Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 Toplef10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 I22gcj10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 Toplef10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 I22gcj10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

ToMaTo TuEsDaY! Western mountains & high plains!

+16
Triciasgarden
donnainzone5
llama momma
jazzycat
JocyMc
Lillyz
mollyhespra
mschaef
saffron303
GWN
moswell
Turan
camprn
plantoid
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 Empty Re: ToMaTo TuEsDaY! Western mountains & high plains!

Post  cheyannarach 8/22/2012, 9:51 pm

Came home today and was going to make some salsa and the deer had found my sauce tomatoes and demolished them, Ate all the ripe toms took bites out of the green toms and ate every single leaf on the plants... Mad I had these plants surrounded by pumpkins and this is the first time they had been found. Evil or Very Mad
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 Empty Re: ToMaTo TuEsDaY! Western mountains & high plains!

Post  RoOsTeR 8/22/2012, 9:55 pm

Ugh! Sorry you've had such a struggle with the deer this year Cheyanne. Let me know if you'd like some of my green zebra seeds for the spring.

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/22/2012, 9:56 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Ugh! Sorry you've had such a struggle with the deer this year Cheyanne. Let me know if you'd like some of my green zebra seeds for the spring.
That so stinks...............I can send you some Gilbertie seeds too.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/22/2012, 10:15 pm

I would LOVE seeds! Thanks so much Rooster and Camprn!

I have come to terms with the deer (for the most part) this year and am going to be on one heck of a mission this winter to fix the problem before next spring! It has never been like this but we have a neighbor down the road about a quarter mile down from us that feeds them by hand, they are basically domesticated, so I think that's what making it harder. I do stop my car and sneak out grab a couple of handfuls of gravel and run after them screaming and throwing rocks when I catch them in the driveway, hubby says it doesn't help but it helps me feel better.

Shocked This was him the first time he saw me do it!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/22/2012, 10:33 pm

Send me a SASE and I will send seeds back to you when they are done drying.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/22/2012, 10:57 pm

Consider it done! Thank you!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/21/2012, 10:59 pm

Alrighty tomato growers I have a question since I really dont like raw tomatoes: what are the best tomatos to grow and eat raw? Also which kinds are best to can or make sauce with? I want to start planning my garden for next year and get the seeds I will need, thanks

p.s. my boys love raw tomatoes and I am going to try to change my taste buds to liking them if possible thinking
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/22/2012, 12:23 am

mschaef wrote:Alrighty tomato growers I have a question since I really dont like raw tomatoes: what are the best tomatos to grow and eat raw? Also which kinds are best to can or make sauce with? I want to start planning my garden for next year and get the seeds I will need, thanks

p.s. my boys love raw tomatoes and I am going to try to change my taste buds to liking them if possible thinking

Great Falls is not the easiest place to grow tomatoes. Just a warning Wink
Cherry tomatoes are usually the tastiest and easiest to grow.
There are varieties like Stupice, Beaverlodge series, that are selected for short growing seasons with out too much coddling. They are all determinates. I do not find them the tastiest raw but good for sauce. I have a greenhouse so have broader selection available now.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/22/2012, 1:22 am

My favorite raw tomatoes would include all tomatoes, lol, but if I had to narrow it down there is nothing better than popping a sweet 100 in your mouth while tending the garden, I love all yellow tomatoes as well and as far as saucing goes romas seem to be quite popular. I am not fond of raw romas though... Just my two cents.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/22/2012, 12:48 pm

I had good luck with Sunsugar cherry tomatoes last summer grown in a pot. They set fruit early and kept on going, was my most successful of the orphans (left over nursery sale tomatoes) I grew. That with a Sweet 100 make good snacking tomatoes. I hear SunGold is almost as easy to grow and as sweet tasty. Then look in the nurseries to see what kind of determinate saucing tomato they recommend in your area and get a 4 pack. For starting a garden you will lots of other stuff to do.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/25/2013, 10:54 pm

Guess what?!?!?!?!?! I started some tomatoes today! Too early I know but they got the best of me, what can I say! I have time to recover if something goes wrong! I started some:

Dakota Golds
Bisons
Gilberties (thanks Camp)
Cherry Falls
Golden Gems
IIldis
Amish Pastes
Hawiiaan Pineapples
Orange Icicles
Delicious

I know I am early but here's ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 3170584802 to hoping for the best!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/26/2013, 12:01 am

