Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Toplef10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 I22gcj10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Toplef10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 I22gcj10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

+10
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
NanSFG
Goosegirl
AtlantaMarie
FamilyGardening
Ukeman
sanderson
Kelejan
kauairosina
14 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  sanderson 4/12/2017, 8:46 pm

From Rosina:

Some of you might remember how I had to fight to get asparagus starts because the supplier knew they would not grow in Hawaii.  Pretty good eh?What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Aspara10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  sanderson 5/6/2017, 3:19 pm

From Rosina:

Lettuces. Rouge d'hiver, Regina, Green tower romaine, about one head  per square foot.  And, leeks.  What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Lettuc11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 5/6/2017, 4:26 pm

Many mahalos for posting my pics Sanderson.  Love seeing them on our site.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/6/2017, 7:17 pm

Your asparagus looks great, Rosina, as do your lettuce etc.  I must wacth that recording I think I still have of the islands; I remember each on is different.

Do you ever resent the holiday makers or do they leave you alone?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 5/6/2017, 10:59 pm

You mean the tourists?  We are getting a lot of the one-percenters and some of them are very demanding and nasty.  My housemate, Anne, comes home with all kinds of stories.  

One thing is that some folks visiting don't realize that with the tropics you also get things like cockroaches and even though the lodgings are exterminated the buggas sometimes show up and scare the bejesus out of the visitors.

On a daily basis I am not affected.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Empty What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  kauairosina 5/6/2017, 11:07 pm

Yes, each island is very different.  

Oahu is very metropolitan, reminds me of Los Angeles.  Crowded, lots of concrete, traffic woes.

Maui is touristy and greenery can be found, especially in the high country where they grow blueberries and strawberries and persimmons.

Lanai has been taken over by Larry Ellsworth and has lost the charm it once had as he has bought everything up.

The big island (Hawaii) is different in every area, from volcanoes to beaches and open space.

Our island, Kauai, is still pretty nice, some greenery still, but becoming crowded and traffic jams are a pain on the east side. 

If you are every coming this way let me know and I will recommend.

Aloha,
Kauairosina
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/6/2017, 11:34 pm

I believe that one person should never take over an island, especially if there are people living there. 

All the lovely places get priced out by the one per-centers; islands like Jersey and Guernsey in the channel Islands where the original inhabitants cannot afford to live, and all the lovely places where the rich purchase their second homes and only live in them for a few weeks during the nice weather.  Rant over, Rosina.  One never knows when a stroke of luck would enable me to visit your Islands.

My late SIL and BIL used to visit your Islands on a regular basis, but they had a good income as a Dr. of Education and a Teacher of Gifted Children. It my my sister-in-law who was the doctor of Ed. They lived in Vancouver, B.C.

I also get the feeling that The Islands are being overused by humanity. Just like the little island we have here that is located in the Columbia river at the junction with the Kootenay River. Some years ago is was reclaimed from being a wilderness that no one went to; then a consortium of people wanted to buy the island and to build houses there but their application was refused and it was taken over by the city as a park.   So a group of people prettied it up and made trails and cut down brush and generally tided it up. Labelled trees and shrubs, spruced up a the house that was built in the imitation of a chapel with a spire by a very old man who retired and then died there,  That group of people aged and retired with no one to take over. N ow the trails look worn out,  trees and shrubs are overgrown and dying. etc.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/7/2017, 1:32 pm

I give, who is Larry Ellsworth? I Binged and there were so many men with that name?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Empty What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  kauairosina 5/7/2017, 2:30 pm

My bad.  We all know of him well here.  He is the head of the software company Oracle which is a big player with major data base stuff.  My good friend Ned was employee number 17 and they currently have more than 25,000 people working for them now. He does these big sailing competitions and has totally screwed Lanai as far as I am concerned.  So there.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 5/7/2017, 2:47 pm

"One never knows when a stroke of luck would enable me to visit your Islands."

I would so love to meet you here on our lovely island of Kauai.  We are the same age and probably go at about the same rate of speed.. Slow.

Keep planning.

Aloha,
Ellie
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/18/2017, 3:45 pm

From Rosina

The last of this round of emerite and manoa green beans and almost the last of the asparagus.

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 5 Beans_11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/20/2017, 6:15 am

Beautiful!

Rosina, do you grow lettuce all year long? Do you cover them from heat?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 5/20/2017, 12:51 pm

Yes, we do.  No problem.  Some sprout better at different times like my favorite, Magenta.  We shade them for a couple of days when we first transplant.  I'll send a picture one of these days of our portable shade thingees.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/20/2017, 11:00 pm

kauairosina wrote:You mean the tourists?  We are getting a lot of the one-percenters and some of them are very demanding and nasty.  My housemate, Anne, comes home with all kinds of stories.  

One thing is that some folks visiting don't realize that with the tropics you also get things like cockroaches and even though the lodgings are exterminated the buggas sometimes show up and scare the bejesus out of the visitors.

On a daily basis I am not affected.

They probably complain about the chickens too...  Very Happy
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 5/20/2017, 11:07 pm

Oh my yes.  Tourists get very upset about the roosters crowing at 2 am.  Doesn't stop them from coming however.  Too bad.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5