Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 Toplef10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 I22gcj10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 Toplef10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 I22gcj10Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Three Sisters Thursday

+37
Chopper
giant_trainer
dayhut
sanderson
Marc Iverson
gwennifer
walshevak
southern gardener
ETNRedClay
tagyourit
Dunkinjean
Turan
thegreatcob
snibb
lisaphoto
rhanford
madnicmom
Kelejan
stripesmom
middlemamma
sherryeo
westie42
Goosegirl
Furbalsmom
jcpen
capatl
AprilakaCCIL
Nonna.PapaVino
mijejo
Cynlady
boffer
petals1973
quiltbea
nancy
FamilyGardening
busygirl
FarmerValerie
41 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 Empty Re: Three Sisters Thursday

Post  mijejo 7/29/2011, 5:15 pm

We harvested my Three Sisters corn a few days ago. I planted an early dwarf variety. The ears were small, but very delicous. I expected the corn to last a few days as left-overs. The family could not stop eating it and it was gone by the time the dinner table was cleared. We also had green, yellow, and purple beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Basil and oregano added flair. All was from the garden. Yummy!
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/29/2011, 8:27 pm

congrats cheers mijejo on your wonderful harvest!

quiltbea our three sisters are not in our SFG....they are out in our back garden....we used mounds for the corn, beans, pumpkins and squash.....we have four corn per mound, with four pole beans or if we planted bush beans i did a circle around the corn.....the pumpkins and squash each have two plants per mound Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 7/29/2011, 10:53 pm

WTG mijejo!!! happy turtle

Excited for you guys. happy banana

---------------

Rose, I hope the squash starts to produce for you. flower
Love your pic's...everything looks great!!!
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/29/2011, 11:57 pm

Thanks april Very Happy we are still hoping we got some squash and at least one pumpkin!

we are so excited to see the corn ears coming.....each morning now hubby is the first one out the door to see if there is anymore baby hair Laughing

im/we are so surprised how pretty the corn has turned out to be Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/5/2011, 12:15 pm

the three sisters are doing great!

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_10

the corn is getting lots of ears....so far 2 to 3 and it almost looks like we could get 4 ears per stock....Shocked

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_11

the squash is getting huge....still no fruit as of yet....maybe there is some in there and we just cant get to it....Laughing

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_13

we have one really big pumpkin growing....looks like someone else has his eye on it as well...it has claw marks on it affraid

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_14

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  petals1973 8/5/2011, 12:33 pm

Everything looks great! Heat killed my beans. Aphids got my zucchini & squash. Not sure what happened to the corn. Oh well there is always next year.

FamilyGardening wrote:the three sisters are doing great!

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_10

the corn is getting lots of ears....so far 2 to 3 and it almost looks like we could get 4 ears per stock....Shocked

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_11

the squash is getting huge....still no fruit as of yet....maybe there is some in there and we just cant get to it....Laughing

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_13

we have one really big pumpkin growing....looks like someone else has his eye on it as well...it has claw marks on it affraid

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_04_14

hugs

rose
petals1973
petals1973

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpen 8/9/2011, 5:32 pm

three sisters is not really for beginners, neither are many other companion planting combinations do to the need to understand the limits and goals of each combination.
jcpen

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/10/2011, 8:18 am

I disagree, it just takes a bit of reading and planning and anyone can do it.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/10/2011, 1:14 pm

+1, FV

That is one reason we all come together on this forum, to learn from each other!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpen 8/10/2011, 7:56 pm

farmer valerie the reason I say three sister is not for beginners. Is I have seen the results of them trying it. An over grown tangle of plants they can not get any harvest from.
jcpen

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/11/2011, 12:20 am

this is our second year of gardening and first year for a three sisters garden.....its doing wonderful Very Happy ....it is a jungle...but that is what we wanted to keep the coons out and away from the corn....we can get in there when needed we just need to be careful where we walk.....as far as harvesting the pumpkins and squash...i have read its better to let them stay on the vine until the plant dries up and dies off....letting them stay there until right before the freeze hits....this allows the outside shell to harden firmer allowing the pumpkins and squash to store longer inside.....
we are amazed at how well the garden is doing....we should be starting to harvest the corn next week cyclops .....the beans are all flowering and the squash is setting fruit.....we have four pretty good size pumpkins as well cheers
I recommand this type of gardening to anyone....its been really easy and fun to watch the plants grow together.....the children have learned so much!
With any garden....there will be up and downs.....the weather plays a big role in it as well.....i also believe that the lay out of the garden is the key.....
hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/11/2011, 8:03 am

jcpen wrote:farmer valerie the reason I say three sister is not for beginners. Is I have seen the results of them trying it. An over grown tangle of plants they can not get any harvest from.

