Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 Toplef10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 I22gcj10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 Toplef10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 I22gcj10ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

ToMaTo TuEsDaY! Western mountains & high plains!

+16
Triciasgarden
donnainzone5
llama momma
jazzycat
JocyMc
Lillyz
mollyhespra
mschaef
saffron303
GWN
moswell
Turan
camprn
plantoid
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 Empty Re: ToMaTo TuEsDaY! Western mountains & high plains!

Post  sanderson 8/14/2013, 3:00 am

I love looking at all of the different tomatoes shared on this Topic. I don't have any neat tomato photos to share. But . . . I did collect seeds from quite a few unusual (to me) tomatoes from the buckets of culls I collected from the Farmers' Market. Red, orange, yellow, yellow pear-shaped, red with green, red with black. I hope next year, with new compost and more experience, that I will be able to share on this topic. I did make some salsa with my small harvest of Homestead, Roma and Early Girl, and a few red skinny peppers (Cayenne or over ripe green chilis), and petite garlic I grew.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 Empty Re: ToMaTo TuEsDaY! Western mountains & high plains!

Post  Triciasgarden 8/14/2013, 10:15 pm

I haven't made salsa in years Sanderson!  Maybe this year!  It looks like the tomatoes and peppers will be done at the same time, can you believe such a thing!  You should post a picture of your salsa, that sounds wonderful!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/15/2013, 12:44 am

Tricia,  I didn't take a pic of the salsa but it looked just like the salsa in this topic:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t16265-round-3-canning-salsa?highlight=salsa

The recipe is the one I used.  I actually held a copy of the photo up to my pan to show my husband!!Embarassed
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/19/2013, 12:13 pm

Oh yummy, I can't wait to make salsa!  I have to wait until the tomatoes at my local greenhouse are ready though, mine got taken out by a hail storm  a few weeks ago!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/19/2013, 1:30 pm

This weekends pickings minus those eaten.
We grilled one of the Striped Roman tomatoes and some zuccini and some stuffed with cheese peppers for dinner.
ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 13-aug12

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/19/2013, 9:08 pm

Oh wow Turan, looks delicious!!  Nice pickins!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/19/2013, 11:53 pm

Very nice, Turan! And I love those pattypan squashes. All I'm getting are male flowers on almost all my squashes, unfortunately.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/20/2013, 12:03 am

Thanks you guys!
Marc, those male squash flowers are great to stuff, or just throw in a stir fry.  Very yummy.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/20/2013, 12:05 am

What do you stuff them with?

I tried one the other day just off the plant, and it didn't really taste like anything.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/20/2013, 12:14 am

Well it is my MIL that stuffs them, usually with bread crumbs and parm cheese.  She sometimes fritters them as well.  I just toss them in stir fry at the end.  DH loves them any way you can think up.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2013, 12:23 am

Turan,  very nice!ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 3170584802
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/20/2013, 4:21 am

Turan,  Yummy pickens!!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/20/2013, 7:30 am

Nice pickens Turan ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 3170584802 

ToMaTo TuEsDaY!  Western mountains & high plains! - Page 4 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/20/2013, 7:58 am

Great haul!  Can't wait until this heat wave ripens my 'maters!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/6/2013, 1:25 pm

Amazing how a week in the 30s can slow down tomato ripening. I have put a small space heater in the greenhouse to keep it above freezing on the nights that go into the 20s. I could go pick everything left and let them ripen on the counters but am curious to see how long the greenhouse can hold out. I am no longer watering in there through and have brought the peppers inside.

This year I had more tomato plants than I have ever grown, 20 plants of 12 varieties. So now seems like a good point to do a sum up of the season. All plants were in either a greenhouse or cold frame so I do not know how much my observations will help those of you with out such protections.

Sungold~ wonderful taste, rambunctious grower, ripening early and keeps on trucking. Growing again.

Sweet Million~ we have grown this for years but it was blown out of the water by the Sungold and is being replace next year by Sungold.

