Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Frost! Toplef10First Frost! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Frost! I22gcj10First Frost! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Frost! Toplef10First Frost! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Frost! I22gcj10First Frost! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

First Frost!

+10
littlejo
countrynaturals
brianj555
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
plantoid
CapeCoddess
Turan
happycamper
donnainzone5
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First Frost! Empty First Frost!

Post  donnainzone5 9/19/2013, 10:17 am

It froze this morning! The rooftops turned white, although I think my plants avoided much damage.

Two nights ago, I got nervous about the predictions of temps in the mid-to-high 30s and covered what I could with a hodge-podge of materials--old sheets and blankets, a tarp, last year's frost cloth, etc. Everything looked fine yesterday, but I'll wait a few hours to uncover and inspect today.

Well, at least our first frost date was 12 days late!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

First Frost! Empty RE: First Frost!

Post  happycamper 9/19/2013, 5:25 pm

I am so glad you were able to cover your garden.  I hope everything survived.  Nights are getting cool here, quilts are back on the bed, windows are closed at night, one air conditioner has been stored and I will be closing the storm windows soon.  Fall is here!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

First Frost! Empty Re: First Frost!

Post  donnainzone5 9/19/2013, 5:36 pm

So far, so good! Nothing froze, possibly because freezing temps arrived after sunrise. And, of course, my irrigation system triggered itself around that time. Although I specified no overhead watering to the irrigation guy, it doesn't quite work that way.

FYI, I monitor FOUR weather websites each day, including Weather Channel's agricultural section. I've been tracking temps since mid-June, so, if I average the predictions and subract (or add) several degrees, I have a fair idea of what to expect.

I'm tempted to move my basil and sage indoors. Opinions?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/19/2013, 11:32 pm

In my experience basil is unable to handle frost at all, so I would bring it in. Sage is hardier but I do not know how much so.

We just missed a frost last night, the clouds hung around until dawn protecting us. Tonight the moon is bright and glorious and I think there is no chance to miss a frost. I just picked stuff and tucked close the cold frames and greenhouse tonight.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 9/20/2013, 1:12 am

I would bring the Basil indoors.  I had always thought Sage was hardy to Zone 4 but I think it depends on the variety.  You could always start more next year if it doesn't overwinter and you don't want to bring it in.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/20/2013, 11:50 am

Thanks for your comments about my herbs! The basil did survive the 28-degree frost we had yesterday morning, but only because I had it covered.

To be on the safe side (I MUST have fresh sage for my holiday turkey stuffing), I'll transplant soon. So far, the forecasts look relatively safe for the next few days, but I'll watch and sniff the air like a hawk.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/20/2013, 12:07 pm

This is good to know about the basil.  I had no idea and mine's growing like gangbusters.  I'll bring some in along with the parsley.

Does oregano transplant and grow for winter?  I love fresh oregano! I love you 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/20/2013, 12:10 pm

CC,

I believe that oregano may overwinter, but I think I'll move mine inside soon. It's one of several herbs that thrive indoors.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/20/2013, 12:20 pm

Oh, oregano definitely overwinters here dying back & popping up in spring double size.  Shocked
But I'll take some inside also just to have it fresh and hope it works.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/20/2013, 12:50 pm

Light frost last night. Just enough to wilt the big leaves on the winter squash. Everything else looks fine.

Any one know if I should cut and bring the field corn stalks with ears in to finish maturing? Or will just bringing the ears in work?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/20/2013, 1:05 pm

Turan,

I've been wondering much the same thing about corn.

Here's something I tried the other night: I placed garden gloves on some of the more mature ears to keep them warmer. I don't know whether this trick will help, but I plan to keep trying it until the experiment either fails or succeeds.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/20/2013, 4:47 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:Turan,

I've been wondering much the same thing about corn.

