Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? Toplef10How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? I22gcj10How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? Toplef10How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? I22gcj10How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season?

+7
herbarium
Megan
silverbug
Squat_Johnson
chocolatepop
boffer
milaneyjane
11 posters

Go down

How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? Empty How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season?

Post  milaneyjane 6/22/2010, 4:55 pm

Just thinking ahead here how do you cover your boxes to keep weed seeds from blowing in after you are done? I am in zone 4 with lots of snow and cold in the winter, windy in the fall. I have the composite beds so I really can't nail or screw anything into them. I also have to consider the snow etc... that we get so I am thinking I need something porous for the water to get through but not the seeds. Any ideas? I was almost debating twin bed sheets that I tack down into the soil (they go on sale in the fall when kids go back to school.

Thanks!
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? Empty Re: How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season?

Post  boffer 6/22/2010, 5:04 pm

I make plastic pup tents to keep the ~25 inches of winter rain from washing nutrients out of my soil and keep them clear of maple tree whirlybirds.
How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? Winter10
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? Empty Re: How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season?

Post  milaneyjane 6/22/2010, 5:11 pm

Boffer---do you think they would hold up under 3 feet of snow? Never thought about washing the nutrients out, but then, for me, the ground is frozen and nothing is washing out I suppose.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/22/2010, 5:21 pm

I just use painters plastic and bricks, logs, rocks, to hold it down.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/22/2010, 5:26 pm

Has anyone experimented with an over winter crop like winter wheat to add nitrogen to the soil?
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 6/22/2010, 5:37 pm

Hm, I wasn't planning on doing anything. Now you've got me wondering.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/22/2010, 6:09 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:Has anyone experimented with an over winter crop like winter wheat to add nitrogen to the soil?

No, but I've been thinking about it for a while now. I was looking at Hairy Vetch but the little comment about it becoming a perennial if allowed to set seed worries me just a tetch. The others (in the Baker Creek catalog) seem to want to be planted late summer but I intend to still have regular crops going then.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/22/2010, 6:25 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:Has anyone experimented with an over winter crop like winter wheat to add nitrogen to the soil?

TMW when I can just add some 5 way compost!

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 6/22/2010, 8:18 pm

I haven't ever covered mine and really haven't had a problem with weeds. I add more compost in the spring before planting and it does not appear that I have had a problem with nutrients leaching.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/22/2010, 8:22 pm

I do have a mature maple tree not too far away (neighbors yard) which does shower us with twirlies every year, so a cover isn't a bad idea now that I've torn out almost all the grass and just open beds left. Just need to figure out what.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/22/2010, 10:31 pm

A giant shower cap would be just the thing.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/22/2010, 10:48 pm

Chopper wrote:A giant shower cap would be just the thing.
and paint the veggies on it that you'll be dreaming of growing when spring finally gets here...
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/23/2010, 1:02 pm

I'm in Maine where winter snows covered my raised beds last winter.
How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? 02-14-10
This is a picture taken Feb 14th. When the snow melted and higher temps warmed the soil, I didn't find any excess weeds seeding in my beds.

This winter after harvest I plan on digging the fallen leaves into my beds and then sowing winter rye on top of my beds, but only for its nutrient value when its turned under next spring.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 6/23/2010, 1:24 pm

So some have covered and others haven't. I am a little leary not covering them because we have a lot of tall grasses and trees right near the gardens (blowing fall winds) and I would hate to have done all this work only to have to start weeding like before. Tons of weeds each year. I think I might try the plastic and rocks.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 6/23/2010, 7:48 pm

Kind of interesting, but my helicopters, whirlies, whatever seed pod thingies from the maple (HUGE thing) in my back yard all come down after planting is done, so, I'm pulling out trees from the SFG still....MASSIVE crops of maple trees growing in the gutter (that's hubby's job) and it seems that clusters of the things find their way under my grid. A cover wouldn't solve that problem for me, unless it were some kind of netting that I kept in place for the whole planting and initial growing phase. I think the last of them stopped falling only 2 or 3 weeks ago.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/23/2010, 8:02 pm

silverbug wrote:Kind of interesting, but my helicopters, whirlies, whatever seed pod thingies from the maple (HUGE thing) in my back yard all come down after planting is done, so, I'm pulling out trees from the SFG still....MASSIVE crops of maple trees growing in the gutter (that's hubby's job) and it seems that clusters of the things find their way under my grid. A cover wouldn't solve that problem for me, unless it were some kind of netting that I kept in place for the whole planting and initial growing phase. I think the last of them stopped falling only 2 or 3 weeks ago.

We finally broke down and got gutter covers just on account of that. They are a bit expensive but pays for itself pretty quickly. (For various reasons, neither of us will go up on a ladder that high.) Well worth it. I am always plucking baby maples out of the yard, too.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 6/23/2010, 8:13 pm

didn't cover last year thinking NO weeds near my garden area. Wrong so many blew in from who knows where it was a horrible mess.

I will be covering with plastic lightly nailed to the boxes.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC 6/24/2010, 9:25 am

Page 176-177 of the ANSFG book covers this topic. I like the idea of covering them with a holiday table cloth and adding some ribbon to make them look like Christmas presents. What a cute idea.

As for mine, last year they just sat there, the dogs slept in them, dug in them, and I learned to cover them this year. might do the table cloth idea, but not holiday themed, since winter lasts like 9 months here, and it needs to span everything from Halloween to Easter.
PeggyC
PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2010, 9:36 am

silverbug wrote:...but my helicopters, whirlies, whatever seed pod thingies from the maple (HUGE thing) in my back yard all come down after planting is done...
I just remembered Choksaw talking about that same problem a couple months ago. Here's his solution, and there's a few more pics in his gallery.

How do you cover your boxes at the end of the season? Leaf_s12
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down