Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Toplef10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas I22gcj10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Toplef10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas I22gcj10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas

+8
countrynaturals
yolos
Kelejan
Yardslave
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
NHGardener
sanderson
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Empty August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas

Post  sanderson 7/28/2014, 1:04 am

Anyone brave enough to go outside in August, here's Gardenate's August planting suggestions:

Planting in August

Beans - climbing
(also Pole beans, Runner beans, Scarlet Runners) Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
Beans - dwarf
(also French beans, Bush beans) Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
Broccoli Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
Capsicum
(also Bell peppers, Sweet peppers) Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
Cauliflower Start undercover in seed trays and plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from January.
Cowpeas
(also Black eye peas) Plant in garden. Harvest from December.
Cucumber Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
Onion Plant in garden. Harvest from March.
Pumpkin Plant in garden. Harvest from December.
Salsify
(also Vegetable oyster) Plant in garden. Harvest from December.
Squash
(also Crookneck, Pattypan, Summer squash) Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
Tomato Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
Turnip Plant in garden. Harvest from October.
Watermelon Plant in garden. Harvest from November.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Empty Re: August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas

Post  NHGardener 7/28/2014, 2:11 pm

Sanderson - I'll jump over here to ask you this. Smile

OOPS - I was just going to ask you if you were allowed to catch rainwater and use that for your garden, when I remembered that you don't HAVE any rainwater. Duh. But if/when it does rain, can you do that to supplement your watering supply?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Empty Re: August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/28/2014, 2:40 pm

Well... several of the items listed would freeze just about when they're ready to pick - Pumpkins in December - I DON'T THINK SO, LOL!  

However, I am getting my seedlings started this week and am planting some things in my greenhouse this year to see if I can coax them through at least the first freeze and into Late dec or jan.  I want to try some zucchini in there.  I already have a spaghetti squash, cucumbers and my salsa makings going thanks to my shade cover they're all doing well.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/28/2014, 2:42 pm

NHG - So far, there isn't any regulation against catching water. I have a small backyard so rain barrels are out. Besides, it would have to rain really hard to clean off the roof of the sticky pollution buildup before collecting any.

We used to get 8-10" of rain annually, but we have been in a severe drought. The water level has dropped so wells have to be deepened, etc. Mountain rain/snow water is not ours, necessarily. Most gets sent to the San Francisco area. Just water politics. We have to buy canal water and treat it to supplement the ground well water. The only real salvation will be rain. Rain to soak the ground and enough to start recharging the ground water to make any difference. A few good years. Apparently, we are having a worst drought than the Oklahoma dust bowl.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/28/2014, 2:44 pm

Audrey,  I'm just the messenger.   Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/28/2014, 4:17 pm

sanderson - "Okie Revenge" I've heard it referred to. Smile

Hoping the best for your moisture levels. And I hope deep mulch is one of the answers! If it is, all of California should consider it.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/28/2014, 9:03 pm

sanderson wrote:Audrey,  I'm just the messenger.   Very Happy
I know, just had to rib ya! I'm listed as anywhere from 9a down to 8a, but my experience the last 3 years anyway is that we hit the low 20s for at least one stretch in the winter. Sooooo, no beans, watermelon, pumpkin or..... for this girl!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/28/2014, 9:21 pm

Maybe these are for the Coastal areas?? This region has a wide range of Zones so one has to plant accordingly.

I know you were just ribbing.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/29/2014, 12:47 am

NHGardener wrote:sanderson - "Okie Revenge" I've heard it referred to. Smile

Hoping the best for your moisture levels. And I hope deep mulch is one of the answers! If it is, all of California should consider it.

I've heard of people being threatened with fines for watering too much, when all they've got is really good mulching, but I wonder how often that really happens. That would be the system really shooting itself in the foot!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/29/2014, 12:49 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
sanderson wrote:Audrey,  I'm just the messenger.   Very Happy
I know, just had to rib ya! I'm listed as anywhere from 9a down to 8a, but my experience the last 3 years anyway is that we hit the low 20s for at least one stretch in the winter. Sooooo, no beans, watermelon, pumpkin or..... for this girl!

Beans can produce so fast, though -- planted now, you could start harvesting in the beginning of October. That's already too late for you?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/29/2014, 1:27 am

As a matter of fact, I planted Kentucky Wonder and Missouri Wonder about 10-14 days ago in an older bed and they are almost to the trellises.  They almost look picture perfect!

I will be starting some peppers but they will go into the green house this winter to have a head start for next year,
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/29/2014, 2:25 pm

I actually already have lots of beans planted including in my greenhouse (to extend them).

I pulled up a lot that was growing in there last night and am planning for my fall/winter harvests.  I have to think about what I want to grow and get it planted now.  

I planted a lot of lettuce starts yesterday, some radishes, some onions, cabbage and chinese cabbage.  

I pulled up a tomato in my greenhouse that has been producing for 18 months!  It gave me probably 50-100 lbs of tomatoes.  It was amazing, but finally spent!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/29/2014, 3:11 pm

i8 months is a long time! Congrats.

We are headed out to Pismo Beach and won't be back until Thursday night. DH wants to ride the dunes. I've quit that activity to spare my back for gardening and grandkiddies. There are 3 good places I love to eat, Italian, fish and Mikes or Bob's, something like that down by the wharf. for a lighter but good meal. Corn and beans are sprouting in the TTs. I just hope everything is in decent shape when I get back. Worry, worry.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/29/2014, 8:21 pm

I pulled up a tomato in my greenhouse that has been producing for 18 months!  It gave me probably 50-100 lbs of tomatoes.  It was amazing, but finally spent!