Here's something I tried the other night:  I placed garden gloves on some of the more mature ears to keep them warmer.  I don't know whether this trick will help, but I plan to keep trying it until the experiment either fails or succeeds.  
Give it a bit of thought and artistic intent and you could have a brill Halloween display of the corn monster playing goalie / saving a goal  in a Halloween game of soccer
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/20/2013, 6:07 pm

We have oregano growing wild out here, so it must overwinter pretty well. Mint and rosemary too. I don't know if thyme is naturalized here, but it's supposed to be really tough and a perennial. My basil died last winter.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/20/2013, 7:42 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:We have oregano growing wild out here, so it must overwinter pretty well.  Mint and rosemary too.  I don't know if thyme is naturalized here, but it's supposed to be really tough and a perennial.  My basil died last winter.
Basil is very sensitive (unusual for a mint relative).  If it even hears a weather report forecasting frost it will turn black! 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

First Frost! Empty Could be??? 37 tomorrow night!

Post  brianj555 11/18/2017, 12:37 pm

I learned during the hurricane “Nate” that you can do more damage to your plants trying to protect them than good.  It’s supposed to hit 37 degrees tomorrow night.  I still have many full size tomatoes preparing to break red, many mid size and very small ones that are still growing and many blooms on the vine . ( 30 + tomaotes) I’m not really fooling myself into thinking that the really small ones will probably ever reach maturity , but the mid size one’s might and the full size one’s should. Basically , the largest best looking tomaotes I have had so far should be turning in the next week or so.  I do realize we are dead on my first projected frost date and no further than 3 weeks away from the first projected frost date depending on the source.
So,  at 37 degrees based on all the variables, what do you guys think would be best to do?  
I could cover them again and or set an ocilating heater a couple feet away ( this is mainly what I’m wondering about.  Is putting a heater near them a big “no no”? Or could it help??). At 37 is either of those necessary?  Or on the more intensive side, is it time to pull them and hang them in the garage?  ( def not what I’m wanting to do just yet but I will). 
First Frost! 3e5fdb10
I asked some of these same questions about 3 weeks ago and you guys have some great advice, but with it later in the year and with winter getting closer and closer, I thought I would put it on the table again and see what y’all thought I should do .  I appreciate any help.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/18/2017, 12:52 pm

I had quite a few tomatoes late in the summer.  The ones with even a slight blush ripened well, after being picked and brought inside.

However, the ones that were tiny and/or still totally green did not ripen or survive the frost--even the ones in the greenhouse.  

We'd had a later summer, following a cool, wet spring.  Once summer actually arrived in July, the temps often were above 90F or below 50F, which of course inhibited blossoming and fruiting.

Perhaps next year will be better....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:41 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:I had quite a few tomatoes late in the summer.  The ones with even a slight blush ripened well, after being picked and brought inside.

However, the ones that were tiny and/or still totally green did not ripen or survive the frost--even the ones in the greenhouse.  

We'd had a later summer, following a cool, wet spring.  Once summer actually arrived in July, the temps often were above 90F or below 50F, which of course inhibited blossoming and fruiting.

Perhaps next year will be better....
Sad "Perhaps next year will be better...." That's what I say every year too, but so far, no luck. I also tried to grow tomatoes in Oregon, starting with plants from our daughter, who was living in Ca at the time. The plants already had blossoms and green fruit when I got them from her in June. When I threw them away in October, they had bigger green fruit, but not a single one ever ripened. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/18/2017, 2:07 pm

Hmmm....

I wonder if pumping some extra CO2 into a greenhouse would facilitate tomato ripening.  It's a fact that it does enhance plant growth.  

In my own situation, I can't grow tomatoes in the greenhouse until and unless I install shade cloth.  Otherwise, any plant will bake in the heat (up to 120F).
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/18/2017, 9:23 pm

Brian, I don't know your specific weather, but I live in 8 to 8.5 and we have a couple cold nights, warm days, then it gets in the 40's at night, etc. It doesn't stay cold at night til Jan. or Feb.
I think I'd gather leaves if poss. or pine straw and pile it on the plants at the base. If you can keep there feet from freezing, they should survive. If you don't get this deep mulch off the plant in the heat, it will not kill the plant like a blanket or cover.

