Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's eating in your garden today? Toplef10What's eating in your garden today? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's eating in your garden today? I22gcj10What's eating in your garden today? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's eating in your garden today? Toplef10What's eating in your garden today? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's eating in your garden today? I22gcj10What's eating in your garden today? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's eating in your garden today?

+34
brcbedard
Mamachibi
Furbalsmom
rschack
ericam
Turan
camprn
H_TX_2
Ha-v-v
acara
Coelli
Triciasgarden
BetsyC
dixie
kbb964
plantoid
Nonna.PapaVino
llama momma
givvmistamps
donnainzone5
Don T
walshevak
JK
RoOsTeR
GWN
Goosegirl
1orangething
Lindacol
stripesmom
yuliad
Denese
sherryeo
littlesapphire
shannon1
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What's eating in your garden today? Empty What's eating in your garden today?

Post  shannon1 8/1/2011, 3:07 am

I have found so many different bugs this week I have named it the week of the bugs. Katydid did a number on my asian eggplant, aphids and ladybeattles are having it out on my okra, the plant seems not to care, spittle bugs on the rosemary,biglegged leaf bugs every where. The garden is doing just fine though. We SFG'ers have a head start with organic insect control by having healthy non stressed plants to begin with. Aside from the ladybeatles I have birds, wasps, spiders, lizards, frogs, and toads keeping the pest bugs down so I have realy only had to spray the big legged leaf bugs. I am not sure why but the coons, voles, rats and friends have left it completely alone.

So what's eating in your garden aside from the humans?
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? Empty Re: What's eating in your garden today?

Post  littlesapphire 8/1/2011, 7:39 am

Well, let's see... I always have a million leaf hoppers jumping around in the garden, and I've noticed a few cucumber beetles in amongst my beans (weirdly enough!). Two or three Japanese beetles are usually in my beans as well. Then there's the yucky SVB I dug out of my squash vines yesterday (let's hope they heal). Oh! And don't forget slugs!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? Empty What's eating in your garden today?

Post  sherryeo 8/1/2011, 10:34 am

Aphids! On my southern peas! I have been keeping their population down, but it's been so rainy here lately, I just haven't been able to get out to spray with Neem or insecticical soap to keep them away. There have been more of them than ever, but I've started spraying them again.

Strangely but gratefully, the leaffooted bugs, which I was also having to watch and hand-pick every day, seem to have run their course. I haven't seen any in a couple of weeks.

Other than those two things, I've been pretty lucky. I've had leafhoppers, but they don't really seem to be hurting anything much. I've had leafminers, but just squish the little line they run through the leaf and that seems to have kept them under better control. They do still pop up every once in a while, but don't seem to hurt things much.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? Empty Re: What's eating in your garden today?

Post  Denese 8/1/2011, 1:09 pm

A tomato hornworm on one of my jalapeno pepper plants! At least he was, not anymore. Twisted Evil Looked for more but didn't see any, yet. I'll keep checking. I'm just happy he left the peppers.
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? Empty Something is eating my garden...

Post  yuliad 10/8/2011, 8:03 pm

Something is eating my garden. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. It look like this something has scissors, as few of my plans were "cut" and the tops were laying near by. Also few of my okra plants just vanished. Very mysterious situation. Any advice? thinking
Yulia
yuliad

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 10/9/2011, 6:20 am

Without pics I'm just guessing could it be cut worms? If the cut was at ground level I think it could in which case you can prevent it by putting collars around you plants stems.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  yuliad 10/9/2011, 6:56 am

Thank you for your reply, shannon1.
I just googled it and the pictures of damaged plants looked exactly just like my plants. Now I am scared. It could destroy everything!
Can you clarify about " putting collars" suggestion. I don't know how to do it. I was dusting my plants with the DE. I am not sure if that can help as well.
Yulia
yuliad

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 10/9/2011, 9:43 am

I have never seen so many tomato worms. Every day, I pick off 5 or 6 and I only have 11 tomato plants. Some of these worms are huge too, I don't see how I miss them.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 10/9/2011, 10:36 am

yuliad wrote:Thank you for your reply, shannon1.
I just googled it and the pictures of damaged plants looked exactly just like my plants. Now I am scared. It could destroy everything!
Can you clarify about " putting collars" suggestion. I don't know how to do it. I was dusting my plants with the DE. I am not sure if that can help as well.
Yulia

Here are some ideas for collars:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6563-cut-worm-protection
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 10/9/2011, 10:40 am

stripesmom wrote:I have never seen so many tomato worms. Every day, I pick off 5 or 6 and I only have 11 tomato plants. Some of these worms are huge too, I don't see how I miss them.

I spray with BT and in a couple of days all I find are dead tomato worms hanging from the plants. I've only had to do it a couple of times, as soon as I find a little one I spray.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? Empty What's eating in you garden today.

