Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? Toplef10Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? I22gcj10Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? Toplef10Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? I22gcj10Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting?

+10
boffer
Triciasgarden
walshevak
Goosegirl
johnp
southern gardener
donnainzone5
cheyannarach
Turan
RoOsTeR
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? Empty Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting?

Post  RoOsTeR 8/11/2013, 3:23 pm

Minus a few things here and there, my garden is starting to put out!

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 20130811_115952_zpsa6ded4d4
Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 20130811_115942_zpsd9d402b0
Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 20130811_115934_zpsad02b768
Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 20130811_115929_zps70a19b7d
Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 20130811_115921_zps65be2051

Kind of starts making it all worth it Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 3170584802 

What are you getting from your garden in the Western Mountains and High Plains region?

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? Empty Re: Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting?

Post  Turan 8/11/2013, 4:52 pm

Looks yummy there, ROoster.  My harvest is similar to yours~
 Chard,
lettuce and peas and broccoli still,
Beans are coming on now
Beets and carrots and garlic just got harvested
peppers
eggplant
cherry and Stupice tomatoes and a few bigger ones starting
Zuccini, and other summer squash

The tomatillos are covered with lanterns but it will be a bit yet before they are ready.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? Empty Re: Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting?

Post  cheyannarach 8/27/2013, 9:37 am

Gosh I am cutesie ! Those harvests look and sound AH-Mazing! After our hail storms had shredded my entire garden I had basically given up that it was too late for anything to make a comeback and I was out there just the other day and found a few new zukes and yellow crooknecks, my cukes started producing, and I even found one tomato plant with a few tomatoes started. It wasn't much but it made my day Very Happy 
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/27/2013, 10:53 am

Lettuce and peas (still); some potatoes; beans, Stupice tomatoes (that plant is loaded!); zucchini and yellow crookneck squash; strawberries; sorrel; a cucumber.

Coming soon: The last of my Carrot Week carrots; corn; more potatoes, cukes, and tomatoes.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/27/2013, 11:31 am

cheyannarach wrote:Gosh I am cutesie !  Those harvests look and sound AH-Mazing!  After our hail storms had shredded my entire garden I had basically given up that it was too late for anything to make a comeback and I was out there just the other day and found a few new zukes and yellow crooknecks, my cukes started producing, and I even found one tomato plant with a few tomatoes started.  It wasn't much but it made my day Very Happy 
Congrats! It sure is amazing how those shredded pounded into pesto gardens can make a comeback! Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 3170584802 

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/27/2013, 12:09 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Gosh I am cutesie !  Those harvests look and sound AH-Mazing!  After our hail storms had shredded my entire garden I had basically given up that it was too late for anything to make a comeback and I was out there just the other day and found a few new zukes and yellow crooknecks, my cukes started producing, and I even found one tomato plant with a few tomatoes started.  It wasn't much but it made my day Very Happy 
That's funny!!  Maybe you should go out periodically and blast your garden?? get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi get that pesky wabbi
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 8/27/2013, 12:19 pm

Paste tomatoes and cukes by the bunch. Second planting of golden beets, lettuce and radishes. The sweet Italian peppers along with the bells have been the best we've ever grown (large and meaty). Picked three eggplants yesterday for grilling tonight. Have a fairly steady supply of Black from Tula toms (best) and better boys. Cherries are winding down.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/27/2013, 2:50 pm

Haha, Southern Gardner, hmmm I wonder if a BB gun would do the trick!

John P sounds like you are having quite the feasts! Enjoy that eggplant hungry 
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/1/2013, 9:30 pm

O my it is SEPTEMBER 1! First frost date is usually Sept 7 Shocked 

This weekend I put up 7 pints of roasted tomatoes, 17 cups of salsa, 2 pints of dilly beans. Then I blanched and froze 2 pounds of green beans and an 3.5 lbs of chard. There is an armload of broccoli to yet freeze and the counter is covered with more tomatoes and peppers and summer squash.