I had a terrible yr. for tomatoes, but, I have cukes, limas, eggplant, and bell peppers. I picked a WM bag full of peppers today and they are still blooming. I have never thought of bell peppers as a fall crop but they seem to love the cool weather.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/19/2017, 10:18 am

Thanks.  So what do you guys think about the heater ?  I am trying to protect/ focus on protecting a 4 x 4 area with 5 tomato plants and various other cool weather crops. If using an ocilating heater isn’t a BIG “no no” I was planning on putting it under a table about two feet away .  I don’t even know if this is necessary at 37 degrees, but I am curious.  I will be covering them regardless.  It’s supposed to get to 39 about 2 am and then hit 37 about 6 am.  The local weather station is calling for a “light frost”.
First Frost! Ce5c6f10
First Frost! 00491210
First Frost! Bfc08810
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/19/2017, 3:06 pm

Brian, I gotta tell you, I am concerned that even though it's moving, you're gonna burn your plants with that heater only 2 feet away from them...... If I put a heater in the greenhouse, it'll be at least 6 feet away from the plants. I want them warm, but not toasted, lol. :-)

Keep in mind that I have not used an oscillating fan personally. Can anyone jump in here that has experience?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/19/2017, 4:19 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Brian, I gotta tell you, I am concerned that even though it's moving, you're gonna burn your plants with that heater only 2 feet away from them......  If I put a heater in the greenhouse, it'll be at least 6 feet away from the plants.  I want them warm, but not toasted, lol.  :-)

Keep in mind that I have not used an oscillating fan personally.  Can anyone jump in here that has experience?
Thanks.  I agree.   I pretty much decided just to go with this,  I thoroughly watered the soil and then covered. 
First Frost! 1a76fb10
What cha think?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 4:46 pm

Covering looks good, Brian - I was about to echo AtlantaMarie's concerns. If you still have the manual you will likely find the instructions say to have flammable objects at least 3 feet away from the front of the heater rather than 2... as well as an admonishment that says (capitalization emphasis is as in the manual, not added by me) "DO NOT use Heater outdoors."

The most temperature sensitive part of tomatoes is blossom set, which stops around 50-55*F depending on what page you look at. Since you're just looking to get what you have more ripe, that's not a problem. Your covers should be enough to keep the plants above 40*F for the night, which is the temperature I've seen listed as the minimum tomatoes will tolerate. Mine have seemed ok after no-frost evenings that went below 40*F -- but there's variables like how long it's cold for, how hot it got that day (how much heat has been 'saved up'), whether it's clear or cloudy... and what the *actual* temperature/conditions were in my garden. There was one morning when I got up before it started to warm and looked out: I could see that the grass in my backyard was frosty right up to a few feet from my garden fence. (I think that was after the tomatoes already got frost-bit, but still.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your tomatoes, but I think the cover will do its job. I've been impressed by how much a cover did to protect my peppers. Let us know how it goes!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/19/2017, 5:25 pm

I tried the heater thing one year.  But I only went out to the garden at the time the temp became a problem and stuck a much smaller heater in a small opening and left it there about 15 minutes to warm up the inside of the tented tomatoes.  Worked okay but who wants to go running out to the garden in the wee hours of the morning so I only did it a few times.

My best protection was to build a tent around the tomatoes such as you have done.  But I also put old timey Christmas lights (that get warm, not LED)  around the tomato cage and then covered up the tomatoes with a tent made of 6 mil plastic.  It worked like a charm and all I had to do was plug the lights in before I went to bed and unplugged them when I woke in the morning.  I also pulled the plastic back when the temp moderated a bit so they could get full sun for part of the day.  Here is a picture of what i did last year.  The picture of the tomato with the ripe tomatoes on the vine was taken on 12/31/16.  

First Frost! Tomato13

First Frost! Tomato14

First Frost! Greenh10
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/19/2017, 5:49 pm

Thanks beetles , yolos joe and Marie.
Those are some pretty big tomaotes you’ve got there yolos.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next