Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL 2019

3 posters

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 Empty CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL 2019

Post  Kelejan 4/1/2019, 12:37 am

Welcome to a new April thread of Canadian Gardening.

FINALLY, Spring seems to have arrived in British Columbia, Southern Interior where I live.

The last two days I have spent an hour and a half tidying up the garden and cutting up the dead plants, trying to sort out the bits of compost I have ready to go into the large 4 x 4 by however deep I can get it  Then there is a pile of wood chips that have been under the snow all winter, that has to be sorted out.

There are still a few patches of snow around due to the fact that my garden is on the north side of a ridge that restricts how much sunlight I get during the year.

My working stint included clearing all the debris that gets on a driveway during the winter of only clearing snow to make a pathway to the road for me and my garbage can.

So now the workload increases and there will be more to write and talk about and I  will revert to monthly threads instead of three-monthly.

So, please, my dear Canadians, come and let other Canadian know what you are up to

So far, all I have are a few snowdrops showing and the swallows are flying around deciding wheter to take up the free rental apartment I  have supplied them for the last 23 years.  Tomorrow I will take inventory to see if the garlic and strawberries have survived, or are staying under the surface just to make sure the coast is clear for them to come up.

My resolution is to try and do an hour's work each day to try and keep on top of the job of maintaining a garden, especially the weeding part where I  generally fall down later in the year. Secondary: to prune the flowering shrubs as they have finish flowering so that the following year's blooms do not grow at the top of the bush.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL 2019

Post  sanderson 4/3/2019, 3:55 am

With all of your gardening starting this month, I hope you rested up during the winter. Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL  2019 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL 2019

Post  trolleydriver 4/19/2019, 5:24 pm

Kelejan, thanks for the Easter Greeting e-card. Much appreciated. Hope all is well as you plan for the future.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/19/2019, 6:03 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Kelejan, thanks for the Easter Greeting e-card. Much appreciated. Hope all is well as you plan for the future.  Very Happy
As they say in Canada, TD, You are welcome. Plans are going well for my trip to England; I have accommodation for the first week with my Niece, a whole bedroom and bed to myself and I can stay as long as I like, or use it as a way-station as I come and go.  I will see the relatives up their first, then make my way down south to meet my brother David and his family, and we will allow a couple of weeks to get to know one another and do things together like visiting our old haunts when we should have been in the same family and wondering what it would have been like to have been brought up together. David is interested in the school I lived in for nine years,  I will be staying with DAvid's daughter as she also has a spare bedroom.  Lucky me.  I will not have to sleep on anyone's couch or share a bed.  I have several relatives ready to ferry me around and I will be passed from person to person like a parcel, which for me sounds great.  I doubt I will have to do any planning, but like a good guest I will do the washing up, make my bed, play with their cats and take the dog for a walk.

My plane ticket is booked, medical insurance sorted, I will be picked up from Manchester Airport, and at the finish of my holiday I will be taken there to catch my plane back to Canada. They got to make sure I don't get lost, or something. Somehow I am not so adventurous as I was twenty years ago so I am happy to be looked after.

Sanderson,  have not done very much in my garden but I have tided up the compost heap and will continue to empty the tumbler contents as I can.  it is an awful hard job to get the part-composted stuff out of a tumbler; it doesn't just fall out when you up-end it as it is still moist and sticks together.   I am tackling the overgrowth at the back of my property, half an hour a day when it is not raining.  I will plant some lettuce seeds in a few day time but that, I'm afraid, will be the extent of my gardening this year.

The garlic is standing tall and the strawberries have survived.  The "lawn" is greening up and will soon need cutting. The forsythia is in full bloom and a lovely sight to see as it is my first colour in the garden apart from a few snowdrops.

When the strawberries, apple cherries etc ripen, I will do my usual canning and if I do make up my mind to go back to England, it will be a nice gift to give to friends.

Lots of rain today after a wonderful sunny Thyrsday, abd it should be sunny this Saturday and Sunday.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/19/2019, 6:20 pm

Fantastic KJ.  I wish I could get a direct flight from Ottawa to Manchester but the only direct from Ottawa is to Heathrow.  Manchester airport is only a 40 minute drive to may family in Stoke-on-Trent.  Heathrow is more like 3 hours. 

I would be interested (via email) on what you did for health insurance.  It's a real problem for us due to Mrs TDs existing health problems.  I feel like we are trapped in Ontario. Can't even cross the border to the USA to visit friends in New Hampshire.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/21/2019, 2:15 am

KJ, When is your trip? Where will Pal stay while you are gone?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down