I bought a kitchen scale this summer. I am not sure I really like finding out how little an arm load of chard weighs rofl 

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/2/2013, 1:11 am

Sounds awesome Turan!!  I just got done canning 18 pints of pickled beets and tomorrow I am trying to figure out canned green beans.  I have a glass top stove so I am not supposed to pressure can on it, do ou have any pointers!?!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/2/2013, 7:32 am

Turan wrote:O my it is SEPTEMBER 1!  First frost date is usually Sept 7 Shocked
Turan - I am right behind you.  Our first frost date is Sept 16.  It's been a HOT August, but NWS says right now it is 44.  Winter's a comin'!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/2/2013, 12:08 pm

Yup, winter is a coming but before it does I hope we have some good long Indian summer to grow more cool weather crops.
My chinese snow peas are blooming and producing again. The broccoli got pruned and some is making biggish sprouts again. Enough that I have some to freeze again.
There is a last planting of beets and carrots and bok choi and cilantro up. I hope to cover some of that with a cold frame when the eggplant is done.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/3/2013, 7:29 am

cheyannarach wrote:Sounds awesome Turan!!  I just got done canning 18 pints of pickled beets and tomorrow I am trying to figure out canned green beans.  I have a glass top stove so I am not supposed to pressure can on it, do ou have any pointers!?!

My Whirlpool glass top says ok for canning and I bought a pressure canner that says ok for glass top stoves. But I haven't had the courage or the need to use it yet except for water bath canning.

Do you have a gas grill that is sturdy enough to hold that size pot of water. My son water bath cans on his using a deep stock pot. Small batches only.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/3/2013, 7:12 pm

I don't have a burner but my father in law has a turkey fryer, I wonder if that would work?  I have water bathed but that's it!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/3/2013, 7:26 pm

I do our canning on a glass top stove. Lol, I guess didn't know better or even think about it Very Happy 
I was curious:
http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/3/2013, 7:29 pm

That's funny Rooster, I would probably be just fine if I hadn't heard not to do it either but now I am just being a bit of a chicken...  Thanks for the link Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/3/2013, 7:35 pm

Haha! Now that I know, my top will probably crack  Laughing

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 9/3/2013, 9:33 pm

Tomatoes and at least one zucchini and/or yellow squash every day

Corn.  We have had five meals and I have four ears blanched and frozen.  It was my first time to blanch and freeze corn so I had to announce it!

Green peppers and jalapeno peppers.

Parsley, basil and rosemary.

I picked two red potatoes (smaller than a marble, lol) that were above the ground, washed them and ate them right there.  The plants are dying back so I am hoping for a harvest soon!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/4/2013, 8:16 pm

Sounds fabulous Tricia!!!  Congrats on the corn Western Mountains and High Plains: What are you harvesting? 3170584802 !  

Sorry Rooster, lol, now you are going to be paranoid the next time you can!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/4/2013, 8:31 pm

cheyannarach wrote:I don't have a burner but my father in law has a turkey fryer, I wonder if that would work?...
I just looked at several  turkey fryers for sale online, and they are in the 35,000 to 40,000 BTU range.  Several years ago I bought two propane burners that are about 55,000 BTU each, and they work great for both pressure canning and water bathing.  Based on that, I'm sure your FIL's fryer would work just fine.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/5/2013, 12:44 pm

Thank you Boffer! I am now anxious to try it!!! Very Happy b
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 9/8/2013, 11:40 pm

For me, today I got to harvest, in between the rain clouds that is, one lonely pea and a carrot for my youngest son and a carrot and two really tiny radishes for my oldest son. They weren't allowed to go to the garden with me because it was thundering and lightening. They stood at the door watching me walk down the street crying. So I had to bring back something for them.

I have plenty of tomatoes, green beans, peppers, and pumpkins to pick but waiting for my boys to help me.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/9/2013, 7:10 pm

I have been eating quickie sweet corn from my father in law's garden, I gave him the seeds so he's been sharing!  It is sooo yummy and I cook it in the microwave (can't remember who posted that video here)  but it turns out great everytime!  I also finished a jar of pickled beets today with the kids hungry
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/9/2013, 11:16 pm

It has not frosted yet. I am keeping my fingers/toes/teeth crossed hoping for yet one more week......

I put up another peck of beans and tomatoes last weekend. Some of the dry beans are showing signs of maturity. Not sure yet on the corn, I am letting it mature on the stalks a while yet. Probably until a hard frost comes. Still picking broccoli side sprouts. The peas are producing again, not a lot but enough to snack on.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz 9/10/2013, 2:59 pm

Picked some tomatoes, Oxheart and Pink Brandywine. They are in the dehydrator now.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next