Good for you! You make my fingers itch to get started. If you keep potting them up it should work. Maybe you can have them all the way to 5 gallon buckets by time to plant outside Shocked

According to Johnnyseeds and Farmers ALmanac I should not start untill April 9th or 18th. I'll err on hte side of April Fools day I suspect Razz

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 2/26/2013, 8:55 am

Tomatoes on Tax Day is how I was taught it for my area. Being as we're both in zone 4, it sounds about right...but I agree with you & will probably "cheat", too, LOL!!!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/26/2013, 11:13 am

Tomatoes on tax day, lol! I like it! Turan, that's my goal to have them close to producing by the time they go out! I figure with our shorter growing season it's worth a try!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/28/2013, 11:59 am

I've up potted my tomatoes and so far they're doing pretty good! I dropped one onto another yesterday and had some damage Shocked and a couple leaves were touching the window and got to cold I believe and now are not looking to good, but for the most part cheers

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 20130428_095105_zps5f34cc1e
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 20130428_095118_zps431dcff3
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 20130428_095147_zps37169dee

How's everyone else's in the Western Mountains and High Plains regions fairing?

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 Empty Re:

Post  Lillyz 4/28/2013, 4:07 pm

Lost most of the tomatoes and eggplants to damping off Sad . Have 3 that are hanging in there. I tried the peroxide drench but that didnt seem to work. This is the first year I had problems with damping off. I am sure it was from the seed starting mix. Went to HD and bought 3 indeterminates, I potted them up in MM and they are outside getting sun. Its supposed to get cold starting about Tuesday evening. Im going to hold off planting until we get night time temps in the 50's at least.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  JocyMc 4/29/2013, 3:10 pm

This is the 1st year that my tomato seeds actually thrived. Generally by now they're leggy with just one or two leaves and I give up on them and buy a few plants at the garden center. I'm going to start hardening them off tomorrow so I can plant them by Friday. I know it's early but I'm going to be gone for 10 days and don't have anyone to care for them. I do have my boxes covered with row cover cloth so that should keep them warm and protected.
JocyMc
JocyMc

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/8/2013, 7:20 am

I missed getting my tomatoes up last night for Tomato Tuesday Cool
They're going gangbusters! Hopefully, our weather changes so I can get these out of the house.

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 20130507_174330_zps6a26a3ff
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 20130507_174359_zpse42cb5eb

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/8/2013, 12:10 pm

Looking good Rooster! Much bigger than the last photos. Smile
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/9/2013, 12:39 am

Those look so nice. Mine are about a week or a bit more behind. I just put them into pots.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/9/2013, 4:08 pm

I guess I'm really far behind with my tomato seeds just planted them 3 days ago. My excuse for not starting seeds earlier is that I don't have much room in my house and Im not able to plant them until May 18 when the community garden opens up. I was also told that since when I live has such a short growing season to not start my own seeds but to buy plants which is what I was going to do but my kids decided that we needed to start seeds too. So we will see how it goes.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/9/2013, 5:01 pm

mschaef, we do have a shorter growing season, but that shouldn't stop you from starting your own seeds. Very Happy Typically start your tomatoes 8-10 weeks before your average last frost date. There are some great charts in the book for quick reference. I think it's great to share the growing experience with the kiddos, but this year you'll probably have to buy plants unfortunately. But it will be fun nonetheless and good experience for your kids ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 2 3170584802

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/10/2013, 11:05 am

Well my First starts I killed Sad , forgot them outside... Then I started another batch and just potted up a few days ago but they are still pretty puny. I can't plant them out until the first week of Juneish and I am hoping once they get to their permanent home they take off fast like they did last year!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/21/2013, 3:45 pm

I just planted my tomatoes out in my new greenhouse. 15 plants in a 2.5x12 foot bed.
smiles smiles smiles

The computer won't recognize the camera today. Maybe tonight I can post pics. I still need to get and lay some soaker hose in there. I will be gone over Memorial day weekend and leaving htem in the care of a teenager. I figure they are safer planted than neglected on the window sill.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/21/2013, 7:12 pm

My tomato plants (and the wife) are mad at me. The plants need to be in the ground right now! We've had a couple nights here in the 40's and hoping tonight will be the last. Either way, they are getting transplanted this week. My wife said she moved them in and out of the house today 5 times because of the wind. Once planted, I can tie them up to the trellis and the wind will be less of an issue. I'll try and get a couple of photo's of mine here in a bit. afro

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next