Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. Toplef10Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. I22gcj10Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. Toplef10Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. I22gcj10Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads..

+7
llama momma
Goosegirl
FamilyGardening
quiltbea
southern gardener
yolos
Windmere
11 posters

Go down

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. Empty Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads..

Post  Windmere 4/5/2014, 8:47 pm

Yesterday I harvested all of my winter kale.  This photo is a bit deceptive in that there is A LOT of kale here... it's about eight inches or more deep:

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. 01110

On the left side is Red Russian Kale.  The variety originally came from Siberia and it is hearty to up to -10 F. 

The seeds came from Seed Savers Exchange:

http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/kale/Kale-Red-Russian-OG.html

The flavor of this kale is sweet (evidently frost causes this variety to sweeten).  Our family LOVES it.  The stems are even sweeter than the leaf.  My daughter and I chew on the fibrous stems like sugar cane.  The more tender parts of the stems are very easy to eat.

To the right of the Red Russian is Dwarf Blue Kale from Botanical Interests.  It is also super cold hearty and to me it tastes a bit like broccoli.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPLXWZU/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally, on the right bottom corner is Levewa Spinach.  This is a very tender variety with a delicious flavor (has a bit of a tart bite).  This also came from Botanical Interests.  This spinach came out with the kale because they were planted close to each other.  I think I still have some mileage on the remaining spinach before it's time to plant something else where it presently stands.  This variety is supposed to be heat resistant.

We have been eating off of our kale and spinach all winter long... it's delicious in salads.  Example of one of my special family dinner winter salads below (my wife took some of the rainbow carrots and also made ribbons with a potato peeler).  Lettuce is made up of some store-bought romaine lettuce as well as some of my own cool variety microgreens (my own winter pansies added for color):

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. 03510

Today I used my final kale harvest to make my Cod and Kale Soup.  Our family can't get enough of it and the crop of Red Russian Kale gives it a new and wonderful flavor.  I also put in celery, onions, potatoes and great north beans.

Last edited by Windmere on 4/5/2014, 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some additional text)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. Empty Re: Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads..

Post  yolos 4/5/2014, 9:06 pm

Looking good Windmere
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. Empty Re: Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads..

Post  southern gardener 4/5/2014, 9:59 pm

windmere, beautiful! I eat our kale, but can't say i really enjoy it. I guess it doesn't get cold enough around here to make it sweet, but it sure grows well and is soooo good for you. That pic of your salad is gorgeous! Mind if I copy it?
Nice job!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/5/2014, 11:50 pm

Love the pictures.  It gives us northerners hope that we'll be harvesting crops from our own gardens in the next couple of months, even if its just lettuce, radishes and greens.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/5/2014, 11:53 pm

wow what a very creative and beautiful salad your wife made for your family!!! Thank you for sharing some pics with us!

we noticed our kale flowers have a broccoli flavor to them and enjoy those over fresh kale.....

we were able to dehydrate 2 pints full of kale, 1 pint full of swiss chard and 2 quarts of cabbage last year from the garden....it was wonderful to add to stews, soups and casseroles over the winter and now our new baby chicks are enjoying these dehydrated treats as well  Very Happy 

for some reason we like the kale and swiss chard dehydrated over fresh.....not sure why?? maybe because of smaller pieces as we run it thru the blender before putting it into the glass jars.....

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/6/2014, 8:27 am

Beautiful salad and harvest Windmere!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/6/2014, 8:36 am

Great color combo in the second picture!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Move over winter kale... spring vegetables coming in soon! - Shifting from winter salads to spring salads.. Empty Thanks so much

Post  Windmere 4/6/2014, 9:07 am

Thank you all for your kind comments.  Each positive result gives motivation to try even more varieties!

FamilyGardening... I would love to try dehydrating some of my kale.  None left now, but I will try next season!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/6/2014, 1:20 pm

Nice looking kale!

I grew the dwarf blue kale from Botanical Interests that you did, too, but all of it either failed to germinate or never got over an inch, then died, except for a I think two plants which are only just now a few inches high. Our winter got down to 15 degrees, which I thought they were supposed to be able to handle, but I guess not.

Love the flowers in your salad.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/6/2014, 2:08 pm

Gorgeous looking salad!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 4/6/2014, 4:46 pm

You have been keeping secrets from us! WOW! What an awesome looking harvest and great job you have done. I may have to come visit you for some lessons  Smile 
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/6/2014, 5:18 pm

REALLY nice, Windmere!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down