Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 Toplef10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 I22gcj10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 Toplef10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 I22gcj10August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas

+8
countrynaturals
yolos
Kelejan
Yardslave
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
NHGardener
sanderson
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 Empty Re: August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas

Post  sanderson 8/31/2016, 8:59 pm

bounce You are back! Happy to see you back gardening.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

August:  What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas - Page 4 Empty Re: August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas

Post  Yardslave 8/31/2016, 11:48 pm

Thanks S', good good to he back and catch up on with the SFG posts and see what needs attention around my gardens. I have to remind myself more often to schedule vacations around my gardens, cause it's real hard to play catch up after a long vacation.....that and go through the mail to find the bills piling up- that's another story.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/1/2016, 2:22 am

I liked taking a vacation early Oct. The summer stuff is out and the winter plants are just in. I have drip that I can set for lots of watering while we are gone. Maybe April would be another good time. Winter plants (except garlic, onions, carrots and parsnips) are out and summer plants are in.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/2/2017, 3:14 pm

Gads, it's already August! Depending on the Zone, there isn't a lot of planting or starting seedlings at this time. For the hotter zones, water, mulch, water, shade and water are the main activities at this time. Stay on top of harvesting in the heat.

Now, September is a great month for starting the winter crops: kale, Swiss chard, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, root crops, peas, garlic, etc. Very Happy

What is everyone doing?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/2/2017, 4:47 pm

The only thing I'm "planting" is mouse traps in my SFG beds. The voles are going like gangbusters. They have decimated at least 80% of all my tomatoes- I'm so disheartened- the majority of all this season's harvest has now gone down the throats of those cursed rodents Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/2/2017, 7:41 pm

Sad Oh, no! I am so sorry. Have they invaded due to the domino effect of the wet spring? Rain = lots of grasses growing = vole population explosion = vole invasion. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2017, 7:42 pm

Yardslave wrote:The only thing I'm "planting" is mouse traps in my SFG beds. The voles are going like gangbusters. They have decimated at least 80% of all my tomatoes- I'm so disheartened- the majority of all this season's harvest has now gone down the throats of those cursed rodents Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Are they eating the fruits or the roots?  Aren't they underground kinda things?  Like moles?  But smaller?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/2/2017, 8:48 pm

Yardslave wrote:The only thing I'm "planting" is mouse traps in my SFG beds. The voles are going like gangbusters. They have decimated at least 80% of all my tomatoes- I'm so disheartened- the majority of all this season's harvest has now gone down the throats of those cursed rodents Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Why is it always the tomatoes they get? We don't have rodents cuz we have so many cats. Here it's the weather and chickens that get my tomatoes. Next year mine will all go into the Salad Bar where the chickens can't get them. Still looking for some varieties that can survive our heat. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/2/2017, 8:55 pm

I'm planting some snow white cherry tomatoes to bring in the house this winter. I also transplanted a squash from a Jiffy Pellet to a peat pot on the deck. It's too blasted hot to put anything out in the world. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2017, 9:32 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Why is it always the tomatoes they get? We don't have rodents cuz we have so many cats. Here it's the weather and chickens that get my tomatoes. Next year mine will all go into the Salad Bar where the chickens can't get them. Still looking for some varieties that can survive our heat. Evil or Very Mad
Right?????  Why always the tomatoes??!!!???!!!!! Mad
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/3/2017, 9:49 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Are they eating the fruits or the roots?  Aren't they underground kinda things?  Like moles?  But smaller?
The other name for voles is meadow mice. They are adorable, chubby mice that are voracious beasts that I don't mind in the yard, but don't want in my garden. I have traps, too, for the few that don't respect my fence and burrow in under it. I built an Eliot Coleman style trap box to house a pair of them - too many bird visitors to the garden to risk uncovered traps. I also tried using a plastic gutter piece as a cover, but the spacing is a little too tight for the traps I have, and the edge of the gutter keeps settings the traps off if it gets jostled lightly.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/8/2017, 10:06 am

I replanted corn, yesterday. My Walla Walla onions are up. I planted those out of frustration. I'm sure it's the wrong time of year, but they can't do any worse than the last ones that I thought I planted right. My Burpee order has shipped, so I will be planting butter beans, Sweet 100s, and Sungold tomatoes, soon. I also need to replant artichoke seeds -- only one came up.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/2/2018, 3:39 am

This July was a hot and smokey one. Now we are in August, you know, the hot month of summer. It's hard to reinvent the wheel for each month, every year. So, I'm just quoting what I wrote last year at this time.

sanderson wrote:Gads, it's already August!  Depending on the Zone, there isn't a lot of planting or starting seedlings at this time.  For the hotter zones, water, mulch, water, shade and water are the main activities at this time.  Stay on top of harvesting in the heat.

Now, September is a great month for starting the winter crops: kale, Swiss chard, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, root crops, peas, garlic, etc.  Very Happy  

What is everyone doing?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/2/2018, 10:35 am

countrynaturals wrote:I replanted corn, yesterday. My Walla Walla onions are up. I planted those out of frustration. I'm sure it's the wrong time of year, but they can't do any worse than the last ones that I thought I planted right. My Burpee order has shipped, so I will be planting butter beans, Sweet 100s, and Sungold tomatoes, soon. I also need to replant artichoke seeds -- only one came up.
What a difference from last year. This year, I'm being treated like a criminal, not allowed on my own property. Some of our neighbors found a way back in and they're watering whatever's left of our plants.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4