Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Toplef10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? I22gcj10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Toplef10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? I22gcj10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western mountains and high plains. Who's Planting What?

+7
CapeCoddess
RoOsTeR
Boz
Triciasgarden
Lillyz
Turan
cheyannarach
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Empty Western mountains and high plains. Who's Planting What?

Post  cheyannarach 4/4/2013, 11:31 am

Hi everybody, so after the nice big snow we got it has been very nice and I have had a bad case of spring fever Very Happy . It's still pretty early for planting here but I got ancy and planted some peas and carrots just to test it out. Hubby just sat there shaking his head at me Rolling Eyes but I said what the heck. Here's to hoping Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 3170584802 but if it doesn't work out I'll just replant them later.

I have also managed to kill two flats of seedlings by forgetting them outside over night silly me

What have you been planting?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Empty Re: Western mountains and high plains. Who's Planting What?

Post  Turan 4/4/2013, 2:05 pm

Ahh, I missed this thread Laughing

I gave in to the warmth and planted Chinese Snow peas yesterday. I am going to wait an other week or 3 to plant the rest of the peas.

The garlic is up.

When can I plant my grown from seed onions? It must be soon, though they still look like grass.

I have 3 types of broccoli in soil blocks on the window sill. THey are started spouting now.

I seeded oriental greens and spinach and radishes in one of the cold frames. I hope that works..... Any rate that spot is for peppers later in June, so the greens have time to do something.

I figure by planting I am triggering a blizzard. But we need the moisture....

YIPPEE it is time to grow stuff! cheers

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Empty re:

Post  Lillyz 4/4/2013, 3:14 pm

I planted the snow peas on 3/18 outside and are sprouting. Planted radish and lettuce seeds 3/28 outside. The radishes are starting to sprout.

I planted my begonias in containers and brought them in. The nicotania and moss rose has sprouted. Not getting very good germination with the impatiens and zero with the old leek seed.

The chives, mint, oregano, parsley and sage have sprouted.
Today Im going to plant bareroot Fort Laramie strawberries in a container. The looked doa, but I put them in a container filled with MM and water and now they are looking great!

The rest of my seed order should arrive today. I hope.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Empty Re: Western mountains and high plains. Who's Planting What?

Post  cheyannarach 4/4/2013, 3:25 pm

I think I am going to plant some snow peas when I get home! I planted sugar ann snap peas for now! We are all about the same temps so I am curious to see what grows! I was out yesterday and my Egyptian walking onions are up cheers (thanks Turan) and my horseradish is coming up!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 4/4/2013, 6:04 pm

snip
Turan wrote:I figure by planting I am triggering a blizzard. But we need the moisture....:
/snip

Turan, seems like here all it takes is to wash the car. Laughing
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/4/2013, 7:26 pm

Cheyanne I think your peas should be fine. Don't "they" (those that know) say to plant peas as soon as the soil can be worked in the Spring? So you are fine with the peas. I think lettuce would be ok for you too. I don't have enough experience with carrots to know. That's all I need is for my onions to go "walking" darn funny I have never heard of them before but I am not that experienced with onions!

Turan in the sfg book for onions it says to start indoors 8-12 weeks before last spring frost. Earliest outdoor planting is 4 weeks before last spring frost. See if you get a blizzard, you can just close up the cold frame, lol. You're prepared! Sounds like you are off to a great start! It IS nice to finally be able to get planting and share with people who understand how exciting it is!

Lilyz you sure got a lot planted and early! That is wonderful how much is already growing! Is your mint is a container or bed by itself? If I remember correctly, mint likes to spread and take over an area.

My Planting: On 3/31, in pony packs I planted 24 broccoli, three different types of tomatoes, cantaloupe, small sugar pumpkins, yellow summer squash, green summer squash, watermelon, cucumbers and sunflowers. It's too early to see any growth yet.

Yesterday (4/3) outside I planted 8 squares of peas, different types of lettuces, cabbage, spinach, beets, radishes, green onion seeds (bunching) and red onion bulbs. I will be cutting up my seed potatoes hopefully tonight and planting them the way Josh planted his, one layer, cover those and then plant another layer. I want to read the thread again before planting so I do it right.