So, who really cares, it's fun, it's learning, I've seen row gardens that are not companion planted in worse shape. If a gardener takes the time to read and plan, they are going to take the time to care for it. What if the Native Americans had given up after that first year. We are all entitled to our opinions, mine is to let us play in our own gardens, after all it's our own garden.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpen 8/11/2011, 5:23 pm

the native American grew all three crops you drying not fresh eating.
corn for meal , squash for storage and beans dry beans. as for the mess they harvest after all plant died back.
if want use three sister with sweet corn , string bean and summer squash you have to plant in totally different way then native Americans did.
jcpen

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/11/2011, 6:08 pm

We thought, after a couple of years using the Three Sisters in row gardening, we were experienced. NOT! by creating a bale bed, filled with Mel's Mix and planted with sweet corn, scarlet runner beans, and winter squash plants where the bales came together, we were not prepared for this:

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 11410

I'll try to post some pictures of the squashes that have escaped the fence and are hanging outside the garden. Wasn't ready for the verdent growth the heat from the composting action on the old hay bales.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/11/2011, 6:34 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:We thought, after a couple of years using the Three Sisters in row gardening, we were experienced. NOT! by creating a bale bed, filled with Mel's Mix and planted with sweet corn, scarlet runner beans, and winter squash plants where the bales came together, we were not prepared for this:

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 11410

Gallopin' Gourds! Phew!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 8/11/2011, 9:52 pm

After very high winds and lots of rain...I think I got most of the garden back in shape. My worms are doing better, ants seem to be interested elsewhere. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy This is fun...I have no idea how to be a gardener, but I'm learning daily. flower

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08-11-12

My other Three Sisters SFG but with pumpkins is below Very Happy It too took a beating from the winds, but hopefully all is back in good upright order.

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08-11-13
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/12/2011, 12:20 am

april and nonna your gardens look great!

our three sisters are VERY busy.....growing veggies!!

they only problem so far is someone is scratching and pecking at our pumpkins Mad

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_11_10

does anyone know what would be doing that?

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_11_11

our corn is filling out and getting fatter every day Very Happy

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_11_12

lots of flowers on the beans..these are little pinkish-purple flowers sunny

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_11_13

acorn squash

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_11_14

butter cup squash

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 08_11_15

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/12/2011, 12:33 am

Rose, I was going to ask if the bullet came out the other side then the better answer came to me.

"The Man with the Pumpkin Head" by Robert Walser

Once there was a man and on his shoulders he had, instead of a head, a hollow pumpkin. This was no great help to him. Yet he still wanted to be Number One. That's the sort of person he was. For a tongue he had an oak leaf hanging from his mouth, and his teeth were cut out with a knife. Instead of eyes, he had two round holes. Back of the holes, two candle stumps flickered. Those were his eyes. They didn't help him see far. And yet he said his eyes were better than anyone's, the braggart. On his pumpkin head he wore a tall hat; used to take it off when anyone spoke to him, he was so polite. Once this man went for a walk. But the wind blew so hard that his eyes went out. He wanted to cry with his candle ends, because he couldn't find his way home. So now he sat there, held his pumpkin head between his hands, and wanted to die. But dying didn't come to him so easily. First there had to come a June bug, which ate the oak leaf from his mouth; there had to come a bird, which pecked a hole in his pumpkin head; there had to come a child, who took away the two candle stumps. Then he could die. The bug is still eating the leaf, the bird is pecking still, and the child is playing with the candle stumps.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 8/12/2011, 8:07 am

jcpen wrote:the native American grew all three crops you drying not fresh eating.
corn for meal , squash for storage and beans dry beans. as for the mess they harvest after all plant died back.
if want use three sister with sweet corn , string bean and summer squash you have to plant in totally different way then native Americans did.

