy mess after it all melted but at least it soaks the ground ready for sowing seeds when it gets a little warmer.

We all need to get moving to produce food as we do not know what is ahead of us all.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020

Post  Kelejan 4/3/2020, 12:26 pm

I have been able to get into the garden twice during the last two days and managed to do a bit of brush clearing. The first day I felt very sore and tired but after a good night's sleep I felt fine the next day, and yesterday I did about two hours and had no problems at all except being naturally tired, so this morning I was raring to go and found a very hard frost so now I am waiting for the temperature to rise above freezing so that I can do some more; one trouble is that the forecast is snow mixed with rain but nothing has happened yet.

So it is 9:30am so out I go.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020

Post  Kelejan 4/3/2020, 6:08 pm

I was able to get out into the garden and managed to fill two garbage bags of brush etc and took them up the hill behind my house where I dump things that cannot go on the compost heap.

Then I became chilled and went indoors. This afternoon I looked out my kitchen window and thought I would do another session. The phone rang and after I finished talking the snow was coming down very heavily so that put paid to my good intentions.
At least the phone call stopped me getting snowed on. Look on the bright side.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/5/2020, 5:43 pm

Yesterday I managed another hour outside in the garden clearing brush from an older perennial bed.

Today I am about to continue even though it is not as warm as yesterday.

Gotta keeo going. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/7/2020, 2:09 pm

My posts may get a little boring but at the moment not much to write about, except the days are finally warming up but the nights are still near freezing.

Not much doing as I, among millions are still confined to home but  so lucky to be able to spend time in my garden, at last.

My was neglected last year because of the time I spent in England and on returning I had weeks to catch up with the lawn mowing (12 inches high) and the hours I spent picking apples off my old tree and then drying them.  I have given heaps of them away but still have enough for myself and more until this year's harvest comes in.

I missed out on the cherries as they had no rain and all the cherries were still on the tree and dried up. With hindsihgt I could have picked those cherries as they were all dried and I realise now that they were perfectly edible with adding water to them.   I have only just thought of this, months too late.

What I am doing now is spending time cutting down all the brushwood that has taken over  the perimeter  and it all needs to be tided up before it, along with the ivy, takes over the house, and just plain tidying it up.   I am getting on with it before the green takes over and I cannot see what I am doing.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/8/2020, 9:45 am

KJ your posts are never boring. I am always amazed at the amount if work you do in the garden. Keep those posts coming. I love you🇨🇦
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/8/2020, 10:21 am

trolleydriver wrote:KJ your posts are never boring. I am always amazed at the amount if work you do in the garden. Keep those posts coming. I love you🇨🇦Thanks

Thanks, TD, the feeling is mutual and even more in your favour as you produce much more than I ever had.  I love you And you also paint lovely pictures and work at keeping yourself as healthy as possible and don't give up.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/9/2020, 4:12 am

trolleydriver wrote:KJ your posts are never boring. I am always amazed at the amount if work you do in the garden. Keep those posts coming. I love you🇨🇦
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21573

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/9/2020, 11:42 pm

I need to get as much as I can into bags so that on the 14th they can be collected from the roadside to save me having to put them up the hillside or having to ask one of my neighbours to take them to the municipal composting dump which is at the end of our skinny town, parallel l to the Columbia River. 

Did another three bags today. cheers
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020 Empty New from Rideau Lakes

Post  hellowe57 4/10/2020, 10:29 am

Hi all
Glad to see there is a Canadian forum as I look out at the snow flakes trying to accumulate! I am new to SFG and looking for a big bag of vermiculite: no one seems to carry it in bags bigger than 9l.

I built my boxes and they're sitting there looking empty....

Wendy
hellowe57
hellowe57

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/10/2020, 10:33 am

hellowe57 wrote:Hi all
Glad to see there is a Canadian forum as I look out at the snow flakes trying to accumulate! I am new to SFG and looking for a big bag of vermiculite: no one seems to carry it in bags bigger than 9l.

Wendy
Welcome Wendy.  Are you near Ottawa?  I get 4 cubic feet coarse vermiculite from Ritchie's Feed and Seed, several locations in and around Ottawa. The cost is about $30. Not sure if they are still open during the pandemic. They may take online orders for pickup.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/10/2020, 12:45 pm

Wendy
glad you\'re here  Wendy happy hi
From Kelejan in British Columbia :canada:
I am your host for all of Canada.
Even though we have a large country we do not have quite enough members to have smaller groups like the U.S.  If we had a group for Ontario only that most likely would take 90% from Canada as a whole. 
I am hoping with the New World Order that I believe once we get through this Virus problem, that more people will discover gardening and in particular our form of Square Foot Gardening. Welcome again.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/10/2020, 1:24 pm

Welcome Wendy from Northern California. We will probably see 80 today. No snowflakes here. Rolling Eyes Looking forward to your posts. We I love you  our Canadian neighbors.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/10/2020, 1:34 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Welcome Wendy from Northern California. We will probably see 80 today. No snowflakes here. Rolling Eyes Looking forward to your posts. We I love you  our Canadian neighbors.