Post  1orangething 10/9/2011, 11:27 am

So far I'm lucky. I was:( when I pulled out most of the summer and started anew. My lettuce from seed are already poking through. Havent't seen any pests yet on tomatoes or my peppers. Happy growing.
1orangething
1orangething

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/14/2012, 9:16 pm

Thought this thread needed a bump. This evening when I checked on my boxes I found 2 beans that had sprouted since I watered this morning before work. Both have already been chewed off by a rabbit. I immediately went crazy with the cayenne throughout all my boxes. Here, bunny, bunny!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/14/2012, 9:33 pm

darn funny
Here, bunny, bunny!
What a great title for a thread. Much as i am fearful to say it, nothing seems to be eating anything in my garden right now. I seem to be doing the most damage, having just decided against celery in the SFG as it has totally spread WAYYYYY beyond its boundaries, into the pepper square. So I just ripped them all out. What's eating in your garden today? 1280598131
Now I am afraid what is going to eat my crops after saying that.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/15/2012, 1:44 am

lately I have found skipper larva rolled up in the pole bean leaves. It may be a good way to hide from birds but makes it easy for me to find and squish them:twisted:
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/15/2012, 4:23 am

GWN wrote: What's eating in your garden today? 262465
Here, bunny, bunny!
What a great title for a thread. Much as i am fearful to say it, nothing seems to be eating anything in my garden right now. I seem to be doing the most damage, having just decided against celery in the SFG as it has totally spread WAYYYYY beyond its boundaries, into the pepper square. So I just ripped them all out. What's eating in your garden today? 1280598131
Now I am afraid what is going to eat my crops after saying that.

What's eating in your garden today? 889526 I usually do the most damage in my garden as well!What's eating in your garden today? 889526 I am trying celery for the first time. The transplants were a bit scraggly but all parts that were yellow and wimpy were trimmed up by the same bunny that got the beans. Silly rabbit trimmed them perfectly, leaving the good upright centers standing tall and unmolested. If only I could capture and train it to prune my tomatoes properly! What's eating in your garden today? 601593

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/15/2012, 7:58 am

I'm still battling the flea beetles Mad They are absolutely relentless!

What's eating in your garden today? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 5/15/2012, 8:18 am

Yesterday was the first time in four days that it hasnt been raining. When I last looked everything was fine... Now I have no leaves left on my brocolli thanks to some little green worm/caterpillar thing. I was not a happy gardener yesterday Evil or Very Mad
JK

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/15/2012, 9:39 am

Leaf miners on the collards and something on the beans. Sprayed with BT and beans are doing better. Cut the damaged leaves off the collards and sprayed with Neem. We shall see,

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/15/2012, 10:12 am

Something cut the top of oneof my bush beam plants off. There were no leaves around to identify if some bug ate it or if it just broke off and blew away. I will be watching closely thanks to this thread.
Don T
Don T

Male Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/15/2012, 1:39 pm

I think the bunny may have found the Cayenne! On my morning check I found one of the celery nibbled a tiny bit more. That was it. No other trim-jobs. Wish I had it on film!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/15/2012, 3:31 pm

That was it. No other trim-jobs. Wish I had it on film!
bunny running for WATTTEEERRRR
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/18/2012, 11:56 am

Well, my garden has been growing really great. I knew there would be some setbacks but I didn't really expect the geese to eat my corn.

What's eating in your garden today? IMG_3625

This family has been around all spring and has left me alone. However eight adults flew in yesterday and entered the garden for a few seconds before the neighbor chased them away. Thank God and good neighbors she was there to catch them right away. They bit off the leaves of most of the corn stalks and knocked a few of them down. I was able to straighten them out and none are dead this morning.

What's eating in your garden today? IMG_3652

I also noticed some insect damage to my Santa Rosa Plum tree planted this year. This damage was done very quickly and I will go talk to the people at the nursery about some type of spray to kill whatever is doing it. I couldn't find any bugs of worms.

What's eating in your garden today? IMG_3651
Don T
Don T

Male Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/18/2012, 11:59 am

Aww man, GEESE. I know they eat grass, and I guess they just think corn is an especially tasty kind of grass. Hopefully they'll recover!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/18/2012, 12:31 pm

I know that my cats have always considered corn to be a special, hybridized giant grass grown solely for their own pleasure.... I didn't know about geese.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/21/2012, 12:38 pm

YES, corn is a type of grass, domesticated over 8700 years ago, according to this National Geographic story. (I had to look it up to remind myself for certain.)

Don, am I mistaken, or are those Canadian Geese? I wonder what they're doing in the South at this time of year? Sorry to hear they thought your corn looked so tasty. Hopefully you can find something not so tasty to dust them with (hot pepper powder, maybe? it works with so many other pests) to deter those non-migrating geese from your corn.

Have you taken damaged plum leaves to your garden center or local extension agency? It might help them to determine what's attacking it and how to treat for such before all the leaves are afflicted.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next