Oregon Spring~ disapointing. It did not set fruit terribly early or ripen early and those are supposed to be its strengths.

Stupice~ first tomatos set, first ripened (7/4), produced all season and I just picked the last ones (10/6). We like the flavor. They are a small golf ball size. Definite repeat.

Cherokee Purple~ yup we continue to love these and will grow again next year.

Big Beef~ yup still love these too. A BB and a CP cubed with some onion slivers and basil make a wonderful salad, and to put it over the top add fresh warm mozzarella.

Mortage Lifter~ not as good flavor as BB. Cracks a lot. Not worth the bother.

Purple Russian Paste~ interesting but the flavor was pretty bland even cooked.

Striped Roman~ power house of sauce/paste tomatoes. Great flavor fresh and cooked. I could see growing only these except that would be boring.

Cuore di Bue~ they were late taking off on the setting fruit part and still have lots of fruit on hte vines. If I have to bring in green tomatoes this fall most will be these. However the fruit has a wonderful flavor fresh and cooked. They roast wonderfully. I think they would like some place a zone warmer, even with the greenhouse. The jury is still out. Maybe I will grow only 1plant instead of 3 next year.

Principe Borghese~ I was told it was a bush and it is now 8 feet tall. It started ripening early, right after Stupice, and is still loaded. The fruits are golf ball size and hang in big trusses. They are a better cooking tomato than fresh eating. I'll grow one plant again next year and give it plenty of room.

Oroma~ the only plants in the cold frame. They set and ripened later than the others and then ripened with in a couple weeks. There was a lot of tomatoes from 5 short plants stuffed into a 3X4 cold frame. The flavor is acceptable for sauce.

I tried out both cages and twine and cages with twine extensions. All worked well. I am thinking that clean up will be so much easier with the twine that I might just go all that way next year. I had planted every 18" in 2 staggered rows thus fitting 15 plants into a 2.5X12 bed in a greenhouse. The plants all had enough room but getting to them could be a pain. I did some pruning, not my favorite thing. Next year I will go back to 24" spacings and the plants in the second row lined up with the first row. And the Principe Borghese gets the whole back corner to be rambunctious in Shocked 

So far we have 30 pints of tomato sauce/paste canned and a bunch of salsa. Lots more eaten fresh and in cooking these last months. There is more to come on the vine. If they can ripen that is one last canning batch but we will see. Maybe they will just trickle along giving us ripe tomatoes for another month......

All in all this has been the most productive tomato year since I moved back home to Montana. I owe much of this success to this community's ideas/ cheerleading/ infectious enthusiasm for gardening.
Thank you.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/29/2013, 11:26 am

I love this post! You gave me a good idea of some new tomatoes to try next year (Sungold and Striped Roman)! I would love so be able to put up that much sauce!! Are you still having any luck in the green house or did you pick the green ones?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/29/2013, 1:55 pm

I picked everything 2 weeks ago. The cold was slowly seeping in even with the heater in there. It seemed like the reserves of warmth in the soil were being exhausted and I was not willing to turn the heater up enough. So I picked 5 boxes (single layers) of green tomatoes and put everything with color on the counter. I have been cooking and freezing the tomatoes that are not eaten quickly. So far that is about 3 gallons of sauce. When they are all through ripening I will thaw all the batches and cook them down a bit more, add garlic and vinegar, and can them in quarts. Most of the green tomatoes are the Coure Di Bue and they ripen in a box with pretty good flavor.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/30/2013, 12:50 am

Well that is awesome Turan!  I might just surprise you with a visit just to demand sauce!  You're making me hungry!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/31/2013, 10:23 am

Turan, Thanks for the breakdown/ sum up of your tomatoes this year its awesome!!! Like Cheyannarach  I too will be adding the Sungold and Striped Roman to my list for next year. And since I live in Montana too maybe I will get similar results, maybe lol
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4