Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019

3 posters

Go down

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 Empty CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019

Post  Kelejan 8/31/2019, 8:58 pm

It will soon be the Autumnal Equinox and the daylight hours will be fewer and the temperature will once again slip down towards winter.  Brrr.

But still there is plenty to do; one of my tasks is to have a go at my compost pile, turn it over or something as I have really neglected it this year. then spread the good stuff where it is needed.

What is on your itinerary?  My main one is to process the apples on my tree that has an abundance this year. I have canned some, eaten many of them and now I am into dehydrating as many as possible.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019

Post  sanderson 9/5/2019, 2:11 pm

You resurrected that little apple tree and now it is thanking you in abundance. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019

Post  Kelejan 9/5/2019, 2:41 pm

My dear sanderson. sometimes abundance can be far too much. Very Happy I have spent another hour this morning preparing these apples and have six new trays beginning their session in the dehydrator. That hour includes clearing up and disposing of the apples waste into the compost pile.  I cannot do any more today until the present ones have finished drying.

No one seems to want free apples, even though you give them the best ones off the ones that you picked. People seem very happy to be given a canned jar of apples when you have provided the apples, the sugar, the work and the jar itself.

Very few people want to pick fruit from a tree, be it apple, red or yellow plums, etc.
When I had my old neighbour living next door to me he was happy to have all the windfalls that he picked up himself, and gave me apple juice that he made every year. In return I gave him lots of dried apples and even then he gave me apple pies and tarts that he made himself. 

Can you tell that I miss him? He and old George the other side of menext door kept my driveway clear of snow every winter and assured me they would do it all the time they were they.  R.I.P. Art and George.

Today, for the first time, I did not pick two full pails of apples. I think now I am on the home stretch. These apples are the best I have had. So much larger  and as I pick them some of them straight off the tree, so much easier to work with. If I go away next year, I will make sure I go earlier so that I have time to thin the apples, also the tree will be much smaller so that I do not climb into the upper branches which I did last year, but not this year.  I intend to make sure that every branch is with my reach using no more than a step stool, and that no branch hangs over my neighbour's border line. 

As a gardener, five weeks is far to long to be away.  Perhaps I should  travel in the winter?  Any time except high summer?

Last edited by Kelejan on 9/12/2019, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/12/2019, 11:23 am

My apple tree is still dominating my life.  Each day I go out and pick the apples, mostly windfalls, but some lovely ones still on the tree that I try to use immediately to place in my dehydrator as these apples spoil so quickly.  They are Transparencies.

Then they took me the best part of an hour an to prepare, fill my six trays and clean up, but now as the apples are a better quality and larger it only takes half the time as the apples are getting larger and the ones I pick off the tree are  perfect so there is no cutting out bruised bits, I discard green apples, or too small etc. The ones I collect daily can now be processed without losing any  good ones.  It still takes the same time to dry but then that allows me to do other things.

I belong to a women's group that meets Wednesdays, so I took twenty packets of dried apples to see if anyone wanted them.  It seemed they did so the packets were given to anyone interested who liked to eat them as a snack, or re-hydrate to use in cooking. We had a group cooking session and yesterday I came away with a beef stew in two containers, enough for four dinners, and also ate lunch there consisting of the same stew plus a dessert.  I think in the near future someone will be making apple pie as some of the packets were given to the group itself.

Meanwhile there are stil hundreds of lovely looking apples still left on the tree, and in a few moment I will go and collect another bucket of apples.

That is what you get when you treat an old and failing apple tree with wood chips.  Just allow time to work its magic then you can complain of an over abundance.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/12/2019, 12:07 pm

Kelejan wrote:That is what you get when you treat an old and failing apple tree with wood chips.  Just allow time to work its magic then you can complain of an over abundance.

That is one of my projects for this fall after we return from our fall month-long RV trip to the Mojave.  I have an apple tree and a pear tree that are a little over 30 years old, and in need of help. I already have my name on the waiting list to get a big load of wood chips.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4551

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/12/2019, 12:36 pm

So long as you are patient, OG  Next year you will get lots more leaves, then the year after you will really see a change.  The third year was when I had the best apples ever.  Trees do need lots of water and as I was away this year and it did not rain during the five weeks, I was so surprised that now I am getting lovely magget-free and tasty apples

My tree was old when I moved in there in 1996 and only produced little maggety apples.  I know now that a tree needs to be in good health to repel these invaders that suck the life out of apples.  Next year I will have to prune it so that I can reach the top of the tree standing on a step-stool.  All the best ones are out of my physical reach.

After the first lot of chips, the following year I placed another layer.

When al the leaves are down, the tree is rather an ugly sight.  One trunk and another branch off to one side. Yet all the growth has been from there and it looks quite shapely when in leaf. Good luck in getting your chips and getting them down before winter so that the ground can store the water.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2019, 4:43 pm

Wood chips have helped cut down with watering my orange tree in the summer. The chips and dead leaves slowly break down during the rainy season.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down