I still have to clean out my messy garden area and get other beds ready. I just have to say isn't it wonderful how easy it is to get the beds ready for planting as opposed to rototilling! My sprained ankle is getting better and I am able to do quite a bit more than I thought I would be able to, but I would never have been able to use a rototiller! Sorry I got so long winded and strayed from topic!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 4/4/2013, 7:50 pm

Lilyz you sure got a lot planted and early! That is wonderful how much is already growing! Is your mint is a container or bed by itself? If I remember correctly, mint likes to spread and take over an area.

Tricia, actually this will be the first year I am trying to grow mint in this house. At my old house, I would let it get about 4' high and then take the lawn mower to it Very Happy I really dont like the way it tastes, so Im gonna grow it for summer (green stuff) compost ingredient.

My sprained ankle is getting better and I am able to do quite a bit more than I thought I would be able to, but I would never have been able to use a rototiller! Sorry I got so long winded and strayed from topic!

I slipped and fell and skinned my knee and twisted my ankle a couple of days ago too. Got a bruise on the knee, but the ankle is feeling alot better. Hope your ankle feels better too.

Lilly

Last edited by Lillyz on 4/4/2013, 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the quote)
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/4/2013, 11:37 pm

I came home to find that some one had decided to rearrange the garlic bed. They dug the whole thing up moved garlic every where and not planted very tidily either. I was going to glower at the puppy,,,,, but there are no paw prints and the dirt stayed in the bed. I think it was chickens. One gate was ajar. Sigh. Part of the spring ritual is learning to keep gates shut and chickens reminding me why. At least they left the peas alone.

Ok, I will wait one more month to plant the onions out. By then maybe they will look less like baby chives.

Good to hear about all the plantings happening Smile
Tricia and Lilyz, try to keep on the top of your feet..... here is to healing ankles! cheers

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/5/2013, 2:52 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:Cheyanne I think your peas should be fine. Don't "they" (those that know) say to plant peas as soon as the soil can be worked in the Spring? So you are fine with the peas. I think lettuce would be ok for you too. I don't have enough experience with carrots to know. That's all I need is for my onions to go "walking" darn funny I have never heard of them before but I am not that experienced with onions!

Josh did a rookie topic on them last year and Turan sent me some! Fist thing to come up so far Very Happy I hadn't heard of them until then. Now I want to go plant some lettuce! I checked the weather for the next ten days and after next Tuesday it is supposed to start averaging right around freezing for a low so I think next weekend I am going to try out a few more cole crops to see what I get. Never know if you don't try right! Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 3170584802
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/5/2013, 6:58 pm

Cheyanne, I keep forgetting that you stay freezing longer than I do! You do have great success with your garden though! That's right, never know if you don't try!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 4/5/2013, 8:14 pm

I got my seed order yesterday and planted leeks last night. This is new seed so I shouldnt have a problem with it germinating. Only a month to go for the last frost date!!! Yipee!!! I am gonna have to start looking around the house for more flats/containers to start the rest of seeds in.

Its about 75F right now and a little breezy. I think I have a micro climate in my yard around zone 6a or 6b. The daylilies and some of the daffodils are starting to show out of the ground. The irises and a peony that I planted a few years ago are going to get moved. I dont think they like where they are, probably a little further north in my back yard.

I pretty much took off the plastic on one of my sf beds. Thats the one with the peas and radishes showing. I think with how warm its been, I dont want the plants to get too hot.

On another thread somewhere I complained about Burpee's seed starting mix. After I posted to that thread, I emailed Burpee and told them what happened with the mix. They refunded the money I spent on the mix!!! That wasnt what I was expecting and it was a nice surprise. Soooo... I figured ok I got the extra money now I can buy more seeds/plants Very Happy
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/6/2013, 7:43 pm

Wow, that was honorable of Burpee! I have always thought of Burpee as having a good reputation and good seeds.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz 4/6/2013, 9:58 pm

Planted lettuce, spinach, radish and shallots today. Hope they don't freeze in the snow Tuesday.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/6/2013, 10:04 pm

It was hard not to plant anything on such a beautiful day, but I think I'll wait at least one more week before planting outside Smile It's tough holding off though on days like today!