Again, I have to dissagree, most of the videos I have seen were of the descendants of Native Americans carrying on their anscestors traditions. And as I already said, so what, who cares, it's fun, gets kids involved, and when it comes to gardening to each his own.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 Empty Three Sisters Thursday

Post  sherryeo 8/12/2011, 12:03 pm

Hi jcpen, I think probably most of us here on the forum like to experiment and try new gardening techiques. When I first joined, I was insecure and worried too much about my inexperience and lack of knowledge about gardening. But I was soon influenced by some of the great folks on here who suggested lightening up, enjoying gardening instead of being so afraid of everything.

The term "it's just seeds" is used often here and is what helped me realize that it's ok to experiment and not worry so much about doing things "by the book."

It's just so much more enjoyable to loosen up, try new and perhaps even untried techniques in the garden. If we're willing to play around with gardening and willing to accept the fact that we may not have 100% success, it's a free country and we're allowed. After all, who/what does it hurt? And you'd be surprised at some of the successes folks have had trying gardening "outside of the box" - but still inside our sfg boxes!

Here's to being free to try things that "somebody" said couldn't be done!!! Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 433311
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/12/2011, 10:26 pm

You guys,

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner....but jcpen is a banned member that keeps rejoining under different names. You don't have to worry about him/her anymore I just banned them again. Sorry for the negativity in your thread!

sunny
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/13/2011, 7:07 am

middlemamma wrote:You guys,

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner....but jcpen is a banned member that keeps rejoining under different names. You don't have to worry about him/her anymore I just banned them again. Sorry for the negativity in your thread!

sunny

Thank you for watching out for the forum! With thousands of members it can't be easy!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 8/25/2011, 9:42 am

I'm so excited over my Three Sisters Garden. It's coming along just great! Most of the beans suffered due to the extreme heat & humidity in bed #1, but oh well. Looks like we're going to have a bunch of corn and squash. I still got other variety of beans growing in the TSSFG #2 bed and my 4x4 bed.

All is-a-growin' Very Happy Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 802240 We already ate our first bunch of squash and believe me it was so yummy. Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 418730

I wish my Grandma could see me doing this. I never could even grow house plants w/o killing them. Embarassed

Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 Three_13
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/25/2011, 10:08 am

I'm so happy to see this working for many of you.

We tried this in our comm garden this year so I didn't try it on my own. The fellow that was in charge of said project 'dropped the ball' and didn't follow thru. He just didn't do a thing after sowing a few seeds. The corn was inundated with weeds and most strangled out, only a couple of squash plants have made it and no pole beans because he never sowed those at all. His rows being very far from my own, I never noticed. I am very disappointed because I was waiting for sweet corn. I had planned to try this myself in my own rows but was told not to by the director. No sense in both of us doing the same thing. Therefore, I'm really happy to see how this works for others so that next year I can do it on my own.

Thank you members, for sharing.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/25/2011, 2:22 pm

quick up date....im not at home on our computer so im unable to post a pic's right now....the garden looks pretty much as all the other pics from before that i have posted.....cheers its doing great!

we have lots of corn.....some stalks have up to three ears on each of them Very Happy they are filling out and looking fat......hubby has already put dibs on which ones are his....LOL...kinda of like sticking your finger in a peice of cake! Three Sisters Thursday - Page 3 889526i thought we would be able to harvest more of the corn this week....but we are being patient and waiting until the silks have all turned brown and dry up.....its a hard wait after we did one sample of the corn last week and it was sooo yummy!

the sqaush plants are huge.....we havent harvested any of them yet....and to be honest im not sure what is growing under them....i know we have poked around in there and have seen baby squash growing....we havent done much poking and messing around to much with the leaves.....we have wanted to avoid the powder mildew the we had on just a couple of leaves....we cut them off and got rid of them and so far by not touching them we havent seen anymore of it......i read that you can wait to harvest any squash up until right before your frost date.....the plants will die off, the corn and beans will be done.....then we will get in there and harvest the squash......

we have at least four large pumpkings.....the really big momma is starting to turn a little color of yellowish/orange .....cheers

the beans are doing ok.....we have harvested some of the purple ones albino my scarlet runners have really pretty red flowers on them and they are almost to the top of the corn which is about 9ft or more tall.....we have several differnt kinds of beans growing....each mound of corn has a differnt kind of bean.....we are looking forward to trying differnt flavors and decided which ones we like the best, and which ones grew the best....its a test run for next year so to speak :drunken:

hubby said for sure he wants to plant another three sisters next year!

oh almost forgot....no sign of any raccoons!!!....the squash/pumpkin sister has done a great job guarding the garden!!....what a warrior she is!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next