Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Toplef10Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? I22gcj10Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Toplef10Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? I22gcj10Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Sun May 05, 2024 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?

+4
quiltbea
staf74
Kelejan
MoneyMan94
8 posters

Go down

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Empty Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?

Post  MoneyMan94 Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Living on Long Island (NY) we will be getting our first frost shortly. I have broccoli, cabbage, spinach, and lettuce in my garden right now. I have done some research on using Agribon (30) to cover the garden and lengthen my season. This is my first time attempting any fall vegetables.

I am wondering if anyone has used this in the past and if there are any words of wisdom you can impart on your experiences.

Thanks

Rob
MoneyMan94
MoneyMan94

Male Posts : 38

http://StrategyBasedProfits.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Empty Re: Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?

Post  Kelejan Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm

No, I have not. Do you have any opinion on it, Rob?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Empty Re: Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?

Post  staf74 Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:49 pm

I and a few others had a thread of "winterizing experiment" or "winterizing update" last fall. BBG had a good one "hoop house question, please solve" (I think). Not specific to Agribon I'm afraid but lots of great info about season extension. If you can, get a hold of Eliot Colemans books. The "winter harvest handbook" and "four season gardening" both have references to Agribon if my memory serves me correct. The BEST season extension books out there IMO, bar none. You will get MUCH more insulation from double row covers, one closer to the plants that traps ambient heat rising up from under your bed and trapped in your mix from daily sunlight. Good luck ! I love season extension and just about ready to go again with my hoop house.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  MoneyMan94 Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Kelejan wrote:No, I have not. Do you have any opinion on it, Rob?

Kelejan - From what I have read about it the covers are a huge help in protecting your plants. The thing I am struggling with most is what grade to use (19, 30, 50, etc). The 30 seems to be a good one for frost protection and allowing light to enter.

On a trip upstate last week with my daughter we passed many farms, some of which had the Agribon already on their plants and others that had 3’ diameter rolls (lots of them) on their land waiting to go on. Being that these farmers are growing as a business I feel it must be worth using.

I did go ahead and order the 30 and I bought some ½” and 1” gray electrical conduit to create the hoops. For a 4’ x 8’ bed I will drive 12” of the 1” pipe into the ground just outside of my raised bed. The ½” pipes fit inside of them and they will form the hoops. In the spring I will remove the 1” pipes from the ground and save them for next year.
MoneyMan94
MoneyMan94

Back to top Go down

Post  MoneyMan94 Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 pm

staf74 wrote:I and a few others had a thread of "winterizing experiment" or "winterizing update" last fall. BBG had a good one "hoop house question, please solve" (I think). Not specific to Agribon I'm afraid but lots of great info about season extension. If you can, get a hold of Eliot Colemans books. The "winter harvest handbook" and "four season gardening" both have references to Agribon if my memory serves me correct. The BEST season extension books out there IMO, bar none. You will get MUCH more insulation from double row covers, one closer to the plants that traps ambient heat rising up from under your bed and trapped in your mix from daily sunlight. Good luck ! I love season extension and just about ready to go again with my hoop house.

staf74 – You are spot on with Elliot Coleman’s books they are great. And I couldn’t agree more that if you are able to have the double covers it is so much better than just the Agribon.
I do not have the time to get it done this year but I will be searching Craig’s list (and others) for free materials to use to create this for next year.
Thanks again for the feedback.

I would still like to hear from anyone that has used Agribon (or its equivalent) in the past. Good or bad will both be helpful.
MoneyMan94
MoneyMan94

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Yes, I've used the cover to extend crops. It worked in the early spring for temps down to 28*F when I planted before the last frost and it worked last fall when I covered against a few cold snaps. It helped extend my harvest. I'd say use it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 am

Hey Rob,

I lived on the Island for 5 years. Oakdale and East Islip but worked all over and loved it but do NOT miss the traffic on the L.I.E .....lol.

Deffo use the floating row cover. Can I trouble you for some specifics? How far along are your plants? That will tell you how serious you need to get re: season extension. If Broccoli is headed up already, you might just need two weeks to bring it to maturity and just Agribon might be fine. If not, then another cover will help, as you know, tremendously. That does not entail much work at all. My assumption might be wrong but if you have 4x4 beds, then four rebar and two 10 ft plastic pipes and throwing even a sleeping bag or plastic cover from the paint section at Lowes (plus Agribon nearer plants) will give you piece of mind down to probably 20 degrees or even the teens if done well. A 10 minute job will enhance your Agribon no end and it can be done with any existing material to hold perhaps an old sheet or sleeping bag in place over your bed if you can't afford rebar/plastic or a trip to Lowes right now. I was always worried every night with just one cover and like QB states: 26-28 degrees was about as much as I could get also with just the one layer, Agribon or not. So if you want to cheat just the first few frosts, then you'll be fine. I know I have not used Agribon so sorry to chime in again but #30 on its own will only give you at most, 6 degrees of protection. Remember, the forecast might say 28 but your particular microclimate in your back yard might be considerably less than that. Mine is at least 2/3 degrees lower than the forecast for my zipcode.

