Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My two favorite stories about west Texas.. Toplef10My two favorite stories about west Texas.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My two favorite stories about west Texas.. I22gcj10My two favorite stories about west Texas.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My two favorite stories about west Texas.. Toplef10My two favorite stories about west Texas.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My two favorite stories about west Texas.. I22gcj10My two favorite stories about west Texas.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My two favorite stories about west Texas..

3 posters

Go down

My two favorite stories about west Texas.. Empty My two favorite stories about west Texas..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/7/2011, 3:58 pm

My grandparents were HUGE Texans. Grew up in San Antonio and married as high school sweethearts. The stories they used to tell all revolved around them living in Texas....and moving constantly due to being in the oil industry.

My grandfather used to say that a true West Texas native will describe their weather as having two seasons.....Summer and Christmas.

And, he said one would describe their climate with a quick sentence. "Well, the almanac will tell you we get about 9 inches of rain per year.....but you should be here the day we get it."

He also used to describe a guy standing on the side of the road waving at the traffic. He said this old man would say the craziest stuff to oncoming traffic because......"They just smile and wave because that is what's expected. You could say anything to someone and they will still smile and wave to you. Here, I'll prove it."

A car comes by. The man waves and says, "Howdy, Turd!"

Of course, the car just smiled and waved as if they were returning the howdy. Apparently, it worked everytime.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

My two favorite stories about west Texas.. Empty My two favorite stories about west Texas..

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 2/7/2011, 5:14 pm

Most folks fail to understand how big Texas is: for instance, standing in El Paso, you are halfway between Houston and Los Angeles. The Hill Country of Central Texas is a lovely place to live. Ever since moving to Oregon, I've tried to find a way to live near Llano, Texas in the winter, and St. Helens, OR, in the summer. THEN...I could have home grown tomatoes all year long! As Guy Clark (a West Texan) wrote: "There's only two things that money can't buy: true love and home grown tomatoes." Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

My two favorite stories about west Texas.. Empty Re: My two favorite stories about west Texas..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/7/2011, 7:40 pm

I will give you that. The Hill Country is one of the neatest places I've ever been. My family has land on the Frio River near Leakey. We've been there twice, but not for 20 years.

Loved Kerrville, Fredricksburg, the Guadalupe River...the whole bit. It was neat to see the legendary area my grandparents talked so much about.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 2/7/2011, 8:02 pm

Agreed, love the area around Fredricksburg. The old home place was between Fredricksburg and Mason, TX (Loyal Valley), the ranch had been in the family since before the War of Northern Agression (Civil War). A highpoint of living on the old ranch was a chance to meet Fred Gibson, author of Old Yeller (first a book, then a Disney movie). His depiction of the area was spot on. Wonderful memories. Saw okra growing wild behind the house on the homestead. My grandkids are now of an age to read Old Yeller for themselves, so I shall pass on the book. Kinda wish I could grow okra here in Oregon--wonder if it grows east near Hermiston where the great melons come from? Best wishes, Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

My two favorite stories about west Texas.. Empty Re: My two favorite stories about west Texas..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/7/2011, 11:20 pm

Just tear out the last few pages. I still tear up when I think about the story....and how it ends.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/27/2011, 11:34 am

I'm not a native Texan, but I've been here long enough to consider it home, I've always wanted to live here for as long as I can remember. There is a small town in NE TX about 20 miles from the AR, TX border that used to have destinations and their miles posted in huge letters on the side of the building. Chicago IL was 15 miles closer than El Paso TX, that just floored me.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down