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz 4/6/2013, 10:14 pm

I could not resit. I will cover them Tuesday night and hope for the best.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 4/14/2013, 1:56 pm

It was last week that it got really, really cold. The high winds made one of the covers for the sfg bed fly against the fence, I tried putting it back but the pvc was too rigid, I kinda covered it with plastic. Anyway, I thought that my peas and radishes were a loss. So I pretty much neglected them since they were touched by a hard frost. I even went out and bought more seed. Today I went out to the compost bin and noticed a little bit of green. Had to take a closer look and the peas had made it. Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Img_1417 I will replant more radishes/spinach and lettuce today.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/14/2013, 2:54 pm

Snow peas show their strength!
Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 3170584802

I am waiting to see if mine do as well before I seed any more.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/20/2013, 11:28 pm

It is Earth Day, or maybe it is EarthDay Eve. Razz

I planted a Evans Bali sour cherry. They are supposed to be very hardy. Here is to hoping for cherry pie someday.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? Empty re: Western mountains and high plains. Who's planting What?

Post  Lillyz 4/21/2013, 12:11 am

Planted a Don Juan climbing rose bush. Found a use for the "plan A" 5 gallon container that I had cut bottom off. I used it to surround the canes of the rose bush. Thinking about buying a huge container for the other rose bush thats sleeping in my garage. I guess its time for some shopping therapy Very Happy .

Replanted the peony that I dug up making room for the rose bush. Hope it likes it new spot better. Finding what I think is quackgrass in my flower beds or some kind of perennial grass that is not bluegrass.

Watered the peas and hoping for more radishes. None of the spinach, lettuce or carrots have germinated yet.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/28/2013, 11:40 am

I was going to go ahead and plant radish, lettuce, bok choy, kohlrabi, turnips etc today, till I looked at the extended forcast. Now I think I'll just wait another week. Embarassed

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 3708912693

I could throw up my lil hoop house if it was just going to dip a bit below freezing, but down to the low 20's just isn't worth it to me anymore. So I wait...

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/28/2013, 4:01 pm

I think you take the prize for the weirdest weather, Rooster!! That's crazy.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/30/2013, 12:12 pm

ROoster, I reached the same conclusions last weekend. I was all set to do lots of plantings of cool weather stuff. I had planted test patches of radishes and snow peas a couple weeks ago and I saw that they were not sprouting so that gave me pause. Then I checked the weather prognosis, similar as yours.

We have been getting a lot of wind lately, as if the heavens are battling out between Summer and Winter. Yesterday the wind was up a level and piercing cold. It managed to fatigue break the aluminum frame of one of my bought cold frames. Thankfully the Juwel cold frame did just fine and the lettuce and other greens sprouted in it are growing well giving me hopes for early salad.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  newtgirl 4/30/2013, 9:07 pm

Lows are still hovering in the mid-to-upper 20's next week. I feel like spring is never coming! I was a little hesitant on starting seeds since there was still feet of snow on the ground, so I held off (May 15th is my frost date). Now I'm afraid summer's going to get here faster than I thought! Learning curve, right?

Most of the yard has finally melted, including the drift in front of the shed door. Snowmelt contributed to a fair bit of flooding up this way. And I hear Saskatchewan just got a bunch more snow. We'll see how much water they let out of the dams.

newtgirl
newtgirl

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/5/2013, 10:19 am

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? 1861135954

I'm going for it! I am going to try my darndest to get some lettuces, spinach, kohlrabi, turnips and bok choi seeds in the ground TODAY! I also need to get my impulse bought onion sets in and transplant my brussel sprouts. cyclops

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/5/2013, 1:40 pm

It looks like we are a "GO"! Out to the garden with a flat of broccoli to transplant and pea seeds and carrot seeds bounce bounce bounce

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next