Now using my old Christmas lights for additional heat........that's a whole other story.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  MoneyMan94 Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:40 am

staf74 wrote:Hey Rob, I lived on the Island for 5 years. Oakdale and East Islip but worked all over and loved it but do NOT miss the traffic on the L.I.E .....lol. .

Traffic is certainly an issue and as for the LIE I am sure you remember its nickname "The Largest Parking Lot In The World"!

staf74 wrote: Deffo use the floating row cover. Can I trouble you for some specifics? How far along are your plants? That will tell you how serious you need to get re: season extension. If Broccoli is headed up already, you might just need two weeks to bring it to maturity and just Agribon might be fine. If not, then another cover will help, as you know, tremendously. That does not entail much work at all. My assumption might be wrong but if you have 4x4 beds, then four rebar and two 10 ft plastic pipes and throwing even a sleeping bag or plastic cover from the paint section at Lowes (plus Agribon nearer plants) will give you piece of mind down to probably 20 degrees or even the teens if done well. A 10 minute job will enhance your Agribon no end and it can be done with any existing material to hold perhaps an old sheet or sleeping bag in place over your bed if you can't afford rebar/plastic or a trip to Lowes right now. I was always worried every night with just one cover and like QB states: 26-28 degrees was about as much as I could get also with just the one layer, Agribon or not. So if you want to cheat just the first few frosts, then you'll be fine. I know I have not used Agribon so sorry to chime in again but #30 on its own will only give you at most, 6 degrees of protection. Remember, the forecast might say 28 but your particular microclimate in your back yard might be considerably less than that. Mine is at least 2/3 degrees lower than the forecast for my zipcode. .

My plants are fairly young, no heading yet on the broccoli (they are 6 - 8" tall) the lettuce is 1 - 2" tall. What I did was put up a hoop house with 3.5 mil plastic over the bed for now. I will be placing the agribon over the plants to create a second layer and increase the temperature at the level of the plants.

Here is the link to the post I put up with pictures of the hoop house

Hoop House Tutorial

staf74 wrote: Now using my old Christmas lights for additional heat........that's a whole other story.

I like the idea of using old Christmas lights on cold nights, I need to get into the attic to find mine and try it out.

Thanks
Rob
MoneyMan94
MoneyMan94

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:15 am

where is the best place/web site to purchase agribon?

have you found it works well to keep out aphids?...we were thinking about getting the 15 strength....light weight one

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 am

I got mine from johnnyseeds.com but you can get it from most garden supply house catalogs. There are different weights, the higher the number the more frost protection.

The AG-30 gives 70% light transmission, the AG-50 has more freeze protection with 50% light transmission, and the AG-70 has the most protection but only 30% light transmission.

I'm sure a plastic-covered hoop house with agribon over the plants themselves would give improved frost protection.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I use agribon 19 purchased from johnnyseeds also. I usually fold it double to get twice the protection but it gets a lot less light if doubled up. I put it on at night and uncover during the day. We have very wide swings in temperature from night to day and it has to be uncovered during the day. 30* last night and about 69* today.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:54 pm

California, here.  I was about to cheap sell all of my old Agribon and I'm glad I didn't get around to it.  I have some tomatoes and all of the peppers, luffa, summer squashes and cucumber already planted.  The weather report showed a change in our normal lovely spring.  So, I put the Agribon on everything planted.  We got down to 39*F one night and even had rain, thunderstorms (which means hail to me).  Locals posted photos of their hail on Facebook.  I must have been napping after installing all of the covers.  sawing logs
Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Agribo10

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Agribo11

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Agribo12

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:54 pm

sanderson wrote:

Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season? Agribo11

Are those cat guards on the raised beds?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4534

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Yep.  New experiment.

For the winter, the green bird netting tightly secured over winterized beds worked well.  Winter beds that were planted with brassicas were completely  covered with bridal tulle.

This spring, I tried wrapping the summer-planted beds with 2' tall netting or bridal tulle, and it was too easy for them to pull it down to get in and out.  

So far the orange fencing is working great.  I will direct sow the beans in the holes.  I did little extra cut outs for the tomatoes and peppers as the main stems tend to get thick and even lean some.  Stay tune.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down