CN, thank you so much for that last line.  We also  I love you you, our American neighbours.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/11/2020, 10:20 am

I managed an hour's gardening yesterday, getting rid of brush but it turned cold, and this morning is is worse, with 9C, cloudy and the wind is making the tree at the bottom of my driveway being thrashed to and fro like mad.  So I am staying in today unless the wind drops.

Tomorrow a forecast of a couple of inches of snow.  Rest of the week not much different, except that the weather forecast changes from day to day as it is impossible at times at it is all so changeable.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/12/2020, 7:24 pm

It seems all I can do in my garden so far is to clear the brush that had not been touched for at least two years.  This morning I woke up to -4C with a forecast of +9C which it never reached even by 2pm.  it was still cold at +4C with a fierce gusty wind so I could only manage an hour and was so glad to come inside.

I am trying to get all this stuff out to the curbside for Tuesday morning to be hauled away.  Was not able to obtain biodegradable bags as the City Hall as closed its doors.
I did buy a plk from the supermarket but they cost 60 cents each and were not very large.  So some of the stuff I will have to save until next month and if no free bags are available I will wait until a neighbour can take them to to compost dump at the other end of our city.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2020, 4:56 pm

lots o I sounds so cold there.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21573

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/14/2020, 5:56 pm

sanderson wrote:lots o I sounds so cold there.

It is sanderson.  You know it is when the lawn is covered with white stuff that crunches  and it isn't snow.  I could take a chance and sow some seeds but they had better not come up until the night temps are well above freezing.  The first thing I will be planting are the garlic I never got round to last year.  That will be my job tomorrow once the frost has gone.  I do have bags of shredded leaves I can cover them with and also wood chips that have been in a heap for a year and looking very nice.

I did get all the yard waste out to the curbside in time this morning.  Whew!  Now I have until May 19th to get the rest out.

At least, being confined to my house I can at least do some gardening, especially as my brother in England is feeling that I will not be able to getto England by the end of 2020. :-(
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/14/2020, 6:43 pm

Hang in there Kelejan!  I’m glad to hear you are staying in.  I know it’s hard, and this is just so strange for us all.  I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8747

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/14/2020, 7:55 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Hang in there Kelejan!  I’m glad to hear you are staying in.  I know it’s hard, and this is just so strange for us all.  I love you

This evening at 7pm I am going out into the road and banging on my triangle, the one that my husband and I watched being forged in front of us.  It will be the first time I have ever used it with intent. It makes a lovely sound and I always envisaged it being struck to call the menfolk into supper. Alas it was not to be.

Does anyone here live in the Cities where they go out at 7pm to cheer all the people who are having to work in all sorts of dangerous situations like care worker, doctors, and so on?  We may even have some caregivers in our subdivision perhaps we will get to know them? 

I must say it can get very lonely here in my quiet backwater on the edge of our little city.  We are the last to have our roads cleared of snow or gravel etc. as our road leads nowhere.  But it is quiet and I love that.  I will let you know how many of us turn up.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 4/15/2020, 3:34 pm

Hi all - I'm brand new here!

I'm transitioning my veggie garden to raised beds and would like to try SFG. Hopefully those raised beds will get finished and filled soon!

In the warm days (2), we just had, I was able to get a bunch of comfrey starts potted. as I'm selling them on kijiji. Once the weather warms up again, I'll be potting more!

Other than that I do Winter Sowing - planting seeds in plastic jugs in February - very fun! And I have a hydroponic garden in the basement - to support my green smoothie habit - still have to buy greens, just not as much.

Linda
lvanderb
lvanderb

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/15/2020, 5:09 pm

glad you\'re here Ivanderb from Ontario  happy hi

Canadian Hostess
Kelejan from British Columbia
:canada:

There is lots of information here on this wonderful  Forum on Square Foot Gardening.
Just ask questions and someone will be around to answer as we all like to spread our knowledge even the newcomers.  One day even you will be able to answer someone's question knowing that you will be right.
While you are on this page, your will notice at the top left-hand corner where there is a box with the heading SEARCH which in time you will find a mine of information going back years.
All the best to you. I love you
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/16/2020, 12:45 pm

Kelejan wrote:glad you\'re here Ivanderb from Ontario  happy hi

Canadian Hostess
Kelejan from British Columbia
:canada:

There is lots of information here on this wonderful  Forum on Square Foot Gardening.
Just ask questions and someone will be around to answer as we all like to spread our knowledge even the newcomers.  One day even you will be able to answer someone's question knowing that you will be right.
While you are on this page, your will notice at the top left-hand corner where there is a box with the heading SEARCH which in time you will find a mine of information going back years.
All the best to you. I love you
Hi! again, Ivanderb from Tavistock, Ontario. I am glad to see you doing so well with your own thread, Hello from Tavistock. You will be able to keep that as your own thread for years, if you wish. Just drop in here sometimes.  I love you
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 4/16/2020, 12:52 pm

thanks
lvanderb
lvanderb

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/21/2020, 8:22 am

Wendy
Hi   Wendy, I received your email this morning and I hope I have solved your problem.
If I do not hear from you, I will pass on your problem to someone who is a lot more clever than I am. 

PS The POST reply box is below on the left hand corner.

BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next