Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel Toplef10Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel I22gcj10Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel Toplef10Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel I22gcj10Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel

+3
Kelejan
janezee
staf74
7 posters

Go down

Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel Empty Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel

Post  staf74 10/30/2011, 10:53 pm

Fellow SFG'ners,

As promised here is my first in a short series of videos to show how I extend my season way beyond first frost. I got lucky last night. We had a pretty good frost and I did not cover up. Nearly blew the whole project before it had even started!

Note to self - DON'T gamble with mother nature.

The plastic (not shown) is regular opaque 6mil thickness from Lowes. It's nothing special and not greenhouse specialty material at all. Found it in the paint section and paid $50 for a 100ft long roll x 12ft wide and its into a 3rd season now (Last fall, this spring and now this fall.) It certainly does the job for me.

Sorry I just threw this vid together before dusk but hopefully you get the idea. Next time I will try to get a video posted from the am and compare the temps from both inside and outside. I usually throw the lights on around midnight before bed but I do have a timer and can set it to go on just as the hourly forecast drops below say 38 to save electricity although these lights are very cheap to run.

Let me know if you have any questions. TTFN.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel Empty Re: Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel

Post  janezee 10/30/2011, 11:37 pm

I'm so jealous! Not only is it neat and tidy, it's also just plain pretty with the lights. I'm working on a similar set-up, but mine won't be as tidy, for sure, lol.
I have just one question. Have you or anyone else done it this way with the lights before? I'm concerned about the wind blowing the plastic against hot lights and melting it. Are they not that hot?
Where I live is really windy.
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel Empty Re: Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel

Post  staf74 10/30/2011, 11:54 pm

Janezee,

Its a consideration for sure but not a concern. Correct ; they really are not that hot. You can wrap your hands around the lights and not burn yourself. It's my 3rd season with this method. The lights are spaced a good four inches from the nearest plastic in any diection and I carefully check that the lights DON'T touch the plastic. The rebar is spaced 6 inches OUTSIDE the beds and so I have enough wiggle room for wind. I make sure the plastic is pretty taut and anchored down on all sides with 4x2 wood so it does not blow around. The rebar really holds the plastic piping in position well. Its a tight fit with 1/2 inch rebar and 3/4 inch diameter piping (but the inner hole is just over 1/2 inch) slipped over it. In heavier winds I add a strip of plastic piping over the top arch and run it all the way along the length of all hoops for additional strength and add more weighty objects on top of the wood.

Never melted (or lost in wind) the plastic yet...fingers crossed I never do Smile
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 10/31/2011, 1:56 am

Thanks, Graham. I'll be following in your footsteps soon. Mother Nature is being crazy this year!
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 10/31/2011, 7:53 am

No worries Janezee!!!

I'm sure if i lived in your neck of the woods, that i'd probably need a slightly more sturdier setup also. You must get much more wind than I ..... Good Luck !!!

Quick update - We did get a light frost this AM. However, everything was nice and toasty under the covers. Took them off at 7.15am before leaving for work.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/3/2011, 1:05 pm

Quick update - We have had 6 straight frosts in a row. All light to moderate frosts mind you but still able to damage the plants if not protected. Everything working well and the plants have made it through just fine. The main reason is down to my wife. The sun hits the SFG now around 7.45 - 8am with no clouds on the horizon and I'm long gone for work by then. Too chilly to take the chance. Luckily, my wife is able to take off the covers for me and vent the SFG by around 8.30 and let them grow by day. We still reach the mid 60's here each day by the afternoon. We should run into a stretch of days now where the covers are not needed. Looks like we will hit 70 next week also for a couple of days.

So far so good Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/3/2011, 3:28 pm

You certainly have lots of nice stuff worth preserving.Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/18/2019, 2:59 pm

Bump! lots o
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/18/2019, 3:30 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Bump! lots o
Wow. He must have great compost. Everything was so lush. Shame there's no footage of the covered beds.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2019, 5:24 pm

I have used the old fashion Christmas lights to provide heat under plastic covers.  They are also so pretty at night! Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel Hot_ho18

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/18/2019, 6:34 pm

markqz wrote:
Wow. He must have great compost. Everything was so lush.
That's what I was thinking. That's why I bumped it -- something to aspire to. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/18/2019, 8:17 pm

markqz wrote:
Wow. He must have great compost. Everything was so lush. Shame there's no footage of the covered beds.
He had lots of experiments and posts with Christmas lights and various types of covering.  I could not find the ones that he was running when I first joined.  But he did a lot of research on season extension.  I use his method of using Christmas lights to try to heat up a hoop house.

Season Extension video - My hoop tunnel Hoop_h12

Last edited by yolos on 12/18/2019, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/18/2019, 8:20 pm

sanderson wrote:I have used the old fashion Christmas lights to provide heat under plastic covers.  They are also so pretty at night!
Yes, they are. Now you just have to put a cardboard Santa and Rudolph on the "roof" and you've gardened AND done Christmas decorations.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down