That's pretty great. Did you keep any seeds?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/31/2014, 8:35 pm

It's funny on the tomato. It was from a pack of roma tomatoes I bought at a nursery but it wasn't a roma. I have a couple of the tomatoes still left in the kitchen so keeping some seed is a good idea. It wasn't anything special just a generic tomato but it survived aphids several times, some black mildewy attack in the moisture of the winter. Nothing would kill it, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/2/2014, 9:16 pm

Cherish, cuddle and name those 2 Romas. It would be a neat experiment if you grew a couple plants next year from these seeds. "Audrey's Perennial Genetic Tomato."
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/3/2014, 12:26 am

sanderson wrote:Cherish, cuddle and name those 2 Romas.  It would be a neat experiment if you grew a couple plants next year from these seeds.  "Audrey's Perennial Genetic Tomato."
I still have one of the plants left growing, maybe I should root one of the suckers and start a clone  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/3/2014, 12:51 am

Or 2, or 3 . . .
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/4/2014, 9:04 pm

I got a Black Krim to over-winter last season. Cut it back, cover it, and protect it from the cold and you may get lucky.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/4/2014, 10:57 pm

I checked what remains of said tomato plant and the suckers are too small to take off just yet - only 5-6 inches and one set of leaves.  I'll check back in a week or so.  

In the meantime, I'm going to start some of these tomatoes, you have to read what these tomatoes can do, they're amazing:
http://www.mcssl.com/store/calebwarnock/tomatoes/snow-fairy-tomatoes

They can stand temps down to 28 degrees if you keep any frost from forming on them.  My greenhouse will do that, so I'll have fresh tomatoes again all year around.  I have one of these plants growing outside in my SFG table top.  I didn't think ahead when I planted it.  Where it is there is no way to protect it from frost as it's supported by a metal grid trellis that will conduct the cold through it.  DARN!  Oh well, live and learn!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/5/2014, 2:22 am

sanderson wrote:Cherish, cuddle and name those 2 Romas.  It would be a neat experiment if you grew a couple plants next year from these seeds.  "Audrey's Perennial Genetic Tomato."
I still have one of the plants left growing, maybe I should root one of the suckers and start a clone  Very Happy

I think tomato clones are a good way to increase your stock and to make sure that they run true to the parent (sister or brother tomato.) Maybe that is the only way if the original is not a heritage plant.  Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/5/2014, 10:00 pm

I also cleaned up my cherry tomato in the greenhouse today and will start pruning it back for the winter in a month or so.   I have one I planted in a pot that I "think" is a snow fairy *deep sigh*  When will I ever realize I cannot depend on my memory for these things?!!!!

I have, I think, 4 types of lettuce and some spinach growing in starts.  I have to get my hubby to go into our sea containers and find some shelving units for me to use in the greenhouse for things like lettuce that doesn't get large.  

I discovered something that's working quite well for me for starting seeds:
I use 2 foot window box planter box insert:
August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Photo1_zpsbe5ea2ba

I plant my seedlings to a spacing that is equivalent to a 4" pot so that they can grow undisturbed until I set them out at a good size.  I even grow all my squash like this and they transplant perfectly.  Virtually nothing I transplant has any shock or setback at all.  This won't work for those who find space at a premium but I thought I'd share.  

Recently I've started covering my seeds with a thin layer of straw.  In our super hot and dry climate the straw helps hold in the moisture the seeds need and I'm not having to water several times a day.  It also absorbs the force of the water and my seeds are staying where I planted them.  I use a long wand sprayer that has no adjustment to force.  It's fairly gentle but in the past at times my seeds have ended up in a pile where the water runs to.  

Also, seeds like lettuce that should have no business germinating in 106 degree temps germinated virtually 100% last week using this method.  Perhaps the light weight insulation and moisture retention of the straw?  These are radish seeds started 10 days ago.

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Photo2_zps68e5007f
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/6/2014, 3:19 am

Audrey,  Have you just recently started using straw as mulch in the boxes/containers?  I know you have other gardening methods so I just wanted to focus on its use as mulch.  I'm getting tired picking pine wood chips out of the MM when I need to add more compost mid growth.  The tulle cut-to-order is okay for round pots to keep the chips off the MM.  But it is a pain to lift up the tulle with chips in various squares to top dress, especially for 9 or 16 per square plants. I need to buy a bale of straw for the upcoming new compost pile so I will have some left over.
Here's the SQ corn, DT beans and a paltry few soy beans in the TT.
August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas Table_15
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/6/2014, 1:09 pm

I put down a layer of straw- about 2"- and let it mat down after watering a few times, then throw on the chips. That way, when I 'm replanting, I can carefully pull up the mat and the chips together. It makes it a little bit cleaner, but there always seems to be a few chips that escape.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/6/2014, 1:15 pm

Yardslave, that's a great idea.  I'll start doing that.  I have left over straw so that's why I'm using it on them.  With seedlings, it's easier for them to make it up through the straw, then when I plant them in their final home I add the wood chips around them.  

I am experiencing absolutely no issues from the few stray wood chips that get into my Mel's mix, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.  I have a bucket that I lift off the chips in a square and place them into.  I add my compost, plant my seeds and then have been putting the chips back down.  I'm going to start putting the straw down until the seedlings come up and are large enough then replace my wood chip layer.  

One nice thing about using the straw after planting a square is that I don't forget I planted it!  It stands out from the rest of the squares so I know it's filled.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next